Prix Maurice DeGheest

It was hardly 'great stuff' today was it. More like 'fully entitled to win in that fashion stuff'. He's now won 2 Group 1's this year, but for me, his best effort came on his reappearance when he smashed up the Kings Stand winner and the rest when giving them weight. He's certainly entitled to be labelled the best sprinter in Europe this year.

In the process the 13-8 favourite became the first French racehorse in history to win three runnings of any Group 1 race.

That's why it's great stuff. I really can't believe I'm having to defend this.

That's why it's great stuff. I really can't believe I'm having to defend this.

Come on Gareth, look at the role of honour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prix_Maurice_de_Gheest

I doubt even AOB claimed King Charlemagne was amongst the best he`s trained. This race wasn`t promoted to Group 1 status because the standard of it`s victors demanded it, it`s because there was a perceived lack of Group 1 races at around six furlongs. And that`s down to fashion and breeding more than anything else.

That may be the case, but they are sub-par compared to the milers and middle distance horses. There is virtually no gap classwise between the Group sprinters and their handicapping cousins. Whereas it is cavernous at the other distances.

There are two reasons for this:

1. The gap in prize money between valuable sprint handicaps and group sprints is relatively small, so there's a big overlap between the two divisions. Once you get to a mile or more, there are plenty of valuable group races for horses to run in without having to go anywhere near handicaps.

2. More sprinters are bred compared to 10f+ horses, therefore it's more competitive. It's harder for just one or two horses to dominate in sprinterland.

I know perfectly well where the race fits into the pattern and the level of performance needed to win it. It doesn't diminish the achievement at all. Jesus, these days it's remarkable if a trainer can get a horse to a big race 3 years running...

Back