Peter Naughton?!

That would all depend whether the local trading standards office got a call from a member of the public complaining about a breach of the 'Sales of Goods Act' or would it be 'Trade Descriptions' for misleading the consumer through an implied sale? :whistle: The latter I think - 'fit for purpose'? - probably, of the merchantable quality described? - questionable:ninja:

Erm, you saw the 'once a year' bit? When a good mate of mine is being ripped off by some jumped up little tosser who is lying through his teeth I often feel I have to say something, at least.

As a matter of fact, it's a shame that Mounty is such a decent bloke - there are plenty of grounds here for him to sue the little sod but I'm sure he wouldn't dream of it.

i think PN has done himself more damage here than any action taken by Mounty could do to him...you couldn't make a bigger dick of yourself than PN has

I agree. Won't stop idiots from being tempted to spend money for his tips under the misapprehension he was clever enough to win the Scoop6 though, more's the pity.

Hence why it's a shame no action is likely to be taken about him, not even over the false claims about his achievements in selling a product. He shouldn't be allowed to live off such blatant lies and use them to promote himself and advertise his tipping service. What a loser - and one with zero dignity nor self-respect either.

Good evening. The Scoop6 perm in question cost £10,700 and netted about £445,000. A Friend of mine had upped his investment from £100 to £200 a couple of weeks earlier - turned out £50 was for Mr Naughton, though I've never met the bloke. Caught up in the moment, he basically got a little carried away and exaggerated his involvement. He was on news at 10, in the News Of The World etc etc all because he'd had £50 on a 40-1 winner. It was embarassing because the Racing Post spoke to me on the Saturday evening and asked me if I was anything to do with Peter Naughton's syndicate, I obiously said no. One of Harry Findlay's mob also called me to discuss colluding on the bonus fund and asked the same question. He was a little confused as to why there were eight winning tickets yet nine people claiming to have won it. There are 60-odd people in my syndicate (and about seven normal ones) and every time we win it we get offered hospitality by the Tote - usually 4-6 places in the restaurant or box - I try to invite different people every time, asking the longest-serving syndicate members first. A lot of them invest £25, are not what you'd describe as wealthy, and would appreciate a three-course lunch and seat in a box on Hennessy Day). Mr Naughton managed to get himself invited via the Tote and, in doing so, took someone's place. This was made clear to him yet he still insisted on turning up. This was the most disappointing part of the whole thing, though I did take great delight in seating him between two intimidating fellow syndicate members who are best described as "built like brick shithouses".

Mr Naughton is not the only one - I'm currently having problems with a tipster who subscribes to my daily service and is reproducing my work virtually word-for-word on a welll known website.

I take it you have copyright of the intellectual property Andrew? If it's verbatim reproduction then it wouldn't be hard to prove (which incidentally is why we ask members to credit any articles you use in postings, rather than trying to pass them off as your own work - no one thinks any less of you if you choose to use someone elses work to illustrate a point).

The issue would seem to revolve around whether you can establish detriment through lost income I'd have thought?

Incidentally I can't find a Companies House registration for Peter Naughton's business activities. That's not to say for one second he isn't registered, it's just that there's no registration I can find under any of the obvious business names he might use.

Bit of a minefield the whole tipping business. There are relay services who subscribe legitimately to the likes of Henry Rix, The Winning Line, Nick Mordin etc etc and then sell on the tips at a fraction of the cost. There was a test case several years ago in which the judge ruled that once you'd paid for a tip you could tell who you liked with no comebacks. So if you bought a Racing Post you could tell your mates in the pub what Pricewise had selected....you could also pay £1000 or so for a 12-month subscription to Henry Rix and set up a phone line passing on the tips with no comeback. Things then started to get messy with the tipping lines giving out different tips to different clients to try and work out who was ripping them off.

There must be a difference though between passing on a horses name(s) and reproducing a written rationale and passing that off as your own work?

If I buy a book, read it and like it, I can tell someone the story. What i can't do is reproduce that story in print, attach my name to it, and then try and sell it for personal gain

There must be a difference though between passing on a horses name(s) and reproducing a written rationale and passing that off as your own work?

If I buy a book, read it and like it, I can tell someone the story. What i can't do is reproduce that story in print, attach my name to it, and then try and sell it for personal gain

Excellent point. The matter is in the hands of a solicitor who is encouraging me "to go after him" as he thinks we have an excellent case. Though I'd say that if I was charging £195 an hour.

There's plenty of cases concerning song lyrics which have been challenged and it normally comes down to a definition of what is a "derivative work". A verbatim reproduction wouldn't stand up as being a derivative.

The stumbling block I'd have thought will come down to proving detriment as this will dictate the award. If you want to drop me a PM outlining where the site is, and how it functions, I do believe there's a way that you might be able to do this (but it would depend on how the site operates)

Excellent point. The matter is in the hands of a solicitor who is encouraging me "to go after him" as he thinks we have an excellent case. Though I'd say that if I was charging £195 an hour.

Save money on legal fees by "going after him" with an iron bar. Criminal defence solicitors can't charge anything like those rates.

More's the pity.

Back