Promising Young Jockeys

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
B

Bruce_Savage

Brendan Powell Jnr.:

Lovely rider this lad!

What a future he has, just notched up a treble at Plumpton, the chirpy chap had mud streaming down his face and enthusiasm for the game was written all over that smile!

What a day, he's been taught well I suppose but it's going to be great to see him and Sam Twiston Davies in the future fighting it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't made a comment on all this stupdity yet, but you think the mods could get involved - it's getting ridiculous, and I can only see people leaving the forum.

Kieran O'Neill

476913.jpg

I've noticed this talented claimer in recent weeks and think he could be destined for a very very bright future!

This lad has a clock in his head like no other apprentice I've seen since John Reid, expressed with his perfect ride on Megalala this month and his exploits on the turf this season gone winning £225,097 in prize money.

He's already landed a race at the Goodwood Festival with Albaqaa, a tricky horse at the best of times. I'm telling you this jockey is destined for great things, I think he could easily be the succesor for Richard Hughes at the Hannons, I'm in awe of his riding ability.

The whole world has know about Kieran O'Neill for some time now. Will you be starting a thread that Anthony McCoy is strong in a finish anytime soon?

Can we keep on topic and talk about Kieran O'Neill, I don't care whether I'm the last person to find out about him it's a topic for us to discuss the talents of the apprentice

Brendan gave 9/2 shot Only Witness a fantastic ride for his father in the 3M chase at Ludlow today, winning race of the day.

Would be worth taking a look if anyone gets the time, it's a fantastic ride.

Y-you m-mean he's Kathy and Headstrong? :blink:

Without picking any arguments with anyone, I thought we were supposed to have only one alias, although my also being Irish Stamp, Clivex and G-G hasn't yet been picked up on...

Bit sad, I know,but I had to satisfy my curiosity; John Reid served his apprenticeship in the early seventies.....40 years ago.

Bruce, I'm sorry you feel you have been badly treated on here and uz factry workers will have to survive without your help..........WEE SALUT EWE.

Brendan rode for us ( P. Bowen ) two weeks ago and we were very impressed. Def giving him more rides. As the other guys say please leave out the nonsense though

Maurice Linehan

Jonjo-Oneill-Maurice-Linehan-blue-Richie-McLe_2679058.jpg

By Lee Sobot
Published on Thursday 1 December 2011 04:45

With anything up to a 10lbs claim, having a decent apprentice on your side who has so far gone unnoticed can be a valuable betting tool.

Unnoticed he hasn’t been but he’s still not exactly front page news and make no mistake – Maurice Linehan is a jockey destined for the top.

You’ll have to forgive me for being a bit hazy on Linehan’s details in this piece but therein lies the beauty –- the Irishman is fresh on the scene and there will still be many in the racing game who have not heard of him, yet alone recognise his talents.

But those who haven’t heard of the youngster very soon will as the young apprentice has shown in the last week that he is one of the best, if not the best young apprentices around.

And as he has been riding in the green and yellow striped silks of JP McManus, it is little wonder that Linehan is being dubbed the “new Tony McCoy”.

Even as someone who follows the racing religiously every day, Linehan was not a name I was familiar with until he got the leg up on O’Callaghan Strand at Wetherby at the end of October.

Polished

The Jonjo O’Neill-trained five-year-old was a well-fancied 2-1 favourite, but the obvious question being asked by most backers was: “who on earth is the jockey?”

It will have been most punters’ first observation of the claimer but while O’Callaghan Stand failed to land the odds, there was nothing wrong with Linehan’s riding technique, indeed the youngster looked polished in the saddle, getting his mount quietly into contention with a softly, softly approach all the way round.

Promising and sure enough just two days later came, by my reckoning, Linehan’s first British winner on Tarvini at Huntingdon and what a ride it was!

Tarvini is an idle so-and-so yet Linehan kept on persevering and eventually managed to get his mount home by a head – much to the delight of the 5-2 favourite bakers.

The strength and determination showed was remarkable and it’s little wonder that the Racing Post reported that the jockey brought his mount home in “McCoy-like manner” – especially given that he was donning the famous green and yellow silks of JP McManus.

If this guy goes on to become a champion – which he might – that ride will be looked back on in years to come.

Linehan had a quiet fortnight after Tarvini’s success and was beaten on 11-8 favourite Mission Complete at Ludlow on Monday of last week, but it was success again after that with the new sensation booting home Tarvini to another victory at Doncaster last Friday before landing a double at Towcester on Saturday on board Valley View and Spot The Ball.

The former was a steering job that Linehan merely had to coax home with Ruby Walsh-like finesse, but his effort on Spot The Ball was arguably even better than his first victory on Tarvini.

The 7-4 favourite was never going very well yet Linehan refused to throw in the towel and after jumping the last in contention he produced a power-packed finish to get the horse home by a neck.

It was amazingly reminiscent of a McCoy ride and not just because it was in the same colours. after two almost identical efforts on bone idle horses within a fortnight, Linehan’s heroics are no flash in the pan.

On what we’ve seen so far, Linehan looks the real deal – better than most professional jockeys and yet the O’Neill protege still claims an 8lbs claim.

It goes without saying that he won’t be long in losing that so be sure to make the most of it from a betting perspective while it lasts.

So, enough of his obvious talents, but just who is Maurice Linehan?

Well, he’s Irish, he’s obviously connected to the O’Neill stable and the Racing Post database shows that he has been riding over the National Hunt in Ireland for the last four years – albeit having only one ride in 2008-09 and three in 2009-10.

Last season saw his first winner on board Top Strategy at Punchestown.

The winning margin of that effort – a head – showed, even at that stage, the strengths of the clearly-talented jockey.

It won’t be the last time and expect to hear plenty more of Maurice Linehan in the months and years to come.

Looks to have quite a chubby face, any ideas if he could struggle with his weight in the future?. It would be a real shame if he does because he's a very talented rider but if his weight problems is the difference between a dead heat and a win then he won't get the job he deserves.

Would be really nice to see this lad make it.

Last edited:
Luke Morris

Luke-Morris_1897508.jpg

fter another double again yesterday at Lingfield for Luke Morris it is clear he is making a strong bid to retain his Champion All Weather Jockey's title.

If he was successful he'd be following in the footsteps of fellow BRS Grad Paul Hanagan who earlier this year retained his Champion Jockey Title for the 2nd year in a row.

Morris who came to the BRS in 2003-05 via the Flexible Learning Programme has now ridden 332 winners to date, of which 112 were in 2011 alone, and 15 for this year's All Weather campaign.

Yesterday at Lingfield Luke completed a 26-1 double aboard Instrumentalist and One Way Or Another and when asked by the Racing Post about the title bid he replied "I will have a go. I will stay around all winter and keep busy, and if I'm in with a chance in January then I will go for it."

Morris and Hanagan are both great examples of how hard work really does pay off and we wish Luke luck in the Title Race.

Fantastic prospect is Luke Morris,

Having watched him for the best part of 2 weeks I've come to the conclusion that he could be inline for a top job on the flat next year as possible back up to a world class jockey.

Think his strengh in the saddle is underated, gets the most quirky horses to run a race which is to be admired.

Thoughts?

Lucy Barry

299714_295555337129608_118694814815662_1147829_1714789013_n.jpg

Apart from being the most naturally attractive female jockey on the circuit Lucy Barry has to be tipped for a rise to the top.

With Hayley Turner making way for Female jockeys it's a perfect platform for the likes of Barry to grab the chance of potential stardom, her rides on Collect Art, Maze, Millielovestobouggie for me epitomised he fearless talent and riding ability topped off with unparalled strength in the saddle..

What are your thoughts?

Watch her ride on jordaura at wolves,non trier shouldv'e sluiced up!!!
In saying that i backed her on perfect honour where she raced on her own at donny on far side,if that was deliberate which it looked then proved she's got a bit of a brain compared to some.

Watch her ride on jordaura at wolves,non trier shouldv'e sluiced up!!!
In saying that i backed her on perfect honour where she raced on her own at donny on far side,if that was deliberate which it looked then proved she's got a bit of a brain compared to some.

She was fantastic Gigilo!

I think she's better than Hayley Turner.

Back