Peter Toole

Shadow Leader

At the Start
Word is that Peter Toole isn't in a great condition following his fall at Aintree today. A lot of jockeys on Twitter asking for prayers for him and Cornelius Lysaght reporting doctors say he is in critical condition whilst Whitcoombe House (Charlie Mann's yard) add that he is being kept sedated with suspected head injuries. My thoughts and best wishes go to the poor lad, hope that things aren't as bad as feared.

I'd been looking for news on him earlier - they had said on the Beeb that he had been taken straight to hospital with head injuries and then, somewhat inevitably, there was nothing more. I hope he will be OK.

Various updates on FB and Twitter, the latest summaries are along the lines of

"bleeding on one side of brain, not life threatening and his parents with him, just taking precautions by sedating him for a couple of days"

If anyone's on any social network sites regarding this, perhaps they'd pass along sincere good wishes from Talking Horses as a whole, please, as I'm sure we all wish him and his family all the best. Many thanks.

The Racing Post gets a good kicking on this and other forums and it's not always deserved but I have to say I'm surprised there's nothing about Peter Toole at all in today's paper although, to be fair, it probably went to press quite early last night.

Thommo reported a short while ago on ATR that he's been told that Peter should make a 'very, very good recovery', so let's hope all's not as awful as first feared, and that the lad will be back in the saddle soon enough.

If the RP could get out the results of the meeting, they could've got out an update on the lad, surely?

Thommo reported a short while ago on ATR that he's been told that Peter should make a 'very, very good recovery', so let's hope all's not as awful as first feared, and that the lad will be back in the saddle soon enough.

If the RP could get out the results of the meeting, they could've got out an update on the lad, surely?

Extremely pleased to hear the news that he seems to not be in immediate danger. Hopefully for him a 'very,very good recovery' means complete recovery and he will be able to continue riding, if that is what he wishes to do.

The Racing Post gets a good kicking on this and other forums and it's not always deserved but I have to say I'm surprised there's nothing about Peter Toole at all in today's paper although, to be fair, it probably went to press quite early last night.

That's exactly it....in fairness, via Twitter, the Racing Post website was quite good last night in terms of bringing the news onto people. Saturday newspaper deadlines are very early - often 7pm in many places.

Reading guardian online posted 1 hour ago doesn't look so positive, on ventilator and no improvement??

Oh God and I'd hoped that the talk I'd heard that he was in a bad way was just conjecture. I know it sounds twee but come on people, Peter Toole needs our prayers right now.

He's in an induced coma, hence the ventilator. It's to rest his brain while it tries to repair the damage done. There won't be 'improvement' as he's going to be kept in this condition for 24 hours. Once the docs bring him out of that state, they can assess him better, but I assume it was the hospital which gave Thommo the message about him being able to make a very good recovery?

Poor wee mite's still in the induced state - I really don't know what bleeding into the brain does, but it can't be too good. He seems such a bonny young fellow, too - can't hope enough for him. Was at Plumpton today and there were lots of murmurs from racegoers all pulling for him.

That's very heartwarming. I hope his family, friends and colleagues will draw some solace from knowing that people do care.

Back