Punchestown Today

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Don't think it matters what Sizing Europe runs in at Chelt. Nothing he's done suggests he'll be in the first 3 of either the Champion Chase, Ryanair or Gold Cup.

I agree, he has to step up considerably on this year's form. I have had a complete sea change in opinion on the horse's target - I think they should definitely go for the Gold Cup provided the ground is decent.

Don't think it matters what Sizing Europe runs in at Chelt. Nothing he's done suggests he'll be in the first 3 of either the Champion Chase, Ryanair or Gold Cup.

I don't think Sizing Europe can be entirely ruled-out of the Ryanair, DJ. Whilst he's clearly short of what's required at 2m, and (I think) a doubtful stayer in the Gold Cup, he jumped well today (as good as I've seen him actually), and today's form is pretty handy against two better-than-useful, in-form opponents.

The intermediate trip is probably his optimum at this stage, he has very good track form, and is generally seeing out his races much better these days.

There's quite a lot of hoopla about Somersby - which can largely be justified - but I can't agree with sentiments which suggest he only has to turn up to collect (not that you've said this). Take Somersby out of the Ryanair, and Sizing Europe would basically face a field composed largely of very good handicappers, and he is surely better class than that.

I give him a decent shout in the race.

Fair point. Tempted to go back and edit my post, delete reference to Ryanair then accuse you of putting words in my mouth.

After his first several jumps, I was amazed at how well GOLDEN SILVER retrieved the skills and speed to do it today. I thought he looked listless and careless, but by heck, he put in a stunning last-straight performance. Is he usually this dilatory about the way he goes early on?

Last edited:
Golden Silver has run up to his mark today judged by his proximity to SE.....SE rated 160 beaten 7.5len makes GS a 166..Changing Course rated 119 receiving 8lb beaten 36.5 lengths again points to about a 166 for the winner

Big Zeb has run below par today which many will hold against him..when in fact he needs a good break bewteen his races..which he will get now for the big race

pity i think WF will win because BZ will be a bigger price at Chelts now due to today's run...which was a run that was expected when looking at his form closely

Let's hear no excuses for Zeb

:lol:

Grey will be able to support this, but Raise The Beat went for a gallop with Big Zeb the week before last on the Curragh. They hoped to do some decent work but the Vic was still partially frozen so they didn't do much. That was his last away gallop. I wonder was he short a gallop. Only thought of it in the car on the way home. Also, ground was horrible there today. This freezing ground just becomes tacky.

For anyone who backed Byerly Bear today, he was friendless on the track. I saw the owner of Earlson Grey back him without the stable companion so they must thing a bit of him.

Yeah I was a player first thing this morning. They are on the record as saying he wants better ground so today would not have been ideal.

I wouldn't be throwing in the towel yet David.As a festival winner I could see him seriously raising his game in March.He does put in the odd slow jump.

I was at Punchestown earlier...even Willie admitted that the running of the race was ideal for Golden. Townend rode a great race. De Bromhead pacemaker did his job. Big Zeb ran his race to beat Sizing. Idled in front, GS pinged the last..short run in..good enough. Its actually embarassing that so many major Irish trial meetings are run off inside track. So, so small time....that said, Big Zeb 10/3 to win Champ Chase. I really think thats a great price. His run today no better/worse than MM all out to beat Somersby.

Back