Outsider picks for Cheltenham

Sticking with Color Squadron in the opener, and one keeps catching my eye every time I look at the cross country race is Midnight Haze. Stepping up in trip, but a couple of them getting a little long in the tooth and I think could run well from the front at a big price (33/1).

If Overturn runs in the Champion Hurdle I might have a daft bet on him ew. Because he's not really a danger they couldwill totally ignore him if he sets off in front and with an easy lead he might just steal a place.

Walk On in his chosen race. He was awesome on his return and could win at big odds

After the first two results made my Cheltenham I thought why waste money<<<<<Idiot :rolleyes:

I get that as well. You sort of win enough money to feel satisfied and don't want to risk any of it. Risk aversion is one of the biggest hurdles (geddit!) to successful punting.

Cheers. I'm not really one to hunt for early value, but was writing the race up for TF, so had a glance at the early odds after I'd done my own tissue - I wouldn't have tipped him in the race, but the 33/1 was double his likely SP, so it had to be mentioned.

Good call Rory - jockey booking was a concern but great to see someone who's an important part of the team at Jackdaws Castle get his reward (and yourself too of course!) :)

Good call Rory - jockey booking was a concern but great to see someone who's an important part of the team at Jackdaws Castle get his reward (and yourself too of course!) :)
Cheers Martin - my Hills account will be truly kyboshed if Megastar (33/1) wins the Coral Cup - my £25 e/w singles on the pair were referred to a trader and then restricted, as was a similar sized bet on Peddlers Cross. My wife is currently opening up a raft of accounts in her maiden name. A bittersweet day.

Tomorrow's a good day for outsiders for me. Edeymi, Horatio Hornblower and Saphir River are all horses at decent prices that I fancy to run well. Here's hoping.

Cheers Martin - my Hills account will be truly kyboshed if Megastar (33/1) wins the Coral Cup - my £25 e/w singles on the pair were referred to a trader and then restricted, as was a similar sized bet on Peddlers Cross. My wife is currently opening up a raft of accounts in her maiden name. A bittersweet day.

Like Megastar for this also. That neptune last year has produced some proper horses

I was really taken with Walkon when he won first time and Alan King has kept him on the move in a couple of unsuitable races if staying is going to be the name of the game. I reckon he could run really well over this trip outsider of the field or not.
the money

Nice 1 on AS Rory and good luck with Megastar

Last edited:
Re: Megastar - not one to listen to gossip, but am told that he had a huge problem with a tooth abcess which went unnoticed until bursting around Christmas which may explain his looking hard work of late. That would be good enough reason to expect a big run today - here's hoping at least.

Have added Clonbanan Lad (Bumper) to my "William Hill max bet portfolio". So a tenner on that at 20/1. He's got a question to answer about the going/speed of race, not to mention his trainer/rider, but he's justifiably TF top rated, and simply won't be that price this afternoon.

Edit: also had a small bet on Jackies Solitaire @25/1 in the Fred Winter (I think Vendor should win, but the Honeyball filly has been campaigned with handicaps very much in mind, and will improve. A second to Mares Hurdle fourth Alasi lto isn't too shappy, either)

Last edited:
Was sent an email pointing out Cool George in the bumper. Trained by a permit holder, but apparently horse has been in David Pipe's yard for a while now. No back number according to Timeform either, and definitely too big a price.

Was sent an email pointing out Cool George in the bumper. Trained by a permit holder, but apparently horse has been in David Pipe's yard for a while now. No back number according to Timeform either, and definitely too big a price.
Just been discussing said horse - Umadachar made the form look good the other day, and he's a real dark one.

Back