Prix D'amerique Paris Today

Venusian

At the Start
The Prix D'Amerique comes round again today, with a full field of 18 runners.

As per usual, no coverage of this €1million race, the most important run in Europe after the Arc, either in the Racing Post or in the betting shops.

But, supposing I were able to place a bet and could therefore have my arm twisted to do so, I'd go (unimaginatively) for Offshore Dream to retain his title, with Niky being an e/w outsider to scamper into a place, especially if there's plenty of pace on early. Last week's Cornulier winner, Magnificent Rodney, may be better under saddle, although having Jos Verbeeck holding the reins won't do his chances any harm. The 18 runners have between them won well over €15million in career prize money.

Anywhere I can see the race on the net, does anyone know?

I don't know sorry, but thought I'd mention that they did have quite a bit yesterday on Betfair Radio about the race, and also recommended Offshore Dream

Well, that's his chances down the swannee (or down the Seine)!

But if Offshore Dream does win from from Niky with Magnificent Rodney third, then I'm going to be less than gruntled.

It was Stuart their top tipster who gave the tip, he likes Magnificent Rodney too
I've had a fiver on OD at 4.1 to win and another on MR to place also at 4.1
About 18 Grand gambled so far on the win market, 8 grand on the place

That was me!

Seriously though, in terms of prize money, betting turnover, attendance and general interest, what could rival it on the mainland of Europe?

Thanks for putting the thread up Ven, I'd forgotten to put a bet on :)
It was only a tiny fun bet, but every little helps

Originally posted by Venusian@Jan 27 2008, 04:34 PM
That was me!

Seriously though, in terms of prize money, betting turnover, attendance and general interest, what could rival it on the mainland of Europe?
Galway festival beats every other Irish festival for those criteria...doesn't make it the most important.

Its not even the same sport as horse racing that we discuss. Like comparing tennis and badminton.

Btw it's not 'Stuart' but DAVID STEWART on Betfair Radio, just looked it up - he's mustard!

On today are Nick Shiambouros, David Cleary & David Stewart
The guys on Friday were so awful I couldn't make out the tips from the chatter and banter -
they drove me down to the bookies earlier than I'd intended!

Loved David S's remark when moving on from the AIG Hurdle to Southwell
"right - now, from the sublime to the ridiculous"

Yes, Galway doesn't have too many Grade 1 races, but the D'Amerique is a Grade 1, with a top class supporting card - total prize money for the day is over €1.5 million, 30 to 40 thousand in attendance, huge betting turnover, and widespread interest throughout Europe.

So, after the Arc, what comes next?

On the flat, the Prix De Diane day has exploded in popularity in the last few years, but it doesn't have that much international appeal, and (through no fault of its own) tends to take place in the shadow of the Franch Open tennis championships.

I know they're trying to get the Grand Prix De Paris back up to its former glory, and may do so in years to come, but it's not happened yet, .

The Grand Steeple-Chase De Paris just isn't as big a deal, and rarely attracts runners from abroad. I'd certainly like it to be shown in the UK though.

Scandinavians might root for Stockholm's Elitlopp, but I'm not quite convinced.

Trotting is not horse racing Ven imo. Not even remotely similar to racing.

Its like assuming the Aussie's should take an interest in Irish football (GAA)....yes there are similarities but major differences all the same. Showjumping is not reported in the Racingpost either and rightly so.

Well I listen just about every day and I know which of the tipsters makes me the most dosh :P
I don;t back his more outlandish long shots very often, but what DS has to say is always worth listening to, he knows his form inside out

I do, as I just said. I listen every day if I don't go down the bookies
He's good. But I find DS more lucrative!

EG, he just tipped Jimmy The Saint in the bumper at Kelso, I backed at 9 and the horse was just touched off - by another newcomer whom he also mentioned

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 27 2008, 04:14 PM
Not even remotely?! Have you been at the funny cigarettes, Gallo?

Comparing two sports like Gaelic and Aussie Rules which each only take place in one country, with the two countries concerned at opposite ends of the world, is not really a fair comparison.

I'm not in any way wanting trotting to supercede our flat or NH racing, but it would be nice if a few of major Grade 1s, like the D'Amerique, the Elitlopp and the Cornulier (events which take place only a few hundred miles from our shores) were given some sort of coverage in this most insular island of ours. We're talking around maybe an hour or two of tv/internet broadcasting per year, and no more than a few dozen column inches of press coverage.

Top class stuff, and something a little different.

Originally posted by Venusian+Jan 27 2008, 05:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Venusian @ Jan 27 2008, 05:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Jan 27 2008, 04:14 PM
Not even remotely?! Have you been at the funny cigarettes, Gallo?

Comparing two sports like Gaelic and Aussie Rules which each only take place in one country, with the two countries concerned at opposite ends of the world, is not really a fair comparison.

I'm not in any way wanting trotting to supercede our flat or NH racing, but it would be nice if a few of major Grade 1s, like the D'Amerique, the Elitlopp and the Cornulier (events which take place only a few hundred miles from our shores) were given some sort of coverage in this most insular island of ours. We're talking around maybe an hour or two of tv/internet broadcasting per year, and no more than a few dozen column inches of press coverage.

Top class stuff, and something a little different. [/b][/quote]
It has horses....thats the only similarity!!

Different paces, training, requirements etc etc. Its in a similar boat to show jumping, eventing etc. All horse related sports which I have little or no interest in because they are a seperate sport to horse racing.

Why should the Racing Post give coverage to it when they could be doing so much more with horse racing as it is...if they do that they will have to cover show jumping, eventing etc.

As for insular yes it is not perfect....but for my view Racingpost do a pretty good job on the international scene. I would be interested to know how much the French papers, internet etc covered todays meeting at leopardstown...not much me thinks!

For instance the Racing Post has an international section on its website...right now it has reports covering races from US, Dubai, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan and Hong Kong. That is not insular!

I think that trotting has rather more in common with thoroughbred racing than with show jumping or eventing! Paris-Turf certainly doesn't see things that way, nor does the PMU site. Btw, did you know Soumi has an amateurs licence, and has won a race? (Don't start, Sunybay!)

Yes, you get some limited coverage in the RP, but you don't normally get much in-depth stuff, such as detailed form, nor do you find much support from the bookmakers - ever seen the Grand Steeple-Chase on their betting shop screens?

Anyway, I shall return to the topic of "why can't the media provide a little more quality coverage of top level international racing" (regardless of gait!) in a separate thread, at another time...once I've finished my tax return!

I watched the last Grand Steeplechase on the screens in the Newbury Ladbrokes iirc.
They showed the whole card, screen was small, and no sound, but better than nothing

But I agree the coverage is terrible, esp as Irish and British horses always run on the card in good numbers. You'd think they could use Fred Winter's ride on Mandarin - which was voted best of all time after all - to drum up a bit of interest in younger people

I'm not a fan of trotting races, btw, as it makes me quite uncomfortable to watch horses being asked to do something so unnatural, and makes me question how you train them to trot at that speed. There's something a bit horrible about it....

I think I mentioned once before how a friend took on a retired trotter in Ibiza, and had a really difficult job getting it to relax and canter - it just didn't dare.... And she was a brilliant horsewoman, one of the best I've known. I felt sorry for the horse, really sorry

Ugh, trotting! It's weird and unnatural for the horse - not a fan myself.

Besides you can't really compare racing to an illegal sport carried out by pikeys on dual carriageways on quiet days whereby they run the animals straight up into a waiting lorry with its ramp down if the law turn up!!! :P :P

(for those that hadn't guessed, the second part was wholly taking the p*ss, even though it does happen!)

Back