Pat Eddery RIP

Very sad & relatively young. A fantastic jockey for a long period & I’ll watch Dancing Brave replays tonight and raise a glass to him

Last edited:
He certainly was. And played a significant part in many iconic races.

My fondest memory is not on a horse though. I had a runner at Royal Ascot a few years ago shortly after the redevelopment, and it was my first visit since they did the work. I was up in the owners and trainers at the pre-parade ring with a group of friends and decided to go on a wander with a pal and his son. We walked up to the temporary hospitality just past the finishing line to take a look around and a security guy stopped us because my mates 12 year old son didn't have the right badge. While we were trying to convince him that a 12 year old wasn't going to do any harm, with the jobsworth not having any of it and being particularly rude, Pat Eddery left a group he was chatting to a few yards away and walked up to my pals lad and gave him his access all areas badge. He had no need to get involved or to make such a great gesture, particularly as he was clearly deep in conversation with friends or connections, and he also took the time to have a good chat with us.

What a great bloke. Racing has lost a legend of jockey and a legend of a man.

Grundy V Bustino. Two contrasting styles, one epic memory.

Also loved him on Kings Lake in the O'Brien V Harwood summer.

Don't tell Grassy but when I was a nipper Dancing Brave was my fav horse. The man winning the Arc was an amazing race that I can still remember watching. RIP

Nice story Maruco!

He also rode Faugheen's grandfather Trempolino in `87 Arc which broke Dancing Brave record with 1.4 seconds It was Pat's 3rd consecutive Arc on a different horse!

RIP!

i had to rub my eyes when i saw this thread..what a shock..63 is nowt.

I remember him when i first got interested in racing..Dachtylographer is one of my first memories of following the game. Dancing Brave winning the Arc to me is up there with the most iconic images of racing in the last 50 years..up there with "the mare's getting up"..even now if i watch it it sends shivers down my spine. He rode so many very good horses.

RIP Pat..a great jockey

the number of posts already on this thread shows the regard he was held in

Last edited:
The older one gets the more sad memories one accumulates - he is and always will be a very special memory for me and for nearly everybody loving this sport. It was great for the sport that somebody like him was in the centre of it and so sad that he's no longer with us.

I enjoyed flying over to the Arc with him in a personal private jet accompanied by my wife Ruth. We flew from Oxford and naturally the talk was all about Dancing Brave. I was harbouring a preference for Sharastani due to something that had occurred earlier in their careers and duly bet the wrong one. Travelling back was not easy with everyone singing except me.

To document how fantastic he was here's a copy of a wikipedia list of horses he was connected to for just his biggest wins - it reads like the who's who in racing.

Everybody from us has lots of very personal memories linked to many of these races and their winners - just read through this list and it feels like a free of charge film of memories to some glorious moments in racing's past.

If forced to pick just 10 of them I'd say it's simply not possible as unfair to so many others not named,

Major wins as a jockey:

Great Britain

1,000 Guineas – (1) – Bosra Sham (1996)
2,000 Guineas – (3) – Lomond (1983), El Gran Senor (1984), Zafonic (1993)
Ascot Gold Cup – (2) – Erimo Hawk (1972), Celeric (1997)
Champion Stakes – (3) – Vitiges (1976), Pebbles (1985), Bosra Sham (1996)
Cheveley Park Stakes – (5) – Pasty (1975), Woodstream (1981), Prophecy (1993), Gay Gallanta (1994), Wannabe Grand (1998)
Coronation Cup – (6) – Crow (1978), Rainbow Quest (1985), Saint Estephe (1986), Saddler's Hall (1992), Sunshack (1995), Silver Patriarch (1998)
Coronation Stakes – (2) – Orchestration (1977), Magic of Life (1988)
Derby – (3) – Grundy (1975), Golden Fleece (1982), Quest for Fame (1990)
Dewhurst Stakes – (6) – Lunchtime (1972), Grundy (1974), Storm Bird (1980), El Gran Senor (1983), Zafonic (1992), Grand Lodge (1993)
Eclipse Stakes – (3) – Coup de Feu (1974), Solford (1983), Sadler's Wells (1984)
Falmouth Stakes – (3) – Star Pastures (1981), Magic Gleam (1989), Ryafan (1997)
Fillies' Mile – (2) – Tessla (1988), Bosra Sham (1995)
Golden Jubilee Stakes – (1) – Great Commotion (then called The Cork and Orrery Stakes 1990)
Haydock Sprint Cup – (3) – Record Token (1976), Dowsing (1988), Danehill (1989)
International Stakes – (4) – Beldale Flutter (1981), Assert (1982), Caerleon (1983), One So Wonderful (1998)
July Cup – (2) – Sharpo (1982), Lake Coniston (1995)
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes – (2) – Grundy (1975), Dancing Brave (1986)
King's Stand Stakes – (1) – African Song (1980)
Middle Park Stakes – (5) – Habat (1973), Formidable (1977), Bassenthwaite (1984), Primo Valentino (1999), Balmont (2003)
Nassau Stakes – (3) – Dancing Rocks (1982), Free Guest (1985), Ela Romara (1988)
Nunthorpe Stakes – (4) – Sharpo (1980, 1981), Cadeaux Genereux (1989), Sheikh Albadou (1991)
Oaks – (3) – Polygamy (1974), Scintillate (1979), Lady Carla (1996)
Prince of Wales's Stakes – (5) – Record Run (1975), English Spring (1986), Two Timing (1989), Batshoof (1990), Placerville (1993)
Queen Anne Stakes – (3) – Valiyar (1983), Pennine Walk (1986), Warning (1989)
Queen Elizabeth II Stakes – (3) – Milligram (1987), Warning (1988), Bigstone (1993)
Racing Post Trophy – (5) – Sporting Yankee (1976), Dactylographer (1977), Beldale Flutter (1980), Reference Point (1986), Armiger (1992)
St. James's Palace Stakes – (3) – Radetzky (1976), Posse (1980), Persian Heights (1988)
St. Leger – (4) – Moon Madness (1986), Toulon (1991), Moonax (1994), Silver Patriarch (1997)
Sun Chariot Stakes – (2) – Sweet Farewell (1974), Free Guest (1985)
Sussex Stakes – (6) – Posse (1980), Kings Lake (1981), Warning (1988), Marling (1992), Distant View (1994), Reel Buddy (2003)
Yorkshire Oaks – (3) – May Hill (1975), Busaca (1977), Ramruma (1999)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada

Canadian International Stakes – (1) – French Glory (1990)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

France

Critérium de Saint-Cloud – (1) – Miserden (1988)
Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud – (2) – Glint of Gold (1982), Moon Madness (1987)
Poule d'Essai des Pouliches – (2) – Ukraine Girl (1981), Houseproud (1990)
Prix de l'Abbaye de Longchamp – (2) – Sharpo (1982), Double Schwartz (1986)
Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe – (4) – Detroit (1980), Rainbow Quest (1985), Dancing Brave (1986), Trempolino (1987)
Prix de Diane – (1) – Jolypha (1992)
Prix de la Forêt – (3) – Brocade (1985), Wolfhound (1992), Indian Lodge (2000)
Prix Ganay – (1) – Golden Snake (2001)
Prix d'Ispahan – (1) – Sanglamore (1991)
Prix Jacques Le Marois – (2) – The Wonder (1982), Lear Fan (1984)
Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère – (1) – Tenby (1992)
Prix Jean Prat – (1) – Olden Times (2001)
Prix du Jockey Club – (3) – Caerleon (1983), Hours After (1988), Sanglamore (1990)
Prix Lupin – (1) – No Lute (1981)
Prix Maurice de Gheest – (3) – Beaudelaire (1983), Lead on Time (1986), Interval (1987)
Prix Morny – (1) – Zafonic (1992)
Prix du Moulin de Longchamp – (2) – Distant Relative (1990), All at Sea (1992)
Prix de l'Opéra – (1) – Andromaque (1994)
Prix Rothschild – (1) – Nashmeel (1987)
Prix Royal-Oak – (3) – Old Country (1983), Raintrap (1993), Moonax (1994)
Prix de la Salamandre – (1) – Zafonic (1992)
Prix Vermeille – (2) – Bint Pasha (1987), Jolypha (1992)

Germany

Bayerisches Zuchtrennen – (1) – Kaieteur (2002)
Grosser Preis von Baden – (1) – Glint of Gold (1982)

Ireland

Irish 2,000 Guineas – (3) – Grundy (1975), Kings Lake (1981), Tirol (1990)
Irish Champion Stakes – (2) – Kings Lake (1981), Sadler's Wells (1984)
Irish Derby – (4) – Grundy (1975), El Gran Senor (1984), Law Society (1985), Commander in Chief (1993)
Irish Oaks – (3) – Colorspin (1986), Wemyss Bight (1993), Bolas (1994)
Irish St. Leger – (1) – Leading Counsel (1985)
Matron Stakes – (1) – Mighty Fly (1983)
Moyglare Stud Stakes – (1) – Woodstream (1981)
National Stakes – (3) – El Gran Senor (1983), Law Society (1984), Danehill Dancer (1995)
Phoenix Stakes – (3) – Achieved (1981), Digamist (1987), Danehill Dancer (1995)
Tattersalls Gold Cup – (1) – Batshoof (1990)

Italy

Derby Italiano – (1) – Old Country (1982)
Gran Premio del Jockey Club – (2) – Silver Patriarch (1998), Golden Snake (2000)
Gran Premio di Milano – (1) – Tony Bin (1988)
Premio Presidente della Repubblica – (1) – Tony Bin (1988)
Premio Roma – (2) – Knifebox (1993), Taipan (1998)

Japan

Japan Cup – (1) – Jupiter Island (1986)

Slovakia

Slovenské Derby – (1) – Lonango (1997)

United States

Arlington Million – (1) – Tolomeo (1983)
Breeders' Cup Sprint – (1) – Sheikh Albadou (1991)
Breeders' Cup Turf – (1) – Pebbles (1985)

My memories are of him livening up the Phoenix Park in the 80s riding for Vincent O'Brien and the young John Oxx. Among the many races he won there was the inaugural running of the Phoenix Champion Stakes on Sadlers Wells. There's no doubt he was one of the very best we've seen and inspired a whole heap of successful Irish jockeys who came after him.

Once when asked what made him such a successful jockey he replied "Dunno, good horses I suppose ".
My love affair with racing began with Grundy.
every day after I scanned the racing pages to see what Pat was riding.
John Oxx summed him up best when giving the difference between top and average jockeys as follows;
" You have a two year old you expect to win first time out. With a regular jockey it either won and got a hard race or was beaten and got a harder race. The jockey told you little if anything about the horse. The horse came home and did not eat up and you spent the next two weeks getting your horse back to where he was before the race.
With Pat (who never rode work for him) 1. the horse won; 2. he came in and said what the horses' trip, ground , distance and prospects were ( he was usually not far wrong), the horse ate up and improved every day he was worked. Their win % was in excess of 40 % through all races.

Pat rode his first winner in an Apprentice race in 1969. Frenchie Nicholson never allowed him ride in another apprentice race, his claim being too valuable.
instead in 1969 he won Wokingham Stakes, Northumberland Plate and Vaux Trophy Redcar among other races.

He was a great jockey when connections had the money down also, when John joe and JP had a runner the day David Wachman married Katie Magnier Pat rode one it.
He got an 18 day suspension but the money was collected !
His ride on The Great Gatsby in Epsom Derby 2003 was class. Going off in front he stacked them up on Tattenham Hill before going for home, nearly bringing off a shock result.
Rest In Peace.

Once when asked what made him such a successful jockey he replied "Dunno, good horses I suppose ".
My love affair with racing began with Grundy.
every day after I scanned the racing pages to see what Pat was riding.
John Oxx summed him up best when giving the difference between top and average jockeys as follows;
" You have a two year old you expect to win first time out. With a regular jockey it either won and got a hard race or was beaten and got a harder race. The jockey told you little if anything about the horse. The horse came home and did not eat up and you spent the next two weeks getting your horse back to where he was before the race.
With Pat (who never rode work for him) 1. the horse won; 2. he came in and said what the horses' trip, ground , distance and prospects were ( he was usually not far wrong), the horse ate up and improved every day he was worked. Their win % was in excess of 40 % through all races.

Pat rode his first winner in an Apprentice race in 1969. Frenchie Nicholson never allowed him ride in another apprentice race, his claim being too valuable.
instead in 1969 he won Wokingham Stakes, Northumberland Plate and Vaux Trophy Redcar among other races.

He was a great jockey when connections had the money down also, when John joe and JP had a runner the day David Wachman married Katie Magnier Pat rode one it.
He got an 18 day suspension but the money was collected !
His ride on The Great Gatsby in Epsom Derby 2003 was class. Going off in front he stacked them up on Tattenham Hill before going for home, nearly bringing off a shock result.
Rest In Peace.

the 2yo stuff is fascinating..just adds to his record that i know as follower of the game..we often talk about jockeys judged on just how they ride but what a skill to deliver that to a trainer

i'm still in shock he's gone tbh..i suppose he has not been a well man and those within circles knew he hadn't been well. One of the greats in my lifetime taht is for sure

A great jockey in what was a golden era of them. He provided me with some of my fondest memories in the sport and came across as a first class sportsman.

So nice to hear that he was the same away from the saddle and he's a very sad loss.

RIP.

El Gran Senor gave him two of the greatest disappointments in his life.
1 That Derby defeat by Secreto. ( I remember walking around like a zombie for a good 30 min after the race)
2 That he took an annual breeding right in him rather than Sadlers Wells at season end ( he had one per year not one in each good horse he rode that year.)

Bit stunned really. In a funny way my best memory of him was when he was due to ride last race and all the other jockeys wanted to give him a big send off, chairing him to the weighing rooom or whatever. He went along with it but very clearly didn't want to know. Totally embarrassed. He hated it

Spoke volumes about his great popularity with his peers and also his complete lack of ego or self absorption. Genuine Top bloke

it might sound daft but i just don't even see him as a 63 year old bloke..he always looked younger than he was anyway...seems like he has gone 30 years before he should have looking at him.

its no age is it 63 anyway?

Back