Preakness

maythehorsebewithyou

At the Start
draw made tonight. Rachel on the outside, not necessarily a bad thing as I believe there is plenty of time before the first turn at Pimlico. A very very interesting race.

Post Horse Jockey Trainer Odds
1 Big Drama J. Velazquez D. Fawkes 10-1
2 Mine That Bird M. Smith B. Woolley Jr. 9-2
3 Musket Man E. Coa D. Ryan 10-1
4 Luv Gov J. Theriot D.W. Lukas 50-1
5 Friesan Fire G. Saez L. Jones 10-1
6 Terrain J. Rose A. Stall Jr. 30-1
7 Papa Clem R. Bejarano G. Stute 8-1
8 General Quarters J. Leparoux T. McCarthy 20-1
9 Pioneerof the Nile G. Gomez B. Baffert 5-1
10 Flying Private A. Garcia D.W. Lukas 50-1
11 Take the Points E. Prado T. Pletcher 30-1
12 Tone It Down K. Desormeaux W. Komlo 50-1
13 Rachel Alexandra C. Borel S. Asmussen 9-5

Rachel wins IMO with Friesan Fire finishing best of the rest, he was badly bumped and shuffled back through the field in the Derby so in comparison to the other also rans (Papa Clem, Pioneerof The Nile, Musket Man) he's had a relatively easy time of it.

Rachael Alexander is available to lay for a place at 1-2.Being a filly and having the widest draw I would be happy to lay her at that price.

the more I look at this race, the more I come up with Rachel. I suppose the doubt is whether she has recovered well enough from her tremendous Oaks win. All the guys from the Derby looked to have a had a very hard race, but I'd probably give Freisan Fire another chance to fire after his dismal run in the Derby. Larry Jones usually takes the conservative route so Id take him running Freisan Fire back so soon to be a sign that he is a confident run tonight.

Love it! After how ugly the Derby was it is really nice to see this race run on decent ground and Mine That Bird finish right up there. No fluke then.

Some filly, :)

Some filly. Derby winner ran a good one too..that was the first time she had to dig deep..jockey said she did not like the track

one of the best races ive seen in a while.... glad to see MTB finish so well after some slightly silly comments following derby win from certain media quarters

great racing exposure over in the states as well after all the bad press over eight belles last year. As Jess Jackson rightly put it, Champions run with Champions..

An exceptional achievement for a filly to win a colts classic, but I'd hold on before calling her an exceptional filly.

With a clear trip (rather than having to track wide) the second horse probably would have won.

Last edited:
Hopefully she won't go to the Belmont which is usually a slog ..keep her for the late season races and breeders cup.. Could see jockey getting back on MTB and easily winning the Belmont.

Back