Prix Du Moulin De Longchamp

Judging on the ground conditions, DOM probably should be running today while Henry would have been better off waiting for Ascot.

Though credit to the winner, clearly a very tough sort who is holding her form very well.

Interesting ~ again the commentary suggested that he was pushed along behind the leaders at the turn into the straight (or false straight) before dropping away completely as if something had gone wrong (the expression "done himself a mischief" was even used!). They really are rubbish, aren't they?

Interesting ~ again the commentary suggested that he was pushed along behind the leaders at the turn into the straight (or false straight) before dropping away completely as if something had gone wrong (the expression "done himself a mischief" was even used!). They really are rubbish, aren't they?

Henry was never near the leaders, must have been a good 10 lengths off them turning in.

HENRY FIFTH AS GOLDIKOVA STRIKES

Freddie Head's golden season continued apace at Longchamp as Goldikova claimed the scalp of Henrythenavigator in the Prix du Moulin.
The French handler has carried all before him in Group Ones this term and was at it again in this ultra-competitive contest.
Given a sound ride from Olivier Peslier, the filly gained a clear-cut advantage two and a half furlongs from home to defeat Darjina quite tidily.
British raider Paco Boy was third, while dual 2000 Guineas hero Henrythenavigator could only finish fifth.
Goldikova was supplementing a recent triumph in the Prix Rothschild at Deauville, where she again lowered the colours of Darjina.
But given the calibre of opposition in the Moulin, this was arguably a far more impressive display from the daughter of Anabaa.
Always travelling sweetly, Goldikova (3-1) readily zipped past the pacemaking Sarissa and showed textbook resilience to hold off Darjina in the manner of a top-class animal.
Paco Boy, trained by Richard Hannon, came with a late rattle under Richard Hughes but had to be content with third.
Disappointment of the race was obviously Henrythenavigator, who made up plenty of ground from the rear but never looked like testing the chief protagonists.
Head said: "She loves the course here and was second in the French Guineas. She has a lot of speed and can cruise along very quickly.
"I knew she was well and ready to run a big race. She was against the colts for the first time and I wasn't certain she could win but I was certain of her well-being and quality.
"She will definitely go the Breeders' Cup now, but I will discuss the options with the owner. She could go for the Mile or the Filly and Mare Turf - I don't think stamina would be a problem for the latter as she proved she stayed when third in the Diane."
Hannon's assistant Richard junior said of Paco Boy: "He has run a great race but was a little unlucky running to the line, like last time he ran here.
"He was tight for room in the closing stages but he has proved he can win a Group One in time."
O'Brien said of Henrythenavigator: "It was a very close call to make about him running as we know that Henry loves fast ground.
"He has ran a good race but the top was coming off the ground.
"Johnny (Murtagh) said he laboured a little on it and he wasn't able to get hold of it as he normally can.
"He is a fast-ground horse and speed is his big attribute, but that was blunted and he could never get into top gear.
"We'll have a look at options now and we will have to consider Ascot - and longer-term, the Breeders' Cup."

She`s good, but Goldikova`s victories over a mile should in no way contract Zarkava`s odds for the Arc. She is currently terrible value.

Well I think that will depend on how she does . It remains the case that she has twice thrashed Goldikova after barely coming off the bridle .

I do think it is a shame the Aga is so Arc obsessed . Would it have ruined Zarkava had she turned up for the Irish Champion or KG?

It should be noted she has thrashed on fast ground....has since excelled with plenty of ease in the ground.

He never would have won but I didn't think Murtagh covered himself in glory with the ride. It seemed as though him and Spencer were content having a chat out the back until they turned for home.

Nice to see the Jacques Wertheimer silks enjoying a welcome return to Group 1 glory this season. Ivanjica's is the first Arc I can remember watching and they have always been one of my fave sets of colours.

Wertheimer brothers have never been very interested in horse racing, it was their father a great supporter of the sport.

Pierre Wetheimer, Jacques' father, started it all forming a signifcant partnership with Alec Head in 1949 which bore its biggest fruit when Lavandin won the 1956 Derby. After Pierre died his wife Germaine took on the ownership and significant winners for her included Lyphard and and Riverman until she too passed away.

The horses were running in Jacques name by the time Ivanjica gave him the family's first Arc.

I wasn't aware the sons were not great race fans, although it would seem they are fast learners having had some decent horses since Jacques passed away.

Back