Paul Haigh

Guest_

At the Start
Writer Paul Haigh blasts Racing Post in resignation letter

The Racing Post's most senior journalist has fired a blistering salvo as he quits the paper after 23 years, claiming it has become little more than a "cheerleading tip sheet" whose agenda is being dictated by bookmakers.
Paul Haigh, who joined the Racing Post prior to launch in 1986, wrote to the chief executive and editor-in-chief, Alan Byrne, earlier this month giving notice of his decision to terminate his freelance contract, saying he had become "ashamed" of writing for the paper, MediaGuardian.co.uk can reveal.
"I've tried very hard to persuade myself I'm wrong, but I've been convinced for a while now that the paper is nothing but a cheerleading tip sheet," he wrote in his resignation letter.
The letter also suggested the Post "might restore some credibility" if it refused occasionally to "acquiesce to your advertisers' wishes". He went on to suggest that "by pointing to 'shit in the system' the paper might even win the respect of new readers and so reverse its decline in circulation".
One of the most experienced racing journalists in the UK, Haigh has been working for the paper as a contracted freelance since 1993, prior to which he was a staff member. He has also contributed to a raft of other national newspapers. He told MediaGuardian.co.uk that suggestions by him for the paper to run a series on racing corruption and whether the fears about it were justified were ignored by management.
"The agenda of Britain's only racing/sports newspaper is now being dictated entirely by its main advertisers," he said.
"Almost all the racing media is now under the effective editorial control of the bookmakers either because bookmaker advertising is essential to their survival, or because other racing correspondents have been made aware of, er, the side on which their bread is buttered."
After Haigh gave notice, he said he had been told that he would not be required to write anything else for the title, even though he had a three-month notice period. He added that he had engaged his solicitor over a management threat to withhold some remaining pay due to him.
Byrne, a former Racing Post editor, teamed up with Irish private equity interests to buy the Racing Post from Trinity Mirror in 2007 for £170m.
At the time Byrne said he was confident of reversing the paper's declining circulation and making more out of its website, but print sales continue to fall.
According to the latest figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations the morning paper averaged sales of 55,054 in February, down from a high of 93,551 in March, 2005.
"Paul's claims are without foundation and he knows it," said the Racing Post editor, Bruce Millington.
"We have had broadly the same editorial policy ever since we started nearly 23 years ago, and as Paul has worked for us throughout that period, it is rather odd that he suddenly feels this way.
"It's disappointing that he has delivered this slur not just on the paper but also on his colleagues.
"The Racing Post has always stood up for the punter and will continue to do so. To suggest our agenda is dictated by bookmakers is absurd and untrue."

Definitely - the RP at last has someone with the courage to say what they think. Seems to be a paper full of Bruce's "yes men" to be honest. Not a negative thing to say about Nicholls, Pipe, O'Neill and if there's ever a non-trier or an investigation they think needs pursuing it's never a top yard.

Anyone who pisses off Millington is good by me - the blokes a hypocrite and to use his own words "he knows it".

Huge respect to Paul Haigh for his courageous and principled decision.
Clearly a man of integrity; he is a credit to his journalistic profession.

The Post has gone the way of the Irish Field, too reliant on one advertiser or bunch of advertisers. The paper is clearly haemorraging money and the investors need to keep advertising revenue up. In a way you can't blame them for that but its a double edge sword, if you reduce the quality people dont buy the paper. But if people aren't willing to pay the price for the paper, why have so much quality or risk alienating your advertiser for the lads who won't pay for the paper. It's two sided.

What it needs is a few people to come in and take it off their hands and be silent investors. But that's never going to happen. Maybe time for another racing paper......again

As I said at the time, the Sportsman failed because it didn't ensure at the outset that it was taken by all the bookmakers' shops - that alone would have ensured its viability. For the sake of a quid a day, and something else for punters to read, why didn't ONE single bookie's shop ever have the paper? It had faults to be sure, but its tipping was better imo than the RPs (not hard admittedly).

I've always suspected something of a conspiracy theory myself... LOL

Paul Haigh is to be applauded for putting his principles before his pocket, esp in this current climate. the problem is that RP reporters - in fact all racing reporters - are in a cleft stick: if they delve and criticise, and tell it how they really see it, their sources dry up. The racing world (esp trainers and jocks) are a very tight clan.

A friend of mine who runs a news agency published a story a few years ago about a Newmarket trainer, showing him in a poor light (by some standards anyway). He had the story well verified by several people at the function in question, and it was published by the Sunday Times. The trainer sued, and NOT ONE person who had verified it verbally - and there were many - would testify. That's the kind of brick wall journalists are up against.

The newspaper business is quickly going down the pan in the US. Can't be long before the same thing happens here. Those circulation figures look chronic - down 40% in three years?

What it needs is a few people to come in and take it off their hands and be silent investors. But that's never going to happen. Maybe time for another racing paper......again

There's not a snowball in hells chance that anyone's going to try doing that in the current climate.

Haigh still writes for the Weekender, but aren't they part of the same group? To no small extent all newspapers are dependent on advertising revenue, and I think I'm right in saying only one can cover it's costs through sales alone (the Evening Standard). The difference i suppose is that the RP is particularly beholden to a certain tight group of advertisers, though given the amount of air time that debt consolidation companies take up on the TV channels, one suspects they must be turning quite a few would be advertisers away?

Haigh's always been one of my preferred journo's but I susepct he's probably got a bolt hole lined up, as it's unusual to take such a principaled stand without having got his insurance policy in place. I wouldn't decry him for this though, that would be simple common sense.

The newspaper business is quickly going down the pan in the US. Can't be long before the same thing happens here. Those circulation figures look chronic - down 40% in three years?

Well with figures like that, you can only assume that paying for the website is being ushered ever nearer

Interesting to note that it's been mentioned elsewhere that the RP's holding company have been late in filing their accounts for last year - this after being granted a 3 month extension and also that a "Mr Bruce Millington" owns 350,000 shares in said company.

I replied to the RP's online survey last night. I didn't pull any punches. I told them they were going down the tubes.

Interesting that Paul Haigh points out that the paper is being gagged by its advertisers. I particularly liked his comment about the paper becoming "a cheerleading tipsheet".

The dominance of bookmakers over television coverage has been apparent for a few years now. Sadly this has now spread to our only daily racing publication. I haven't bought the RP for years now as it has become increasingly less interesting to read.

I suppose it was pretty inevitable, though, considering the lack of competition since the Sporting Life folded and went online.

Well done to Mr Haigh for taking such a brave stance.

I replied to the RP's online survey last night. I didn't pull any punches. I told them they were going down the tubes.

Me too....interesting that alot of the questions allowed for this as well and picked up on many comments on here and other forums e.g the comparison between racingpost.com and co.uk.

paul haig and i agree on a lot of things and this is no different could not agree more i have a number of issues with the rp not least the price which deters a lot of punters who love there form study and simply cannot afford the paper i also think there tend to be to much information stats etc.

From the Guardian's Tattenham Corner column:

Paul Haigh, who made an acrimonious departure from the Racing Post after 23 years as a senior writer last week, will smile at the latest leak of bookmaker-funded largesse at the Post's HQ in Canary Wharf. Haigh claimed that the Post was effectively in the control of bookmakers, a view that editor Bruce Millington described as "absurd". Haigh would have enjoyed an email exchange between the Post's head of news, Tony Smurthwaite, and Victor Chandler's head of PR. It revealed that the paper had taken delivery of "12 bottles of fantastic French wine". "It has made a lot of people very happy - and it hasn't been drunk yet," Smurthwaite said. Unfortunately the PR man accidentally sent the correspondence to all racing writers on his mailing list.

From the Guardian's Tattenham Corner column:

Paul Haigh, who made an acrimonious departure from the Racing Post after 23 years as a senior writer last week, will smile at the latest leak of bookmaker-funded largesse at the Post's HQ in Canary Wharf. Haigh claimed that the Post was effectively in the control of bookmakers, a view that editor Bruce Millington described as "absurd". Haigh would have enjoyed an email exchange between the Post's head of news, Tony Smurthwaite, and Victor Chandler's head of PR. It revealed that the paper had taken delivery of "12 bottles of fantastic French wine". "It has made a lot of people very happy - and it hasn't been drunk yet," Smurthwaite said. Unfortunately the PR man accidentally sent the correspondence to all racing writers on his mailing list.

Brilliant!!:lol:

Brilliant!!:lol:

LOL

I am increasingly annoyed by RUK's fawning over VC . Then again I was impressed that Hislop,Neesom and Luck did not hesitate to put the boot into the hapless Clerk of the Course at Wincanton this afternoon.

It's been a long time since I have enjoyed or been impressed by anything written in the Racing Post. But, Paul Haigh was one of the few who I continued to bother to read.

Pretty significant that so many of us are most impressed by someone who has left!

From the BBC:

_45593096_newspaper_totals_466.gif

When was the newspaper (or part of it anyway) first available to download on-line?

Stories that appeared in the RP started dissapearing from the website soon after the new regime took over IIR.

As for newspapers in general, when the two newspapers I read (The Guardian and The Irish Times) are available free of charge virtually in their entirety, the notion of buying them is laughable.

Back