Punchestown Wednesday

Guest_

At the Start
Guinness Gold Cup:

Think Notre Pere is a cracking price....the horse is going to be fresh, going to relish this trip and ground and is likely to bounce out and really test the stamina of Imperial Commander.

War Of Attrition - cannot be fancied based on his problems and the ground. Albertas Run -ground worries and has had a long season.
Roll Along - ground worries and weither he is good enough.
Air Force One - possibilities.
Schindlers Hunt - trip and ground worries
Snowy Morning - hard to win with this season.

I backed Notre Pere a few days ago when I saw the forecast. At 7/2 I think he is still value. He had a bad preparation when runner up to Neptune Collonges at Leopardstown and slight improvement on that should be enough to win this. Rained again for another 20-30minutes there and more is forecast.

Air Force One makes a fair bit of appeal here, but Notre Pere is a sound shout for reasons offered

Really sweet on The Midnight Club in the 3m novice hurdle today. It looks an interesting race on the whole with a few unexposed, progressive types in opposition (particularly Caim Hill, Palace Marano and Sam Adams) but the form of his Fairyhouse victory (beating Clan Tara a couple of lengths) and Cheltenham third stand out in the context of this race.

What I particularly like about him is that, despite being a thorough stayer, he's not short of pace by any means, which will surely stand him in good stead today. He travelled like a dream at Cheltenham, but just looked to be caught out by the combination of faster ground than is probably ideal and the fact that the race turned into something of a sprint.

At 2/1 or bigger, I make him just about my nap of the week.

I think Caim Hill will give him a race.

My bet of the day is Keki Buku in the 2m4f hurdle. He'll like the trip, the cut and is worth a bet at 15/2. I thought this fellow had a big handicap in him when I saw him at Cheltenham in the autumn, and conditions look ideal for him today.

Imperial Commander is sent here in preference to Aintree as they are still hoping he gets the trip. The King George run can be forgotten. The ground will not worry him. But agree, Pere looks hard to beat with his conditions too.

I am probably going mad but might give Gungadu a squeak in the 6.05, or maybe Roll Along.

I like Jayo is the 7.15, but no price there.

I've had a couple of each way bets on Lady Steppes and Glenview Leader in the opener - think the break will do LS the world of good and trainer should have her spot on whilst Glenview Leader looks to have a solid chance on the book.

Gungadu is a tricky one Isinglass - I was his biggest fan back when he was novice hurdling/chasing but he seems to have gone right off the boil since is RP Chase win - blinkers might help but he's place chances at best IMHO.

Horse needs 4 miles...couldnt keep up with them. It is not as if he was sitting pretty turning in, he was rowwing away.

Not sure. He wouldn't settle early on at all but when he was asked to pick up he was well on top at the end. Would have certainly preferred a stronger gallop.

Really like this horse and think he will make a serious staying chaser.

Thought they didnt go any pace for him, he made a bit of a mistake 3 or 2 out i think and that caught him a bit, was happy enough that he had a chance coming to the last, and delighted 100 yards out!!

Possibly just a case of him passing lots of exhausted horses, but a third Grade 1 placing in a row for Schindler's Hunt too.

Great performance from the winner. I backed Schindler's Hunt ew and I am not suggesting it was a bad ride from P. Flood or that he could have mixed it with the winner up front and won, but he did seem to be an awfully long way off the pace for most of the race.
I know he was a doubtful stayer and the ride reflects that but I like to see horses ridden as if they get the trip in these circumstances and if they don't fair enough.

Like I say I am not slagging P. Flood or connections and I am only an armchair punter and sometime race-goer who has never sat on a horse. I just wondered what others thought!

I think you have a point, but on the other hand look how all those who were up with the pace fared (bar the winner, obviously). That kind of ride may equally have been the only way you got your e/w return.

That's true Gareth, connections maybe took the view it was the way to get the best placing possible and the way the others tired after being up with the pace exgagerated his finishing so well.

I am happy enough with my two bob place money!

Back