Pat Eddery RIP

Don't tell Grassy but when I was a nipper Dancing Brave was my fav horse. The man winning the Arc was an amazing race that I can still remember watching. RIP

I have always had my doubts about you.

Bender.

PS. RIP Pat Eddery.

Last edited:
A truly great jockey - particular highlights - riding Sheikh Albadou to win the 1991 Breeders Cup Sprint , the artistry of getting Bosra Sham home with her bad feet in the 1000 Guineas and of course most of all Dancing Brave in the Arc .

One of the five greatest jockeys I have seen together with Lester , Cauthen , Yves St Martin and Ryan Moore .

Really sad news... he gave me so many of my favourite racing memories... Many thanks for your life.

RIP

I wasn't aware it was the drink that killed him. His daughter released a statement basically saying she hadn't seen him in five years as she couldn't keep him off the drink. Real shame.

Such a shame & waste. I didn't know for sure, but looking at recent pictures of him it comes as no surprise. Plenty of history in my family and it's an awful addiction

The word "great" is overused, but he really was a great jockey.

I was a huge fan of Steve Cauthen and their epic battle for the 1987 jockeys' championship will live long in the memory. Steve eventually pipped Pat by 197-195 IIRC, but Pat more than made up it in the next few years, winning five out of the next six championships including four on the trot.

RIP to a part of my racing childhood.

Little to add really...only that what I remember most is that at the time I started watching horse racing as a child in the nineties, Piggott was the legend, Dettori the flashy Italian but Eddery was "The Man". It's difficult to put those things into context at that age, particularly having already missed two thirds of his career and feel as though I didn't get to fully appreciate the fullness of the man's talents despite knowing on some level that what he was doing and what he did was remarkable. Thank goodness we live in the age of the internet where words, records and images are able to do the man justice.

RIP

Back