8 Arcadia's Angle (Lemaire/Bary)
9 Cat Junior (Hughes/Meehan)
10 Senlis (Sanna/Borromeo)
11 Eustachione (Victoire/Gasparini)
12 Farrel (Vargiu/Grizzetti)
13 Raven's Pass (Fortune/Gosden)
14 Murcielago (Castanheira/Demercastel)
15 Falco (Peslier/Laffon-Parias)
16 Poligold (Blancpain/Laffon-Parias C.)

Despite the absence of any Ballydoyle runners, there seems to be a couple of pacemakers in here. Amazing, eh? Anyway, Gosden runs Legislation for Raven's Pass (Legislation is owned by Princess Haya, but remember that Sheikh Mohammed owns a share in Raven's Pass) and Laffon-Parias has Poligold in for Falco.

Looks to me like the best renewal of this race since they turned it into what is effectively a Guineas consolation a few years back. The first, second and fourth from the French Guineas reoppose, with the St James's Palace second and the belated return of the unbeaten Winker Watson to spice things up.

From the RP:

High hopes ahead of Plata's bid for Jean Prat glory

Press Association Sport

HOPES are high in the Godolphin camp that Rio De La Plata, a Group 1 winner as a juvenile, can bag his first success as a three-year-old in the Prix Jean Prat at Chantilly on Sunday.

The Rahy colt finished second behind Falco in the French 2,000 Guineas on his first start this year before coming home seventh when upped considerably in trip for a crack at the Derby at Epsom.

Connections now feel the drop back to a mile in France will suit and are expecting a very big show with conditions set to suit.

"Rio De La Plata has been working well and is in good form," said trainer Saeed Bin Suroor.

"I was pleased with his run in the Vodafone Derby but the return to his best trip of a mile will suit him.
"He's ready to go and has the class to win a race like this despite the tough opposition."

Simon Crisford, Godolphin's racing manager, is also looking forward to seeing Rio De La Plata drop back in distance.

Crisford added: "I think Rio De La Plata will run a good race. He ran really well in the Vodafone Derby over a trip that was too far for him and his run in the Poule d'Essai des Poulains was very good from a bad draw.

"He will get his ground in France and he's in good order and should be there or thereabouts," he told www.godolphin.com.

Rio De La Plata will break from stall six in a competitive field of 16, which includes the likes of Falco, Arcadia's Angle, Raven's Pass and Winker Watson.

Dried out again to "Good: 3.1". Fans of Ravens Pass might do well to keep an eye on the PMU prices.

I'd take Raven's Pass on with Rio De La Plata.

Arcadia's Angle @ 5/1 for a place is my bet.

Same here. Trying to get 6. RP is very short looking considering there has to be a question mark as to how fast it will be in France. Also, Fortune will surely anchor him towards the rear and i don`t see it being a foregone that they`ll go fast even though Falco has a pacemaker.

EDIT: Trying to get 6 on Rio not Arcadia`s Angle.

Last edited:
I think Raven's Pass is the likiest winner but I want him to display his stamina for a second time over a mile...just a nagging doubt. At the prices I will take Falco, he beat the Godolphin horse in the French Guineas remember.

Last edited:

The return of Winker Watson is eagerly anticipated today and he done a really good piece of work on Tuesday when finishing 2l to the good of Al Qasi who with a stronger pace would have collected yesterday. He will come on for this run but should go well. Rio De La Plata hasn’t been working the house down of late and was a shade disappointing when 7th in the Derby, I agree he didn’t stay but I would prefer to see him over 10f as a mile may be sharp enough for him.
Raven’s Pass’ 2nd at Ascot was a really good effort and he is improving on the gallops. I think he is a smashing sort who won’t want any more rain but on good ground is a major player. He is one I would want on my side here after some pleasing gallops and he is strongly expected to win by lads in the yard.
At bigger prices Cat Junior was not considered a fluke effort at Ascot by his trainer and they feel he is still learning the game, he could give a good showing. The ground isn’t soft enough for Falco and he is overlooked. If there is one for a big price it would be Kandahar Run who has been working very well on the gallops and looked in top gear when stretching on from Twice Over in a recent gallop. He didn’t get home in the Derby and back over a mile he is expected to show up prominently. He has each way claims at long odds but could struggle to beat the classy Ravens Pass.

Thats my ten cents for what its worth

yep it did, personally think JF gave Raven's too much to do.

I tought both Cat Junior and Kandahar would be involved just gutted Kandahar couldn't grab a place as had ew on him. Rio ran as if he wants 10f. Winner was in the right place at the right time, Ravens Pass given too much to do for my liking, you can't give away that much ground in this standard of race.

So, Raven`s Pass is given too much to do as i expected and an animal beaten in the French 2000 by the draw as much as anything else triumphs. Have i collected then?

1st: Tamayuz
2nd: Ravens Pass 1.5l
3rd: Rio De La Plata 1/2l
4th: Cat Junior Nck
5th: Kandahar Run Sht-Head

7th: Winker Watson (beat 6l maybe, blew up, good comeback run, questionable if he gets a mile).

10th: Falco, emptied 250m out, needs softer ground

Last edited:
Chris what did you make of Ramonti's comeback run yesterday? Competition for Henry is drying up for the Sussex Stakes.

Chris what did you make of Ramonti's comeback run yesterday? Competition for Henry is drying up for the Sussex Stakes.

To be honest a little disappointing but understandable. He had been very fresh in his homework and they had nothing to really get him hard off the bridle at home so he went there a bit unfurnished as he could only work with average sorts, because of Ibn Khaldun and Fast Company being out injured and McCartney not working well.

I think we will see a different horse at Goodwood but I was a tad disappointed. I didn't really think he would win yesterday and didn't fancy Cesare who despite working better than Spacious last week looked laboured in that gallop.

I think there is a big danger to Henry in 2 weeks and thats Atlantic Sport, whom I think would have been 3rd in the Guineas had he run. I also wouldn't write off Infallible to try and nick it down the hill.

Goodwood is a funny track and I wouldn't write off Phoenix Tower coming back to a mile, nor would I write off Tariq who handles Goodwood.

Henry's form is solid and he is there to be beaten but I don't think its a full gone conclusion and how many hard races will he take.

I would be amazed if any of those (Phoenix Tower, Atlantic Sport, Infallible etc) could seriously trouble Henry particularly on a track fast track like Goodwood.

I agree on raw form, but Henry has now had 3 very hard races and I'm not sure how much more he will take.

Also I feel a couple are open to improvement. Henry is yet to take on his elders and I'm not convinced Henry will handle Goodwood. Providing he is odds on, I would be a layer rather than a player.

I agree on raw form, but Henry has now had 3 very hard races and I'm not sure how much more he will take.

Also I feel a couple are open to improvement. Henry is yet to take on his elders and I'm not convinced Henry will handle Goodwood. Providing he is odds on, I would be a layer rather than a player.

3 hard races? Won in a canter at The Curragh and has had an ideal campaign after having a nice break now between Ascot and Goodwood. O'Brien has shown time and time again he has a great way of keeping these top class horses on the go all season.

One thing that is guaranteed...he will be odds on (long odds on) provided that the ground is fast.

Back