Punchestown Festival 2018

On aless serious note or maybe a more serious note SAMCRO.

No doubting he's the best novice around but taking on the Champion Hurdle runner up over a distance he decided against at Cheltenham.

It is one huge ask of any novice and we can but live in hope that he proves to be as special as many think.

I don't know that I would be prepared to take 1/1 money and I can't say I am champing at the bit to take 5/2 Melon.

To me the biggest certainty if there is such a thing is one of them will take the price and with 30 pound profit from every 100 invested I recon it's a no brainier for the big boys

They will be looking for 11/10 and 11/4 and no doubt those that haven't done so already will be looking to cash in tomorrow

Can think of worst things to risk hard cash on

Last edited:
It is based on watching the action on the tv, particularly the last couple of fences. Just seems pokey and gaff like.

Expansive would be a much better description than pokey, Euro. It's a great track, imo (proper fair test), but it's not done any kind of justice through TV pictures.

On aless serious note or maybe a more serious note SAMCRO.

No doubting he's the best novice around but taking on the Champion Hurdle runner up over a distance he decided against at Cheltenham.

It is one huge ask of any novice and we can but live in hope that he proves to be as special as many think.

I don't know that I would be prepared to take 1/1 money and I can't say I am champing at the bit to take 5/2 Melon.

To me the biggest certainty if there is such a thing is one of them will take the price and with 30 pound profit from every 100 invested I recon it's a no brainier for the big boys

They will be looking for 11/10 and 11/4 and no doubt those that haven't done so already will be looking to cash in tomorrow

Can think of worst things to risk hard cash on

2m Championship hurdle division is relatively poor, imo, and Samcro shouldn't have anything much to fear from a horse who finished second at Cheltenham. Mick Jazz was beaten under 4L, and I'd have Samcro easily having the beating of that one - even over the minimum trip. I don't like Samcro's price much, but I don't think he has anything verging on remotely-near the "huge ask" you describe. The second and third in the Ballymore have hardly let the Cheltenham form down either.

It always has been and always will be a huge ask for any novice to step up to Champion Hurdle class and Melon would be twice the horse of Black Op.

Buveur D''Air is a bit special and knocking on the door of a 3rd win and no signs of stopping.

You are correct they never let Samcro's form down but they showed it for what it is and it's not Champion Hurdle form.

I backed Black Op the other day and was wishing I hadn't until he eventually got going.

Black Pp would be tailed off and then some in any Champion Hurdle you care to mention and Next Destination who scraped home yesterday wouldn't fair much better.

A 2 1/2 length defeat of Black Op doesn't even come close but that is on paper and he could be much better.

In reality the big question is can Samcro step up, travel as well in this class and still come up with that devastating turn of foot and that my friend is the hugest ask of all.

It must be of concern that there was no real talk of him being a Champion Hurdle horse next year.. there's been more talk of Gold Cups and the RSA so they can't be that confident he has enough speed at this trip for this.

We'll see but you know I am right..just not confident:)

Samcro looks to have too many gears to be an out and out stayer (unless he is truly special)

Drop back shouldn't inconvenience him and in terms of actual racing, Melon has had very few races too

Melon will be the ideal yardstick as to exactly how good Samcro is and where he goes next season.

Buveur D''Air is a bit special and knocking on the door of a 3rd win and no signs of stopping.

I am not convinced that BDA is 'a bit special' myself. I just think he is very good, but has dominated a division which is weak.

What's happened to Laurina ?

Given Willie is throwing everything at the trainers title she must have had a setback as she's not declared to run in anything. I haven't seen any news of that though.

I backed Barry in the last 2 races to be in the first 5 at evens a piece so I'm happy but just how many times is Willie Mullins going to win with outsiders?...he'd put Aiden to shame on his worst day..anyone backing his most fancied horses must be pulling their hair out:) Still can't handle the camera work..bloody awful.....how come they can spot isis from the moon but the Irish don't have a camera strong enough to zoom in a bit closer on the far side?? I could do better with an I-phone...ignore me just passing the time until the next race lol

Last edited:
Well that is one NOT FAV I definitely don't grudge him.........greatest training feat since the return of Sprinter Sacre...magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea why young Joseph decided to miss todays bumper with his future stable star Dlauro but he's entered on Sat in the Pro Am...can't wait to see this horse as he is said to be a bit special

Last edited:
Indeed; never a man to put all his eggs in one basket again.
i remember the morning at Cheltenham Noel Meade got the news Road To Riches was Ryanair bound rather than Gold Cup; he was in totally dejected and being consoled by WPM.
I imagine that was the day Willie confirmed to himself he would not answer to anyone except himself.
Some performance all around these past few days, delighted for Faugheen and Ricci, believe it or not.

Quick note on Footpad too - he can do no wrong

Yesterday looking at him, i think he could stay a decent trip

Given that his connections are British based, wonder if they will consider the KG

Him around Kempton would be some fun

Paul Townsend must have been thinking "Don't stop... Keep going" such is the regard they have for the x Champion Hurdler and no1 stable star.

Willie once said he could jump a fence and get 3 miles..........where to next year?

The bookies are quoting him at 6/1 for the stayers and that's despite the fact Willie says he's going chasing

No price for any of the novice chases.......anyone know differently?

Faugheen won a 3-mile Point, but the chances of him going novice chasing at 10yo are less than zero - regardless of whatever Mullins said after the race.

Last edited:
Back