Overdose

thought of starting a thread as he is all the rage over here in germany, and hailed as the new kincsem and "wonderhorse" already - not that its spreads THAT wide in Germany as racing is a no-no in normal papers and there is only one racing-paper. Its hard to judge the form as the field in Baden really was not THAT strong, but you cannot do more than running away from them, and in a very good time all the same. Will be fascinating to see whether hungarian owner repells all offers (who have apparently been huge!) and what they do next with him.

Horse was very cheap in England, goes to show that you do not need to spend huge amounts to get a smart horse. Is by Starborough and related to - of all - Royal Gait !

Why take him to Slovakia for his next race though? (Given the title of the vid Suny posted I presume that´s where he ran).

Any chance we´ll see him in the UK or Ireland this year?

Nick Mordin's picked him up

OVERDOSE TOO MUCH FOR HIS RIVALS

I'm a sucker for rags to riches stories. So I have to say I'm very interested in the extraordinary Hungarian three year old OVERDOSE (36) who simply ran away with a Listed sprint at Baden-Baden's big May meeting.

Overdose is clearly a keen going sort as he was sweating up and was in the lead immediately. But his nervous disposition didn't stop him from powering clear up the two furlong homestraight. Entering the straight he was not even two lengths ahead. But when his jockey shook him up a furlong and a half out he surged clear to score by nine lengths. He had so much in hand that his rider was able to punch the air in a victory salute as he passed the line.

Overdose has now won all seven of his starts by an amazing combined total of 76 lengths. He's never scored by less than six lengths. And from what I saw here it looks likely that he's never been extended.

The clock suggests this was only a Listed class performance. But I've no doubt Overdose could have run a good deal quicker if he'd been pressed. How much quicker is hard to say. The German handicapper rates him just three pounds behind the Guineas winner Precious Boy which points to a rating of around 38 on my scale. I wouldn't quibble with that. The truth is though we won't know how good Overdose is till he faces better competition. He's due to do that in the Group 3 Hamburg Trophy on July the fifth. Ten of the twenty eight entries for that race are good older sprinters from Britain so it should tell us a lot.

Overdose has won over seven furlongs. But I suspect he's best over six as he's a close-coupled muscular sort that clearly has masses of early pace. I'd love to see him win in Hamburg.

as said, he shall / will run in Hamburg during our Derby week (27/06-06/07). Germany already rates him as the new Wonderhorse, and Kincsem etc. (Its because we have nothing to get excited about :P ) - apparently there was talk of the July Cup but he would have had to be supplemented, so see above ...

latest news is that he will be running in hamburg on sat. after all, so one member of this forum will send a photographer out and we will report later :)

The Eastern Europeans seem to have a hand at purchasing a cheaper horse from the Western countries and turning it into a good thing. I follow the former Yugoslav nation's racing quite closely (namely Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia), and there was a recent horse there by the name of Billy Allen that started off in Britain and then raced in Serbia and was that country's Triple Crown winner back in 2004. He ended up also winning in Sweden, Germany, Italy, France and is now racing quite successfully in the USA where he is now a Listed winner. I believe he even raced last week at Golden Gate in San Francisco.

overdose

Is a 3yr old colt by Starborough--Our Poppet--Warning---RP SITE

WON 6f -- Gr 3 Hamburg Trophy on soft in 1.12---July 5.

Doubtful he would be quick enough for York's 5f.

hope I manage to upload a couple of photos from saturday:

Attachments

• DSC_0093_komp.JPG
    DSC_0093_komp.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0095_komp.JPG
    DSC_0095_komp.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0126_komp.JPG
    DSC_0126_komp.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0130_komp.JPG
    DSC_0130_komp.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 3
.. and some more:

Attachments

• DSC_0150_komp.JPG
    DSC_0150_komp.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0177_komp.JPG
    DSC_0177_komp.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0180_komp.JPG
    DSC_0180_komp.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0191_komp.JPG
    DSC_0191_komp.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
G.3 Lotto-Trophy Gives Overdose Ninth Straight Win

After the scratching of Danish-trained filly Lady Lily the field for the G.3 Lotto-Trophy at Hamburg was reduced to nine. This, however, was probably never going to change the result as Hungarian maestro Overdose, winner of eight races from eight career starts coming into the race, ran away to land the spoils with ease.
Breaking well under Andreas Suborics Overdose went straight to the front and dictated the pace from the outset. He was soon followed by last year’s third-place finisher Shinko’s Best, and 2007 runner-up Matrix.
As the nine runners came into the stretch Overdose had a two-lengths advantage and set off for home. Alaska River and G.3 Benazet-Rennen winner Abbadjinn were the first to follow but the former was quick to fade as Mariol and Shinko’s Best took up the relay.
They were never going to catch the winner as Suborics raced away to win by a commanding 1½ lengths from Abbadjinn in second. Robert Collet’s Mariol held on in a photo for third with Shinko’s Best. Danish runner Calrissian was fifth a further length away.
Overdose has now won nine races in succession from Budapest and Bratislava to three different German tracks. When interviewed, winning trainer Sandor Ribarszki was nonchalant about the pre-race hoof problem his three year-old had suffered. Next step for the son of Starborough is the G.2 Goldenen Peitsche over six furlongs at Baden-Baden on 31 August, with the G.1 Prix l’Abbaye on Arc day as the ultimate target.
RacingNewswire

bar form is certainly not good enough for the Abbaye. He received 4,5kg in weight/age and did beat the rest by 1,5length, and I felt that - while he was certainly not "all-out" - he wouldnt have been able to quicken further. Certainly a good performance as such, but NONE of the rest would be even thinking they are Gr. I sprinters. Overdose is quite unimpressive in the paradering, and did sweat heavily before the race. he did run with sticky-tape around one hoof.
He does run from the front though, so will certainly try and do a "Toylsome" in Paris ;)

In yesterday's Goldene Peitsche (Gr. 2) at Baden Baden he does it again by 2.5 lengths, in a rather fast time of 68.2 seconds:

Overdose
made all, two lengths clear straight, ran on well, unchallenged

Did someone mention the Breeders Cup?

Would be fascinating and if he were to do it surely the first Eastern European winner of a big US race?

Back