Racing Post Photos - suggestions, please

gus

Journeyman
I'm thinking of buying a few photos off the Racing Post site for framing and putting up in my office at work. On my list at present are a side-on shot of King's Best winning the Guineas at Newmarket, a shot of the late Pride Of Dulcote jumping the open ditch at Newbury and one showing Sea The Stars beating Rip Van Winkle in the Eclipse taken from slightly in front and to the side of the pair.

I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't many in the "posed" category that the Timeform Annuals carry but, that aside, does anyone have any particular favourites they'd suggest from the site? There are thousands to trawl through and a few pointers wouldn't go amiss.

Any specific horses you would like? I may be able to help.

I'm not particularly interested in any one horse (although I'd quite like a posed side-on shot of Frankel at Warren Place). For example, I've no particular affinity for Pride Of Dulcote - I just think that shot of him jumping that fence is spectacular and epitomises steeplechasing. Similarly, the photos of King's Best and Sea The Stars that I've mentioned show top-class Flat horses in action on fast ground in the sunshine - for me, what flat racing is all about.

I have one of Kauto. It's from Cheltenham so naturally he's in the background behind Denman.
3160064Cheltenham13Mar09KautoStarwi.jpg

can't be this one then :whistle:

No need to have Denman. He was just a glorified handicapper who was fortunate to win a Gold Cup when Kauto Star was below par. :whistle:

;) Beautiful horse, true steeplechaser and heavyweight champion among champions... after overcoming a heart condition in his 2008/09 season, he returned to Newbury in 2009, after missing the race in 2008. That day he won off a mark of 174, putting his opponents to the sword in a brutal display of power and resilience. A field of seasoned chasers fell away or pulled up due to the sheer ferocity of his performance, stumbling around like newborn giraffes in his wake. He had been through the wringer and had beaten his opposition senseless. Walsh was dumbfounded.

I've a very similar picture on my study wall.

Last edited:
;) Beautiful horse, true steeplechaser and heavyweight champion among champions... after overcoming a heart condition in his 2008/09 season, he returned to Newbury in 2009, after missing the race in 2008. That day he won off a mark of 174, putting his opponents to the sword in a brutal display of power and resilience. A field of seasoned chasers fell away or pulled up due to the sheer ferocity of his performance, stumbling around like newborn giraffes in his wake. He had been through the wringer and had beaten his opposition senseless. Walsh was dumbfounded.

I've a very similar picture on my study wall.

With prose like that you ought to write to the Racing Post more often!

My own picture of Denman was taken and is beautifully framed by Tracey Roberts (TurfPix). I can recommend her.

Agree with many others Denman joins the elite list including Strong Flow, Ever Blessed, Kings Road, Trabolgan and Be My Royal as Hennessy Gold Cup winners.

Top class in his grade and one of the best handicappers that I've seen in my lifetime :)

Martin

At that time I was spread betting quite a bit and almost got cleaned out on a couple of very rash cricket trades. That horse saved my bacon.

Back