Paul Nicholls Domination

Originally posted by granger+Mar 23 2008, 09:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (granger @ Mar 23 2008, 09:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Mar 23 2008, 08:11 PM
Meade is not in Nicholls's league in my opinion.
Nor Mullins and O'Grady [/b][/quote]
I would disagree with that....though O'Grady seems to have them trained to hard or breaking them down in recent seasons.

Mullins is right up there in my opinion.

Originally posted by clivex@Mar 23 2008, 06:54 PM
Genius is a silly overused word in racing frankly...Even more so than in real life
I tend to agree, in which case do we really have any geniuses in the ranks of trainer or jockey?

Nicholls is brilliant at what he does.

People get hung up on the word "genius"....genius, brilliant, great etc...means all the same to me.

Master Minded is a machine.....that get picked up on the same way? Of course not, we all know what is meant by it.

I am not sure if I would call Nicholls a genius, he might well be, but there is no disputing what an extremely talented individual he is. I love the way he is happy to talk openly about his horses and despite being asked the same questions about Kauto and Denman literally hundreds of times he kept his cool. It was great PR for the industry and he handles the press extremely well. He cannot help the fact that all of the top owners will want to take their horses to him - it's human nature for some people to want to be associated with the "best". Let's face it, Paul Nicholls fits that bill perfectly. Those owners further down the pecking order in the yard, if they feel they don't get the same amount of attention could always taken their horses elsewhere.

David Pipe has really grown on me this season. He likes a laugh, he is extremely personable with absolutely no airs and graces. The whole Pipe racing business is clearly a real family affair. He has tried to change to attitude of the general public towards the old Pipe training methods. He does things his way now, with his Dad always willing to lend a hand. A great team and I am sure they will go from strength to strength.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid+Mar 23 2008, 09:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Desert Orchid @ Mar 23 2008, 09:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clivex@Mar 23 2008, 06:54 PM
Genius is a silly overused word in racing frankly...Even more so than in real life
I tend to agree, in which case do we really have any geniuses in the ranks of trainer or jockey?

Nicholls is brilliant at what he does. [/b][/quote]
Simple answer is no. The word is over-used and has become corrupted in its application, but that's to play with symantics of language. The one the irks me is when some 22 year old low IQ footballer who can barely tie his own laces yet alone string a coherent sentance together is described as a 'genius'

The other trainer who is exceptional of the current generation is imo Alan King. If he had the same class of horse as Nicholls he would be challenging constantly for the top spot in the NH heirarchy. As it is he does extremely well with horses of slightly lesser ability.

He's less forthcoming with the press than he was, but has had bruising experiences with owners for talking too openly which has probably had its effect

Nicky Henderson too is masterly, but again his agents don't seem to find quite such good horses - or maybe don't have such long pockets!

All three, and the Pipes, have the knack of keeping top staff over many years [in most cases their whole careers] which is imo a major part of their success

Think you just about summed it up Headstrong. Can't really think of anyone else at all.
With Clifford Baker being a HUGE part of the Nicholls set up old Nicholson has left his mark on the game.

One thing that is strange about Nicholls is that his biggest successes are almost entirely over fences. When was the last (open) Grade 1 hurdle that he won? All but ignoring half the game makes his prize money stat even more impressive.

Seems to go back to the type of horse he tends to buy, Gareth. Concentrates on buying "chasing types" (as he calls them) from Ireland and France.

The likes of Celestial Halo (high class flat horse going hurdling) seems to have been very much the exception rather than the rule thus far, though I wonder will we see a greater variety now that the likes of Terry Warner and others have joined the rank of owners.

Although the horse that TW has with Nicholls, Pasco, conforms to the usual Paul Nicholls formula -- a big, scopey, chasing type purchased out of a French yard by Anthony Bromley. And of course as Terry Warner was the customer it had to be a grey!

I don't ever remember Pipe winning the sheer number of top class races Nicholls is now doing. 3 more today despite the defeat of Master Minded!

Nicholls really is picking off these top events. I'm just about to start reading Pipe's auto-bio. Will be interested to see his attitude regarding the types of horses he trained

No - Pipe's forte was volume:
get them fit as a butchers dog, fire 'em at the races, fire 'em at the fences, and see what comes back!

King too wins a great many more top races than Pipe did [see above]. He's 2nd in the prize money table unsurprisingly. I'm convinced if he had the owners/horses he would overtake Nicholls or at least they'd be sharing the top spot over the years - he's more versatile, good with hurdlers as well as chasers etc

Originally posted by Headstrong@Mar 23 2008, 04:09 PM
A great deal of work and effort, not to mention money, goes into sourcing the horses and securing them. These people {his agents} know what they are looking at, even if a French trainer hasn't got the best from a horse

I am starting to find his domination very worrying, however well deserved - it can't be good for the sport in the long run. Even 2nd-rung 'rich men' like John Webb are now moving their horses to Nicholls, so depriving yet another small trainer in Steve Gollings of half his string, even though he's done well for Webb.

It's very bad news imo when most trainers are going to have to tell their owners that except at the very bottom level, it's pointless to expect anything from their NH horse except a day out, watching the top few yards and esp Nicholls win all the decent prizes. If the trend carries on Nicholls will have to run his stars against each other - there'll be booger-all else to run against!
Too true. Something people like Mr Webb don't realise is, although he has some nice horses when he gets in with the Nicholls clan he will be nothing. He won't get the personal attention he was given as an owner at Steve's, he will be speaking to Dan Skelton if he's lucky or just some random secretary. Nicholls will be dealing with Hales, Barber, Findlay and Stewart and the top guys only.

Just cheered Starzan home even though I had no bet. Dad asked me was I cheering because I backed it, I said no just nice to see someone different win a decent race this season! I have found myself in the last few weeks or so cheering on any non-Walsh ridden or non-Nicholls trained horse in any race even if I have no financial interest.

Yes it's hard not to isn't it!
Andat least I could cheer Starzaan for the horse and the jock - if not for the trainer :rolleyes:

I saw Starzaan win at Wincanton. Hughie Morrison clearly loved the horse and was thrilled at the way he rallied even though it was only a two horse race. He doesn't have many NH horses but he really hoped that Starzaan would win a big race for his owners. I am thrilled for him and no, I didn't have a penny on.

Well done Hughie and well done Starzaan! :clap:

Also a special mention for Andy Haynes trainer of Border Castle who won the Samsung Electronics Scottish Champion Hurdle at 40/1. A relatively small trainer from Bath although he must be heading for about 50 horses in training now. He was in Ireland earlier this week, and I saw his head lad at Warwick on Tuesday. They have always been very fond of Border Castle who is clearly very talented but I think the result today will have surpassed even Andy's expectations. :eek: He doesn't have that many NH horses but hopefully he will have a few more now. There are not many nicer more genuine trainers than Andy and this result will do his reputation absolutely no harm at all!

Absolutely thrilled for him and his team! :clap:

Courtesy of The Racing Post - lovely story! :)
Border Castle sinks Takeroc in 40-1 shock

Border Castle: lands 40-1 shock in Scottish Champion Hurdle
by David Carr & Gordon Brown

NICK SCHOLFIELD may not be the most popular man when he goes back to work at Paul Nicholls's yard on Sunday - but the stable amateur can afford to smile after bouncing back from a disastrous Friday night to land the biggest win of his career in the Scottish Champion Hurdle.

The previous evening he had been in despair after being hit by a ten-day ban for riding an ill-judged race at Taunton, giving his employer's 4-5 favourite Woolcombe Folly too much to do in a novice hurdle and passing the post a fast-finishing second.

A day later and 430 miles further north, he again proved the villain for his stable's supporters as he took an outside ride on 40-1 shot Border Castle for Andy Haynes andthwarted Ruby Walsh on the champion trainer's 9-4 favourite Takeroc in the £100,000 Samsung Electronics Scottish Champion Hurdle.

Ironically, he felt he had made his effort too soon this time, and said: “He is a real gutsy horse - I hit the front a bit too soon, but when Ruby's come to me he has gone again."

He added: “I needed that - you learn from your mistakes, hopefully. Last night was probably the worst moment of my career. I won't be in Mr Nicholls's good books will I?"

Second place prize-money did at least take Nicholls past the total earnings of the Flat champion trainer for the second time - though ironically, it was his advice which helped persuade the winner's connections to take their chance on the drying ground.

Haynes was on a ferry back from Ireland, but Michael Blake, head of the 33-strong Staverton Owners Group, in whose colours Border Castle runs, said: “We nearly didn't run him. When I walked the course, I thought it was iffy, but Paul Nicholls assured me it was all right and Nick said it was okay, so we went for it.”

Back