Punchestown Friday

Steve T

Journeyman
Bit ahead of myself here as I realise there's no Thursday discussion yet, but noticed that a few bookies have priced up NRNB for the Champion Hurdle on Friday.

Couple of the runners declared for the World Hurdle tomorrow so field may shrink from the current entry of 13 by post time.

Will Punjabi follow up?

Is Quevega going to dazzle again after her run at Cheltenham? Someone thinks so, asking for £200 at 3.65 in the Betfair antepost market when you can get 3/1 NRNB with the bookies. Downside to this if you're thinking of a quick arb before the market's suspended tomorrow will be if one of the market leaders comes out and you're hit with a big R4 at the bookies and not in the Betfair Ante-post market.

Solwhit also has a few hundred queued up to back him at less than the 7/2 with the bookies, same drawback with possible R4 though.

Should be a good race, Quevega for me...

Just looked at tomorrow's card and with the ground in its current state and rain expected, Mikael D'Haguenet has to be a penalty kick.?

I can't seem to get around the Champion. Solwhit, Quevega and Punjabi all have serious credentials, but i'm thinking the value might be with Muirhead. Granted if all horses run to their mark he has a nice bit to find.

But Punjabi had such a tough battle at Chelt it's very possible the horse won't run to its mark. I can't think of any reason why either of the other two won't run to their mark but it's always possible. I can't see any of the others counting.

Firmly in the Quevega camp here - any more rain would suit her too though she has a turn of foot that IMHO none of her rivals today have so a dawdle and a sprint will do nicely too :)

Almsot 4/1 third favourite on the exchanges for the current Champion Hurdler and last years winner :confused:
It's a no bet race for me but at those odds I'd rather stick with the tried and tested than be chancing the hype.

I take your point, Duke.

The going is the issue, though. The going descriptions for all of Punjabi's 11 wins to date have included the word 'good'. How will he cope today?

I have a hunch Cousin Vinny will turn over Mikael D today. Mikael has had a long hard season and think he had a tough race at Cheltenham. Could see him find this one race too many today.

I have a hunch Cousin Vinny will turn over Mikael D today. Mikael has had a long hard season and think he had a tough race at Cheltenham. Could see him find this one race too many today.

Well supported to do so, the standout 9/2 about Cv long since gone, a best priced 10/3 with Hills now, generally an 11/4 or 3/1 shot.

I'm very confused as to how Quevega is 7/4? I've rarely seen better 7/4 shots to lay. Solwhit and Punjabi should be clear first and second favourites.

You should watch it Rory - held up in rear (about 25 lengths behind the leaders), must have gone 10 wider than anything else around every bend and won by 10+ lengths easily, was left clear at the last mind.

Quite annoyed Martin, as I went through the race last night and narrowed it down to five including the winner; didn't expect an SP of 180 though! It was a shocking race in behind I have to say, so not sure that the winner has a big future. Would love it if he could carry those famous Kennelly colours to big race success.

Well done to you Rory for managing to find that - I didn't look at the race properly but "PP" in bold doesn't bode too well. SP with the books of 50/1 and considered backing him at a big price - could have called him the winner some way out in fairness. Poor race but probably a future in similar types of hunter chases and open points.

Tranquil Sea must be of considerable interest in the next; at his he is absolutely thrown in off a mark of 135. Ran a strange sort of race in the Jewson without showing enough for me to get involved today, especially given the tacky ground.

Just been looking at this Rabobank Champion Hurdle again. I fancy Solwhit to improve again and pip Quevega, but if any of the front few underperform I can't help thinking Won In The Dark is a massive E/W price at 40/1. Ok he was a long way behind at Cheltenham in the Champion Hurdle, but forgiving him that, he wasn't that far behind Sublimity at Leopardstown in December. He'd obviously still have to improve a lot on that performance, but if one or two of the front few run below par he could stay on into a place.

Obviously it's tilting at windmills slightly, lots of ifs and buts, but at the price i'm willing to take a small chance. 65/1 on Betfair.

Awesome finish and great battling qualities shown by Punjabi and Solwhit. The latter probably the real deal and no genuine excuses for Q today :(

am i right about russel was unable to use the wip due to punjabi hanging over to him and solwhit was right agaisnt the rail? and he still battled to win.

It was a great race, on a day of exciting racing at Punchestown

I was on the winner but didn't do the FCT as I thought Punjabi might have had too hard a race last time. A great effort from him on ground he would not have liked, and great to know both are the real deal. Wish I'd laid Quevega too...

If Nina hadn't been pipped I'd have won 5 out of 5 I bet in - got 3 wins and a place-only. Ruby's ride on Ballytrim was Ride of the Week for me - I could have kissed him! That Mullins/Walsh combo is just awesome, unstoppable. It's fantastic how Mullins has kept them sweet right through the season.

Last edited:
Back