Race card collectors

krizon

At the Start
I'm having a chuck-out, so if anyone would like Goodwood's 28th July card featuring the Group 2's King George Stakes and Goodwood Cup, let me know, and off it goes to you.

I love collecting my racecards but I don't see the point of buying racecards you haven't actually been too.

When I show my grandkids some of the races I went to, I hope they'll appreciate the love I have for the sport and want to follow in my footsteps.

I hope they do, too, but I wouldn't bank on it. Someone told me a few years back of a relative who had died. His shed was full of racing stuff he'd collected over the years. I had visions of newspapers with Golden Miller and Prince Regent in. They'd burned the lot. I could've wept.

Well, Bruce, I also have a Goodwood card for 10 September which, while not particularly interesting in itself, does carry the card inside it for the St Leger, which would provide anyone not able to visit a meeting on that day with a little memento. The cards for the better-quality meetings also provide interesting performance notes so that you can look back over a horse you're following and see how he's progressing, etc. Plus it's a memento of the silks, jockey and trainer profiles and stats and even little snippets of facts, such as, did you know that a future Prime Minister won the Goodwood Cup in 1849 when the brown filly CANEZOU carried the colours of Lord Stanley to beat CHANTICLEER by a length? See, you wouldn't know that if you hadn't got the card!

Back