Racehorse Doc BBC4 Thurs

Aldaniti

At the Start
Thursday 9pm BBC4

Featured trainer is Paul Nolan

What might it be like to be a horse? Not just any horse, but a top-end racehorse in Ireland? This is the question Race Horses explores, following three promising, charismatic horses over the course of one rather difficult racing year, bringing us into their world and revealing their distinct individual characters.

Now, now, even I can understand Paul Nolan... :D

Oh, isn't that sweet? You can imagine it:

"Gosh, there's a camera crew out there, Seamus."

(Yawn... ) "Mmmff?" (Loud sound of chomping, giant fart.) "Wuzzat? Sumtin' to chew, y'say? Oi've got 'nuff here in me net, if youse wants to get yerself some more."

(Loud bang of stable door.) "Yo, yo, yo, crew! Waaassup? Hey, whey-hey - look at the van! Shaymee - didja see it? Oh, yeah, over here, guys! Over heeere! Check this maaane! Check my taaaaiill... yeahhh, oh yeaahh, class, right? Class!"

Yes, three lovely horses, three very different characters.

I bet the Americans have a problem understanding praise for someone who's good at hurling!

Grey - thank you, sor, I'll look into it, so I will.

novel way of backing a horse!

1, Put horse in stable with low roof

2, Put a saddle on its back

3, Slap the saddle hard

4, The horse will then start rearing up hitting its head on the stable roof!!!!!!

Paul Nolan: BBC 4 TV tonight

9.00pm Storyville: Race Horses
Here's part of the description:
If you're convinced racing fans are mad to assign human characteristics to horses, you won't get through 10 minutes of this. It follows a year in the life of 3 nags [sic] under the tutelage of Irish trainer Paul Nolan: Ardalan (he's small but curious), Cuan Na Grai (he's too alert for his own good) and Joncol (he's a gentle giant with bad sinuses.) ......

I bet the Americans have a problem understanding praise for someone who's good at hurling!
The captain of my local team actually died while playing and his gravestone carries the epitaph "you hurled like a man". This might seem bizarre (or god forbid, hilarious) by some, but it's very dignified in Cushendall.

Far from it, Rory. What I have seen of hurling I loved, fast and furious. Brilliant sport.

Unfortunately, the only hurling that we will see next week will be the English version, where they see who can bring back the beer fastest and furthest.

I thought this was excellent. And a very accurate and entertaining portrayal of life in a racing yard. The Travelling Head lad was a great character with the way he chatted away with the horses and interesting to see how hands on Nolan himself was. Very well worth watching IMO.

What accent did Paul Nolan have, anyone? I worked with a chap with the same, not only the accent but the way he came back sharply w. questions, too ...

I thought this was excellent. And a very accurate and entertaining portrayal of life in a racing yard. The Travelling Head lad was a great character with the way he chatted away with the horses and interesting to see how hands on Nolan himself was. Very well worth watching IMO.

Couldn't agree more, loved the travelling head lad. Really interesting programme only realised it was on about five minutes before it started and really glad I caught it.

Really enjoyed it, very interesting and realistic I thought. Great to see Joncol, especially as he's now really progressed into a very decent horse. Youghurt / Vicks..gas:D

and don't forget the honey and garlic ;)

Lovely lovely programme, thought the head lad was great, and no inane commentary and some well observed photography.

Back