harry

At the Start
Anyone been or sent their kids?

experiences good or bad?

would love to know.

On here or PM

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, went to private boarding school as did my siblings. Boarding school itself makes for a much more independent child and the private aspect meant that class sizes were smaller. There was a wider array of subjects available to us in comparison to the local public school and also a greater range of sports and extra curricular activities.

Probably ok if you know you know can afford to send your children to one until they reach university age, but I've seen kids really struggle when their family have fallen on hard times and they have to switch to a local comp. My daughter and I shocked ourselves recently by both admitting that, if we had the money, we would send the grandchildren to private school; as it is they're saving already to help the boys through uni. Having said that, although private schools have smaller class sizes etc the teachers don't have to be as qualified as those working for local authority schools.

I went to a pretty strongly selective grammar school which turned private whilst i was there. I was in second last state year. The school had many of the trappings of a public school whilst being in state sector. I didn't like it much. one thing I did notice was that certain prep schools crammed their pupils to get into my grammar school. And crammed they were. Frankly, without being nasty, many had overachieved very badly and were far less bright than the state school kids.

Im not keen on the whole public school system full stop in truth.

The teacher qualifications are the same state or private in Ireland, where I went to school so that held no bearing. I'd agree with Moehat re switching to a state school mid way through it would be a tough change. As much as I dislike admitting it, private school has given me many connections and open doors along the way. Would this be the same if I'd attended a state school? I'm not sure but I doubt it.

Harry,

My only experience is through my cricket coaching (kids from the private schools made up 30-40% of my junior teams, chosen purely on cricketing prowess).

Those young cricketers always seemed ahead in 'maturity', an attribute which gives them a huge advantage in terms of opportunity.

One warning, in the case of parents wanting a reference from me in support of 'sporting' scholarships. Whilst I always gave full support feedback from a number of parents whose children were awarded a SS included comments like 'Johnny was always 'out of class' representing the school, so academically not such a good idea!

mr2

I went to private school from the age of 7 after going to the local primary school. Initially I went as a daygirl to a small but lovely prep school but although it went up to 16, the headmistress felt it wasn't pushing me enough so I went to a larger private girls school in Bath as a boarder. Cried my eyes out for 2 weeks then loved it. In fact I used to cry leaving my friends to go home! I then left after an OK set of O level results and went to my brother's school in Cheltenham in the 6th form (23 girls to 567 boys!). The difference in the teaching here was incredible. I went from an average mark to top of the entire year without even realising it (probably really just showing off in front of the boys!) And it was a lovely school. So much to do all the time and you were never bored. Admittedly it helped being in a lovely town and I was allowed to go to the Festival (where my dad was working as a vet) by the headmaster as it was felt it would further my career (how on earth did I swing that one!)

But my experience was one of loving school.

I went to a private boys school from 11 having been to my village primary. That felt like a nice balance.

The school took boarders but I went as a day pupil. It was a very academically focused school which suited me - I was quite clever but needed pushing to work hard enough. The sports facilities, music etc were also way better than you'd find in the majority if state schools.

With my own kids I'll be having a look at the local state school, but if there's a significantly better option which happens to be private then I won't hesitate. They will go to the village primary first though - important to make friends in the village where you live rather than being packed straight off into a world of Tarquins and Tabithas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No probs, there is a network of Home ed groups that also meet so the kids can make friends with others in their situation.

Back