Phew what a day!!

fonz

At the Start
Some real ups and downs today, Losing a fine young horse like Our Conor was a real hammer blow and a huge shame for all connected
But I have never enjoyed a days racing as much as today
Absoluteley cracking, Punching the air, Edge of the seat brilliance

I think my biggest cheer of the afternoon came when Scu and Western Warhorse got up close home (Even though I backed CF each way!)

Just hoped we havnt peaked too soon :)

Some great racing marred by the death of OC. Worst opening day in 20 years. Really hoped for the new one but alas it wasn't to be. Tomorrow is another day.

OC has really took the wind out my sails...was just an awful looking fall ..never seen a horse go down that quick...

was really looking forward to today...then it just didn't appeal any more

hard game for connections for sure

Started well with Vatour. It was then a case of the obstacles getting in the way. Rock On Ruby ruined his chances at the third fence, shotgun paddy belted every obstacle but still nearly got up to win and of course there was Our Conor.

I'd backed him but when he fell It was immediately obvious it was a bad one and all thoughts of financial loss or gain went immediately out of the window.

The rest of the day was just flat. It seemed the atmosphere was sucked out of the event. Even Quevega making it 6 in a row couldn't get the crowd going as it should have.

Who knows what would have happened in the race or further in the future but I've got the feeling we lost a potential superstar today. Connections must be devastated and I find Ruby's comments I'll timed and potentially damaging to the sport.

Ruby Walsh is a hardened man to his sport and job. He has to be its a coping mechanism that suits his nature. Injuries and death are everyday events in the racing game. For man and beast.

Ruby Walsh is a hardened man to his sport and job. He has to be its a coping mechanism that suits his nature. Injuries and death are everyday events in the racing game. For man and beast.

not really convinced by that...McCoy is even harder than him and he has cried on occasions when horses have died

Last edited:
I felt the atmosphere wasn't as good as the build up had promised. The Arkle was a huge anti-climax for me, and then Our Conor just finished the "buzz" of CH day.

Onward and upwards, starting with Faugheen hopefully;)

What did ruby say. I also thought STD handled himself well today in the race and interview after.

Agree his interview was good but you could tell he was dejected with his lost 5 lengths comments.

Someone help me; What was the lovely hurdler that Barry Connell list at Aintree? Talk about a massive supporter of the game being unlucky. The race as says owner did not deserve that. I can only hope we have a race half as good to get stuck into in years to come. The rest of the festival is shite.

STD did himself a lot of credit with his performance on the track and his words off it. His ride on TNO after being hindered was exceptional.

Someone help me; What was the lovely hurdler that Barry Connell list at Aintree? Talk about a massive supporter of the game being unlucky. The race as says owner did not deserve that. I can only hope we have a race half as good to get stuck into in years to come. The rest of the festival is shite.

Western Leader broke down when leading at Aintree and was off the best part of two years. He came back to win a beginners chase but was never the horse he had looked before the injury.

Our Conor's very sad demise undoubtedly took the shine off the day . Had he stood up we could well be hailing a different new champion .Otherwise it was a pretty perfect Cheltenham day and I speak as one who backed the two horses turned over in photo finishes.

Poor day punting wise.
Thought the much maligned on here Scu gave Western Warhorse a cracking ride.
Still it's a marathon not a sprint

A lovely piece from Barry Connell in today's Racing Post. I really hope that over the coming years he gets the success his investment and decency deserves.

Last edited:
Back