Punchestown Day 4

Sheikh

At the Start
I was a Hurricane fly man at the start of the Season but I think Punjabi is a better bet.He likes good ground at Punchestown and this may have been his target all along.

Last edited:
If I can back Dunguib and Hurrican Fly at 3/1 or bigger I will back the two of them -think it's a fair bet at evens.

I still want to be on Dunguib. I cant have the ground as an excuse and and at 7/2 he is snide e/w material. Punjabi has shown nothing this season and while Hurricane Fly is a danger you are taking a big leap of faith to back him after a lay off cosidering he was beaten first time ov when the market was very much in his favour.

Last edited:
Would much rather back Ronaldo des Mottes than Dunguib at the prices when you look at the Get Me Out Of Here form.

Same here David - much prefer Ronaldo Des Mottes to Dunguib at the respective prices and he's coming into the race fresh since he didn't run at either Cheltenham or Aintree.

Dunguib for me still has it all to prove, ground is against Solwhit..Hurricane Fly/ Punjabi to fight it out..The Fly to edge it imo;)

There's handicap form and there's handicap form. Limited handicap form when most of the field are making their reappearance is probably less strong than that of the richest handicap hurdle run in Europe. Tell me what price would Menorah or Get Me Out Of Here be in this, and then come back with a good reason to back Dunguib at 7/2.

Same here David - much prefer Ronaldo Des Mottes to Dunguib at the respective prices and he's coming into the race fresh since he didn't run at either Cheltenham or Aintree.

Was there a reason why he missed those Festivals - not the norm for the yard to by pass those festivals and wait for Punchestown.

Also, he was flattered to get so close to Get Me Out Of Here given how that one seriously fluffed the last hurdle.

In saying that I would not be a backed of Dunguib at the price either.

He wasn't flattered to be 6l clear of the rest. The horse has run poorly on his previous outings at Cheltenham and there wasn't really a suitable race at Aintree.

He wasn't flattered to be 6l clear of the rest. The horse has run poorly on his previous outings at Cheltenham and there wasn't really a suitable race at Aintree.

Fair enough - not sure what he beat in behind and he just does not have the profile for this type of race imo. Generally won by an established horse and his form other than his Newbury run leaves him with plenty to find.

Bar Punjabi and Solwhit. I think there's very little between this mob. Punjabi hasn't run to his best at all this season and whether Solwhit can in conditions this quick is debatable. Granted Hurricane Fly and Dunguib are the potential improvers that could post a mid 160's performance, but that potential is already fully taken into account in their prices. If they don't improve, and Solwhit and Punjabi don't run up to their best, then this looks a poor race in which most could be given a squeak.

Hurricane Fly is already rated 157 - I think he is fairly priced with your horse without HF's potential for further improvement considered. Ronaldo is 151.

I can't see how anyone would describe this as a poor race without effectively describing most Grade 1 hurdles this season as poor - the addition of Hurricane Fly and Dunguib adds real intrigue. So much so, that the progression of Voler La Vedette into this company has gone unnoticed and if Medermit's excuses at Cheltenham are to be believed, then he must come right into it.

That said, I agree with the reservations about Dunguibs price. I love the horse, but 7/2 in this company seems skinny. I've heard there were some reservations about Hurricane Fly's temperament the last day, it didn't impress a few observers. Provided he's a bit more relaxed today, he's a fine bet in conditions which should suit. Where does the pace in the race come from? It's crucial to the chances of Solwhit, Dunguib and one or two others who will doubtless be suited by a bit further either already or in time..

I dont think a slow/moderate pace is as much a negative for Dunguib as it is for Solwhit.

Hurricaine Fly - all best form on slow ground - Lay material
Dunguib - can't win novice G1 but is 2nd fav for this? ..Lay material

looks like two nice hype horses make the market

Hurricane Fly's most impressive performance came on a Yielding surface at Christmas when slaughtering Go Native. The ground that day was drying all the day.

When has he disappointed on a fast surface over hurdles...oh wait he has never had a chance so lets just assume?

In fact now that I look again - he has raced on a fast surface he destroyed his maiden hurdle field. While on the flat he raced on Good to Soft (whats that equivalent over jumps) when not beaten far by Lawman.

Hurricane Fly's most impressive performance came on a Yielding surface at Christmas when slaughtering Go Native. The ground that day was drying all the day.

When has he disappointed on a fast surface over hurdles...oh wait he has never had a chance so lets just assume?

never said he had disappointed on fast ground i don't think

i assume you have had a good bet on HF Gal? :rolleyes:

In fact now that I look again - he has raced on a fast surface he destroyed his maiden hurdle field. While on the flat he raced on Good to Soft (whats that equivalent over jumps) when not beaten far by Lawman.

and we all know how judging a horses going preference is best judged in mdn company :rolleyes:

Back