Paddy Power Gold Cup Chelt 12 Nov

I think a Noble may win but I fancy Noble Alan at 20/1 - if only he could put in a clear round but the fact he hasn't, he looks very well h'capped, as he may of proved on both of these occasions. He's the Grey in the orange and yellow that likes to be held up off the pace.

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,461244,00.html

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,409873,00.html

Can't help but feel there's a big race awaiting this horse - again he was travelling so well when going for a huge jump - didn't see any racing today as had to go shopping again :mad: does anyone know if Noble Alan is OK, I'm not sure if he would have beaten the winner but sure he would have been placed at least.

Well done those who spotted Great Endeavour and Quantativeeasing.

Fantastic performance by Great Endeavor,so glad I went today to see it live too.

Never had a worry:cool:

Watching back the 3m handicap chase at the Festival and can't help but feel that Great Endeavour is a big handicap winner in waiting. Murphy really couldn't have got that race any more wrong.

Well done David, hope you were on. I only backed Araldur for this... I lost on GE last season, but at least he's got me off to a start in the TTF.

I got 20s, Steve, so pleased with that as he went down to 12s at one point. On the drift now though.

Hard luck Simon... held up, but after his mistake he was always struggling... he's better than this, but not competitive today. He'll be backable again next time though.

Last edited:
Thanks all. If Murphy got it wrong at the Festival, he made up for it in spades with the ride today.

Grasshopper - Is jumps racing really this easy? You could be right. Looks live I've 5 wasted years to catch up on!

Well done David! Sunnyhillboy is another from that 3m festival race that has yet to show his full hand at the distance.

Overheard at Cheltenham today after Dickie Johnson's ride on Court in Session .

" Many more rides like that and Wishfull Thinking he will be losing the ie off the end of his name "

He really got that very wrong on WT yesterday - even if the horse is a bit thick in his wind .

Considering what a great race Noble Prince ran at Navan today in less favoured ground I think he would probably have won yesterday. Shame they bottled it.

Last edited:
'Probably have won'. Didnt the winner of the paddy power slash up on the bridle by 7 lengths. That 3f sprint at navan is can of beans form by comparison.

Even if it was the worst running ever, I refuse to believe that a horse that was a 6's chance at the srart of the week would probably have won against a horse about 12 lb ahead of his mark based on beating Forpadydeplasterer a head. Each to their own though.

It was a shit renewal of the Paddy Power though.

No, it was more than upto scratch.

You had arguably last year's best novice (Wishfull thinking), a horse touted as the next big thing (Mon Parrain), an impressive winner of the 2 miler at this meeting last year and favourite for last year's Boylesports (Dave's Dream), the 3 principals from the novice chase handicap at the festival (Divers, QE, Tullamore Dew), a horse favourite (or close to) for the last 2 Ryanairs, and the winner, as identified by DJ, looked like he had one of these big handicaps in him. A more than decent renewal, imho.

If you go by OR's, it was the classiest renewal for years. And even if you don't it was still throughly representative.

Wishfull Thinking was not the best novice based on Cheltenham form.

Mon Parrain hated the course.

Not convinced of the quality of the Novice Handicap at the Festival given that the Golden Miller inevitably affects who runs in it.

Poquelin's mark flatters him by at least half a stone.

Wishfull Thinking was not the best novice based on Cheltenham form.

Mon Parrain hated the course.

Not convinced of the quality of the Novice Handicap at the Festival given that the Golden Miller inevitably affects who runs in it.

Poquelin's mark flatters him by at least half a stone.

If I may say so, you seem to be taking your responsibilities as the forum's resident iconoclast rather too seriously.

Making a dramatic, sweeping statement the polar opposite of what the facts and other knowledgeable commentators seem to suggest to be the case is normally the refuge of the Devil's advocate stooge in a TalkSport 'debate'

Making a dramatic, sweeping statement the polar opposite of what the facts and other knowledgeable commentators seem to suggest to be the case is normally the refuge of the Devil's advocate stooge in a TalkSport 'debate'

Facts??

Wishfull Thinking was last year's best novice, I don't deny that - but his best form was away from Cheltenham. His mark was 3lbs higher than Denman's when he entered open company. Not only does it seem excessive, even if he did deserve it, that mark wasn't earn't Cheltenham.

The newly introduced Golden Miller must surely affect the quality of the Novice Handicap at the Festival. This just seems logic.

I really don't see how any of the opinions I shared were the polar opposite of any facts, not that there is such a thing when it comes to punting anyway.

Last edited:
Back