Punchestown Tuesday

Disappoint 543 couldnt show a bit more against a horse like Salford City. But the winner did it well, contentions must be very frustrated with Cork Allstar.

Convincing enough for my pocket. A typical end of season affair, showing the folly of getting too stuck in on horses who have shown a lot earlier in the season.

By my reckoning, every horse in the race (bar Natal) ran below their best form.

Super performance from Air Force One ~ Noel Fehily really is an outstanding jockey (not simply based on that ride of course); he made that look really easy.

Originally posted by Melendez@Apr 22 2008, 08:41 AM
I'm sure someone will know the answer to this.

Given that the Bumper is worth as much as the Cheltenham bumper, how come so few horses have even a prep run for the race?
"* The Goffs Land Rover Bumper of €75,000 – Race Closed

An INH Flat Race for 4 and 5 year olds only that have not won a race other than one, two or three INH or NH flat races and had been catalogued in the Goffs Land Rover National Hunt sale of June 12th 2007. Weights 4-y-0 10st 11lb; 5-y0 11st 7lb; Mares allowed 5lb Penalties; Wnr of a race 4lb extra, of 2 races 7lb extra of three races 10lb extra."

I think its probably because of the penalty system (which you dont get in the Grade 1 events) and the fact that the claimers can use their full claim - so the 4 year old winner yesterday carried a feather weight. If he had gone to the race with 2 victories to his name he would have been burdened with the "killer" 7lb penalty which seems to anchor so many horses who try and defy it on a daily basis in bumpers.

I suspect that because the entries are restricted to horses purchased at the Goffs Sale, connections target this race because of the prize money if they think they have a half decent animal on their hands. Therefore it is important to avoid carrying any penalties if at all possible, and if the trainer is happy he can get the horse to peak fitness at home - which W P Mullins rarely has a problem doing!

Having been there and had a good day, it's fair to say that the above comments re: 543 are pretty much correct. Horse patently needs a trip. All the same, I think Jered is a serious improver and will do alright next year.

Air Force One very taking winner though, while I concur that they finished too bunched in the champion chase for it to be a good race.

Pretty much held onto it. Had a few each way quid on Norther Bay after you left but had a larger bet on Total Victory which went nowhere. Got a tip for the bumper which ran nowhere but overall ended up out on top and showed a bit of restraint

Until Naas, when restraint was limited.....

Roll on Friday

I just had Got Attitude at 32/1 on BF. Heady days. I'll be there again on Friday - txt and I'll buy you that beer. The car will be in Dublin that day.

Anybody else that will be there on Friday make yourselves known.

I was there yesterday.While I enjoyed the day it was a reminder that the only way to make a profit from racing is at home(alone) with the 2 racing channels and an internet connection.I can behave like a mug punter on a racecourse and yesterday was one of those days.
A nice steak and a couple of pints in the Lord Bagenal sorted me out.

Back