Popcorn Time

icebreaker

At the Start

POPCORN TIME

Has anyone tried this new-ish movie platform developed by the tech community?
I have, and I think it is simply marvellous. It beats Netflix into a cocked-hat on content and price (it's totally free). I like it so much I have migrated from newsgroups to P.T. for my watching pleasure. Up-to-date movies which Netflix don't have yet, and all the TV shows too. I could conceivably see it being the death knell for Netflix and other pay-for services.
It enjoins torrent streaming protocols with a dedicated media player, but is so simple to use once it is downloaded. It has a similar ( but better ,imo) Netflix-style user-interface. Even with my slow broadband, the quality is excellent with no buffering delays.
It has a built-in VPN for anyone who wishes anonymity, and many more features e.g., a choice of over a dozen subtitle languages for movies

A quick Google for popcorntime.io will explain and demonstrate far better than I.

I have only one question at the moment ................... Is It Legal ? :D

The screenshot in below post gives an idea of just a couple of the movies available. As shown, all are recent realeases.

Thanks for this. I'm a fan of Netflix for its headline stuff but even the US version is limited when you go past that.

Is this illegal streaming like showbox, or is this official?
Slim, do you use the US Netflix or just the UK one?

actually having looked at the site properly, its illegal, but you won't ever get caught using it so....

actually having looked at the site properly, its illegal, but you won't ever get caught using it so....
Yeah, seems a grey area regarding legality.
"The creators of Popcorn Time stated emphatically that it’s perfectly legal to run the app because neither you nor the app “hold” the movies – the Internet holds them.There isn’t a single entity here that Hollywood’s lawyers can attack. The developers can go underground and distribute their creations under multiple names. They’re not charging for the program or incorporating ads. Popcorn Time is Napster for video without a company that is trying to turn it into a business. It is the epitome of online guerrilla warfare".

The techcrunch.com review of Popcorn Time (from which the above quote is taken) is ecstatic about the technology.
"Popcorn Time Is Hollywood’s Worst Nightmare, And It Can’t Be Stopped".

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/17/popcorn-time-is-hollywoods-worst-nightmare-and-it-cant-be-stopped/

Here's a little workaround I've figured for anyone who wants to store and later watch a video from Popcorn Time.

1) Select the movie or TV show of choice. (You could then click the little green button to check the strength of the download -- the ratio of seeds to peers).
2) Click SETTINGS (the cogged wheel icon on the top-right of page).
3) Tick box "Show Advanced Settings".
3) In "Cache Directory", Untick box "Clear Tmp Folder after closing app?"
4) Close window.
5) Begin download by clicking Watch Now. (I stop the film when it has begun whilst allowing the download to continue; this makes for faster download).
6) When download is comlete, return to Settings page.
7) Click the little folder icon alongside Cache Directory -- "Open Cache Directory".

Your movie will now be in a pop-up temporary folder which you can view at a later time, or transfer to a usb memory stick to bung into your telly. :)

I was busy last night so just wrote a quick reply.
Popcorn time, showbox etc are all actually legal, however, and this really annoys me, big business influence courts. The Pirate Bay is legal, it is exactly the same as this, doesn't host any files, just links, yet try to access it from the UK and you will find it blocked. Just like many NZB or Torrent sites that have 'seized by MPAA/FACT' holding pages on them, simply because they have bought justice.
I know all the arguments how that you shouldn't watch pirate movies, but the fact is, it isn't illegal. However big movie studio's go to court and get takedown requests granted (most the time they don't even go to court) . Just to prove its the fact that they have money, google has money, yet when you go to google you don't get a 'This domain has been seized by FACT' page, even though there are thousands of links on it for both nzb and torrent files.
Look at what companies are up against when they refuse to block users:
Small Swedish ISP against TV companies including SVT, TV4 Group, MTG TV, SBS Discovery and C More will team up with the IFPI and the Swedish Video Distributors group which counts Fox Paramount, Disney, Warner and Sony

https://torrentfreak.com/isp-categorically-refuses-to-block-pirate-bay-trial-set-for-october-150304/

not exactly the same but EasyDNS don't like takedown notices and shows what type of thing happens

http://blog.easydns.org/2014/08/29/...sending-notices-of-criminality-to-registrars/

this is a good article regarding the above and links to other cases like it, which are certainly worth reading through

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ed-criminal-behavior-because-it-says-so.shtml

The technology is evolving at a fast rate. A new spin-off from Popcorntime is mobdro -- an indexing engine for live streaming TV.
It is truly excellent. All the SkySports Channels, Setanta, BT Sport, RUK, ESPN etc as well as sky premier films and more for free.

How are they getting away with it?

The one problem I am having is that while mobdro works perfectly well on my Samsung S4 phone, I cannot get it to work on my quadcore tablet. Both are Android O.S. so I dunno what the issue is. I keep getting "the live stream is offline" message on the tablet, whilst the phone is streaming perfectly.

Could anyone try it out and let me know if it works on their own tablet. It only takes a minute to download the utility.

Ta.

www.mobdro.com

Hell !
Really ?

Are you getting a watchable stream from Sky Sports and the other pay sports channels, Granger?

Last edited:
I have to reply from my phone via Tapa talk.
Mate, I'm in trouble here! After downloading Blue stacks, I'm stuck on a blank screen. I can't even turn off my laptop; it's become completely unresponsive. I shall have to unplug it without shutting down. It is completely crashed.

I have to reply from my phone via Tapa talk.
Mate, I'm in trouble here! After downloading Blue stacks, I'm stuck on a blank screen. I can't even turn off my laptop; it's become completely unresponsive. I shall have to unplug it without shutting down. It is completely crashed.

It took a while for it to load for me

Yes, well after re-booting my laptop, I've opened up BlueStacks after a lot of kerfuffle with 2-step verification etc.
But all it shows is a android-style screen full of various apps from the Play Store. I used the search function but mobdro does not come up from the search, I don't know how I can download mobdro via Bluestacks.
I don't think I will persevere further with this avenue.

I ask again -- for the last time, I promise -- has anyone downloaded mobdro to a tablet? Please?

But I do thank you, Granger, for the suggestion. I will try with BluesStacks again in the coming days ............... when I have a little more karma. :)

Have installed on phone, but seems a bit hit and miss. Sky Sports 1 comes up with eurosport. SS2-4 don't load. SS5 loads, as does BT sport 1. Going to load on tablet and see now how that goes.

Cheers Reet and Granger.
As it turns out, I got it to work this afternoon on the tablet.
It was a minor glitch that was preventing it from doing so.

Earlier, and yesterday, I was tearing my hair out over t -- went so far as talking to a member of the Mobdro dev team on Google+ about it. He couldn't help either and he hadn't come across the same problem before.
But early today whilst messing around with it again, I noticed that the Sky Sports channels were in clusters on the menu. When I scrolled down to the second (and third) cluster, and then clicked on, say, Sky Sports 1 it worked! Don't ask me why, it seems to be a bug in the sys. Anyway, if I now bypass the first "cluster", and scroll down to another cluster and then click on the chosen channel I get the live streaming.
Sorted. :)

Back