Paul Haigh

I don't think the issue with newspapers is much at all to do with cost. The main reason for their sales falling so drastically is the growth of other media outlets, particularly 24 hr news television channels and obviously the internet. Newspapers with print deadlines just cannot compete when with some world events, if you relied on a newspaper to find out about them, could have happened as long as about 35 hrs previously.

Very true, DJ.

Not only are the paper's accessible, but their websites are constantly updated. The Guardian is particularly good in that regard.

DJ is perfectly correct. There are many other ways to get news, and even such things as sports reports, comment, and book reviews etc, online and in other 'instant' media.

I used to buy a paper every day - now the difficulty of getting a paper delivered is another reason not to bother. Then at weekend you get such a glut of stuff in the paper, it almost becomes a 'disposal problem' and it's an inflated price for loads of stuff you don't want.

Last edited:
I get the Irish Times at least 5 days a week and often have a backlog of 4 or 5 days.To be honest if you want up to the minute news the interweb or radio are better choices but I think a newspaper is important for analysis from people that you can put a face to and judge by their track records.
There was a time when I got the post 7 days a week but when they saw fit to give Tanya a weekly column I decided it was weekends only.

I still find the Racing Post a trustworthy companion in the jacks for my eleven o'clock comfort break.

The sports pages are good; filled with prices and statistics, which is what I want.

And the Spotlight profile of each horse in the racing pages is very good. Sure, the first 10 pages are garbage, but the information is good in the body of the paper.

I find i could very easily do without the so called experts and tipsters ,like pricewise etc,the greatest tiping service in the world ye right i dont think,
personally as a studier of form i find the detailed information on a horses last 3 runs very helpful so i would hate to see the paper go down the tubes without something to replace it.

Their "expert" videos on their site is getting laughable...whatever about Willoughby and co...they now seem to be pulling any tom, dick or harry in from the office and asking for their views.

Back