Racing On Saturday

Originally posted by Warbler+Dec 15 2007, 12:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warbler @ Dec 15 2007, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Dec 15 2007, 12:47 PM
Disappointing that the Triumph Hurdle fav couldnt shrug off the eventual winner. How come AP didnt ride him?
Was he bought after the declarations? [/b][/quote]
Prob a condition of the sale was that he stays in the yard - and AK chooses his own jockeys, end of.
He and Choc are practically married, AK would not jock him off on an owners say so, retainer or not. I'll be surprised if AP gets the ride, unless the horse moves.

I think he was only bought yesterday though, so we shall see nto!

I'd be surprised....unless Alan King, or someone in the yard was the previous owner?

If JP owns the horse, he decides first and foremost who trains it, yet alone who he'd prefer to ride it if he happens to pay a certain jockey a retainer surely? If a previous owner was daft to jeopardise a sale by trying to insist that a horse which he would no longer own, stayed with its previous yard, then it seems a strange carry on to me? JP's not averse to allowing horses he buys to stay with their current yard and any arrangement would be purely between trainer and owner in this case I'd have thought? If King wants to try and play hard ball, McManus just moves his horse. I'm not sure Alan holds the cards, and in any case, would he be so stupid as to try and alienate one of the most influential owners around? If he's going to lay down a challenge to Nicholls, he can ill-afford to pess off the likes of JP McManus, and I'm sure Robert Thornton would be the first understand

You'd think if AK tried to pick his own jockeys for Franchoek then JP would just take him elsewhere - he has enough trainers with the likes of O'Neill, Powell etc. there are a number of up and coming young trainers like Longsdon who I'm sure could do with a very nice horse like Franchoek also.

Alan very firmly believes in the merits of having stable jockeys who ride the horses and school them every day at home, ie know them inside out, and all his owners are expected to understand and accept that. If JP has any sense he will let AK get on with it. AK hardly needs any more owners anyway - the yard is full, he's got over 200 there this season apparently :what:

AK may be young but he has a steely determination and a great belief in himself, he won't be pushed around. But today's arrangement may just have been a case of final decs, will be interesting to see. I don't remember him ever using AP, has he?

In the first case McManus is pretty hands off so far as I can establish, sure he takes a keen interest, but that's a world away from interfering. Indeed, to no small extent investment companies like Cubic Expressions have made their money precisely through backing their judgement regarding other people's ability, and then letting them get on with it.

JP has horses with numerous different yards, always has done, and in that respect his patronage is probably very welcome as he distributes his wealth around more equably than most of the big money owners. King might very well have 200 owners etc, but not many will have the purchasing power of McManus, nor the inclination to speculate with it. I'd be pretty confident that AK has worked out that success with Francheok might equal more quality horses.

He can have his beliefs etc and ultimately it's up to his owner to decide whether he shares them. I personally feel that JP will let him get on with it, but equally King would be pretty stupid not to bend the odd principal here and there in the face of such an influential owner, and the prospect of striking up a potentially fruitful working relationship over which of two very good jockeys he prefers to use.

McCoy rode EXOTIC DANCER in this years Gold Cup when L'Ami was also in the race ridden by Spick Missgerald.

Originally posted by Warbler@Dec 16 2007, 04:12 AM
In the first case McManus is pretty hands off so far as I can establish, sure he takes a keen interest, but that's a world away from interfering.
There's nothing worse than those meddling, interfering owners, is there?

It's the ones that ride them out every day that are the worst.......

:D

Yes I saw that in today's RP, DJ, an interesting development
I'm quite surprised but then racing is a world of real-politik :rolleyes: and as we all agree AK is no fool!

No it's wasn't Gal; if you've ever talked to AK at any length or listened to him talking about how he runs his operation, you'd understand how reluctant he would be to have other jocks foisted on him - tho I suppose AP would be better than most

It would not have been Alan Kings decision though Headstrong. AP has a contract (which I presume is legally binding) to ride all of McManus's horses. Noel Meade has to jock off Paul Carberry if AP wants to ride a JP horse of his. Thats why its a no brainer.

As I said originally King never had a card to play really, unless of course he wanted to risk losing the horse, which JP could do at anythime. He'd have been pretty stupid to cut off his nose etc by making a stance over an issue that could have had much wider ramifications for him if it went badly wrong, with one the games biggest and most benevolent owners. The pragmatic decison was always going to be one that blind eyed his own principles, and to work positively instead along the owners agenda.

There's such a thing as bloodimindedness and pragmatic compromise. In this King has elected to acquiesce with common sense rather than making himself look stupid by trying to hold out on a point of principle in which he really held no sway

Back