Qipco Champions Day - Was it a Success

like the idea of a group status handicap but not a boring sprint maybe a mile or 10f

thought quite a good card and a succesful day i would make the apprentice race the 1st race at 13.15 then add a group status handicap at the end

and the idea to upgrade the other races is needed as well

it shouldnt be to hard to change the rules before next years meeting its not like its going to clash as the other eusropean countries as far as i am aware dont have group status handicaps

Handicaps should definitely not be G1s. Those racing should be the domain of the top horses running on a level or WFA pegging. You'll end up like the Melbourne Cup where some plodder gets in on a low weight and beats a genuine top quality horse and is never heard from again.

A plodder beating a genuine top quality horse would never happen in regular G1 races, would it?

I didn't see one genuine Group 1 horse in any of those races, Haafhd only being one as a 3yo.

Handicaps should definitely not be G1s. Those racing should be the domain of the top horses running on a level or WFA pegging.

I agree, but I didn't advocate this. I can't see anything wrong in making some Handicaps Group 3's, try and improve the quality. Check out this renewal of the International:

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/re...lts_top_tabs=re_&results_bottom_tabs=ANALYSIS

Top weight running off 121.

Last edited:
Back