Racing UK Subscription

• Thread starter Thread starter ItalianStallion
  • Start date Start date
I

ItalianStallion

Morning,

It's being touted around that the figure for the new subscription is around £19.99 a month, now you seriously have got to be kidding me. Would like to see the views from people who thought £20 for the Racing Post was bad because this is shocking.

Wasn't it always around that figure, IS?

Wouldn't know the individual rate as I get mine through a Virgin Media package, but always thought it was around that rate.

It was originally but the setanta package that included RUK was less (£14.99 I think).

Now Sky subscribers are expected to pay £20 for RUK plus if they want to view ESPN's coverage of premiership footy they will need to fork out another tenner for that,so basically the price has doubled and you are getting less for that price.

not had any info from virgin yet but if its £20 i think ruk will have to go, it was that originally, but financial climate was better and setanta package gave you more for much less per month.

I really want this new ESPN for the football season and its fighting coverage but I begrudge having to pay out another tenner a month;

are you paying Arkwright?

£20 for RUK represents good value I think. Obviously it's not as good as previously but I've signed up and have no qualms about doing so.

Their target market is small and the industry they operate in is struggling yet I don't see how they value the business at £20 month?

Nope once it is switched off here its gone

If there is no min sub then I might have it switched on just before Cheltenham & with a bit of luck I can get coverage of Aintree within that same month but I don't know what the dates are for those meetings next year.

Edited to add Chelters starts on 16th March & Aintree finishes on 10th April

So thats my £20 budget spent!

Racing scrooge

Last edited:
Like DJ, I wouldn't begrude £20 a month for a RUK subscription; I'd rather it were less but in all fairness for those of us that will watch the racing - or need to - on a daily basis it works out perfectly reasonable.

As has been pointed out, for a long time after it was launched (in the pre-Setanta days) the subscription was £20/month and they weren't lacking in takers then. The trouble is that as the subscription was lowered to as little as £9.99 a month whilst Setanta were around, people now begrudge paying more money to subscribe.

I don't think you can subscribe for a month at a time Aldaniti - I'm pretty sure you have to enter into a yearly contract. Otherwise they'd be inundated with people wanting a month's viewing starting mid March.

I will continue to subscribe, even at £20 a month it still is value for money for what I need it for.

Alternatively those of you who subscribe to the RacingPost, you get a free live stream of RacingUK on there - so it kills two birds with one stone.

I gave up the subscription due to cost - as I tried to explain to the dozy bint on the phone, I am at work all day with no access to the net to watch the races and at the weekend I can watch C4 for free so how can charging me an extra £8 a month be "good value"?

As soon as I finished talking to her I logged onto Sky and upgraded to ESPN - he says he wont watch many matches but history says that if its on he will watch!

RUK should offer weekend packages so you can watch just at weekends for a small cost - say £2 for the two days - I am sure they would get plenty of part time punters paying for that.

I don't think you can subscribe for a month at a time Aldaniti - I'm pretty sure you have to enter into a yearly contract. Otherwise they'd be inundated with people wanting a month's viewing starting mid March.

According to the letter I've got, there is no annual contract - although I must admit I'm rather suprised. Be interesting to see if it stays that way.

FWIW if you are with Virgin and have xl tv espn is free
if you call and say you are thinking of leaving as you 'only really subscribed for racing uk as part of the setanta package' you are very likely to get some money knocked off your bill

Well, they knocked the RUK package down to £9.99 a month a year ago for me when I did that, dvds, but now that Setanta is no more, the cost is £20 or bust, or at least that's what I was assured a few days ago. Plus the cost of the XL itself, it's an expenditure I can live without.

What a day for it to happen as well - reduced to watching the Marois split-screen with a handicap chase from Southwell on ATR.

I've still got mine but there is a message on the screen saying that as of tomorrow RUK will be a premium channel at £20 per month, renew subscription now.

Ive got that too. Interesting that so many here arent going to bother. Im going to use the C4 coverage this week and see if if really miss RUK as much as i might once have thought.

If the take up is poor (and i suspect it will be for what is a price sensetive service) wouldnt suprise me to see the cost come down in the coming months

Back