Racing Post Trophy

Those sort of stats are don't count once you have seen the race. At the start of September it's fair enough to say Racing Post winners don't win Guineas. Once the race has been run it becomes irrelevant. It was won by a classy, pacey, turn-of-foot performance, as opposed to classic dour middle distance staying performances as have normally been the case in recentish times. I'm sure (well I guess) El Gran Señor won a race that few or no guineas winners have won.

the stat is based on logic though..2yo mile winners on a long straight like Donny make stouter 2yo's than is required for the speedier guineas..generally

i had same argument on here last year..said SNA wouldn't win it..met with same argument..ie but SNA has more speed than average RPT winner etc..he didn't ..he just had more speed than those in that RPT..compared to his age group he had more stamina

El Gran Senor is one heck of an exceptional horse to compare to..plus he won over 6f 7f & 7f as a 2yo..not a mile race run at a galloping straight like Donny.

if Camelot is 20/1..then maybe thats a fair price for a crack at the guineas..but anything less is poor value imo as he will surely get beat in most guineas run over the last 30 years

A very impressive performance. His owners must be itching to get him retired to stud ASAP. It's a shame they have to suffer the inconvenience of a 3yo campaign.

A very impressive performance. His owners must be itching to get him retired to stud ASAP. It's a shame they have to suffer the inconvenience of a 3yo campaign.

:lol:

with that in mind..i wouldn't want to be losing any race either as a 3yo unecessarily..so why bother with mile races when his breeding is stacked with stamina?

If they feel like gambling they will go for the Guineas. It is a very average bunch of colts in the UK this year. I just thought after they messed up St Nicholas Abbey they would play Camelot straight and go the obvious Ballysax, Derrinstown and Derby route.

The English trained 2yo crop seems to be very poor, Irish trained 1 & 2 in the Dewhurst and Racing Post Trophy, 1 & 3 in the Middle Park and 1-2-3 in the Royal Lodge. Fencing looks the pick of the English colts.

Last edited:
I think they'll play it safe with this one. A run in the Derrinstown before the Derby. Maybe one in the Ballysax first if they think he needs it.

After Nephrite's win yesterday, there is no way that I can see Camelot going for the Guineas. Power,Nephrite and possibly Daddy Long Legs will be Ballydoyle's guineas horses.

Back