Rambling and Gambling

Quixall Crossett

Amateur Rider
This was my thread on my previous forum and i thought that rather than hijack other threads on here when i dip in and out of them, it might be better if i put my thoughts, musings, ponderings, reflections, cogitations etc etc etc on here.

All welcome :)

Hexham hold their usual Derby Day meeting on Saturday and their card contains the first juvenile hurdle race of the season, the aptly named "Most Important 3 Year Old Race Today Juvenile Hurdle".

And its only £12 to get in if you book in advance or a tenner for us old gits.

And all the usual suspects are there.

Must admit I have a soft spot for Hexam having been there more times than I can count.

Memory stretches back to Harry Bell's Belcanto PA Charlton winning there.......

They also have a meeting every Cheltenham Gold Cup days and usually get a good turnout.

Must admit I have a soft spot for Hexam having been there more times than I can count.

Memory stretches back to Harry Bell's Belcanto PA Charlton winning there.......

They also have a meeting every Cheltenham Gold Cup days and usually get a good turnout.
Its a lovely place mate, especially if the weather is being kind. And good value for money. Many tracks would do well to follow their lead.

Its a lovely place mate, especially if the weather is being kind. And good value for money. Many tracks would do well to follow their lead.
Just as a comparison between admission, there is a vast difference between the value for money track at Hexham and the "Lets screw as much out of the punters as we can" attitude of Cartmel. Dont get me wrong, Cartmel is a lovely place and a lovely track and i have always enjoyed my visits there (except for one occasion about 30 years ago when the heavens opened just before the second and torrents of water were gushing all over the spectator area and we left after the third). But their admission charges have been astronomical for years and it has got to the point where i dont want to go there any more. I remember comparing admission at Ascot and Cartmel who were racing a day apart a couple of years ago. It was £20 to get into Ascot and £26 to get into Cartmel !!!
If you book tonight to go to Hexham on Saturday, it will cost you £12.
If you book tonight to go to Cartmel on Wednesday it will cost you £27.50.

:unsure:

Eyecatching run from Ciel De Neige there. Mr McLernon at his finest.

The day is coming.
Yup. 2m is too short for him now; it was all happening a bit quick today, wasn't it? On his Galway run last August, he's very well handicapped. 2m 4f and he'll be right there, I think, QC.

Yup. 2m is too short for him now; it was all happening a bit quick today, wasn't it? On his Galway run last August, he's very well handicapped. 2m 4f and he'll be right there, I think, QC.
I wouldnt disagree with that mate but just watch the race again. I have watched it five times now including just a couple of minutes ago and it is currently 5.35am.
The horse made a small mistake at the water jump 4 from home which cost him a length or two and a bit of momentum. He was then playing catch up but he is within a length at the last. Just watch his run from the last to the bend. If it wasnt for the mistake, or with a bit more effort, he could have found himself in front then. And then who knows................?

We both agree the day is coming. But we'll just keep that one to ourselves eh ? :LOL:

As an aside, i do love the Haslam stable because it was/is an easy one to suss. I know there are a few lads on here who were on my old forum and they know this story but for those who dont, i will repeat it. As they used to say in Allo Allo, i shall say this only once.
I was watching a horse of theirs called Countister, the ex Nicky Henderson mare. She had run at a couple of festivals and had reached a high of 141 but after a few poor efforts she was packed off to Haslams yard. So of course, plan A is to get the handicap mark down. So they set about doing that in their usual way and i was watching and waiting and trying to work out when "the day" was. I had it in my head that if they got it down to a mark of around 100 they would go for it then. So it was declared at Hexham on Derby Day 2021 and we drove up there. It was well punted that day and i got involved but she never looked like winning and eventually finished ninth. I put the "gamble" down to people like myself who thought the day had come and it wasnt the stable money. But i just knew that they were lining it up and i collared Richie McLernon on the way back to the unsaddling enclosure and asked him what happened. Was she feeling something ? Did she just run flat ? And his reply was "Thats as good as she is".
:LOL:
Thats when i knew she was going in soon.
I cant remember why i didnt back her at Uttoxeter next time but i know she drifted like a barge and i left her alone. But i piled into her at Sedgefield at a big price and she got caught close home and she as backed down to 4/1 that day. We were all on at much bigger so made a few quid but the next run she made no mistake and absolutely sluiced in at Kelso. And it was one of the very rare occasions when i backed one shorter than 8's. although she wasnt favourite when we all got on.

Apologies for the long drawn out reply. But remembering Richie's reply that day always brings a smile to my face.

Have a good day mate.

Last edited:
I wouldnt disagree with that mate but just watch the race again. I have watched it five times now including just a couple of minutes ago and it is currently 5.35am.
The horse made a small mistake at the water jump 4 from home which cost him a length or two and a bit of momentum. He was then playing catch up but he is within a length at the last. Just watch his run from the last to the bend. If it wasnt for the mistake, or with a bit more effort, he could have found himself in front then. And then who knows................?

We both agree the day is coming. But we'll just keep that one to ourselves eh ? :LOL:

As an aside, i do love the Haslam stable because it was/is an easy one to suss. I know there are a few lads on here who were on my old forum and they know this story but for those who dont, i will repeat it. As they used to say in Allo Allo, i shall say this only once.
I was watching a horse of theirs called Countister, the ex Nicky Henderson mare. She had run at a couple of festivals and had reached a high of 141 but after a few poor efforts she was packed off to Haslams yard. So of course, plan A is to get the handicap mark down. So they set about doing that in their usual way and i was watching and waiting and trying to work out when "the day" was. I had it in my head that if they got it down to a mark of around 100 they would go for it then. So it was declared at Hexham on Derby Day 2021 and we drove up there. It was well punted that day and i got involved but she never looked like winning and eventually finished ninth. I put the "gamble" down to people like myself who thought the day had come and it wasnt the stable money. But i just knew that they were lining it up and i collared Richie McLernon on the way back to the unsaddling enclosure and asked him what happened. Was she feeling something ? Did she just run flat ? And his reply was "Thats as good as she is".
:LOL:
Thats when i knew she was going in soon.
I cant remember why i didnt back her at Uttoxeter next time but i know she drifted like a barge and i left her alone. But i piled into her at Sedgefield at a big price and she got caught close home and she as backed down to 4/1 that day. We were all on at much bigger so made a few quid but the next run she made no mistake and absolutely sluiced in at Kelso. And it was one of the very rare occasions when i backed one shorter than 8's. although she wasnt favourite when we all got on.

Apologies for the long drawn out reply. But remembering Richie's reply that day always brings a smile to my face.

Have a good day mate.
There's the rub: as you say, he didn't lose that much ground and he was playing 'catch-up' to a degree but, for me, he had to be rousted along so furiously because he doesn't have the pace. By the last, he had no more, on account of that. Having said that, you'll notice that he was staying on a little towards the line. That suggests, to me, that 2m4f or more will suit him better.

There's the rub: as you say, he didn't lose that much ground and he was playing 'catch-up' to a degree but, for me, he had to be rousted along so furiously because he doesn't have the pace. By the last, he had no more, on account of that. Having said that, you'll notice that he was staying on a little towards the line. That suggests, to me, that 2m4f or more will suit him better.
I totally agree mate. Either 2m 4f or 2m 5f would be ideal. But what i would add is that Richie has a very unique style, apart from his bouncing up and down in the saddle, and sometimes his "rousting along" isnt necessarily "rousting along" :);).
He did nothing for a hundred yards on that bend and then went for it when they headed towards the intersection.

My missus just laughs when she sees him bouncing up and down and if you showed her a race with a dozen or so runners in it, she would pick McLernon out even before he started bouncing. ;)

Good luck today.

Time for a bit of torture ! For anyone who cares to get annoyed for a few minutes. And a bit of (financial) pain.

I've been talking to one of the lads on here about a horse tomorrow and i said i am not bothering. I also added that if it wins, so be it. It wont be the first time i have let one go, far from it. And it most definitely wont be the last. There have been so many in the past it would be impossible to remember them all. But a few stood out and one in particular. So i will give you my painful recollection and you can all feel free to share yours.

As some of you may have noticed, i spend a lot of time looking at horses with future races in mind. Looking for a potential plot and trying to work out where the horse is going next and when "the day" will be. And hopefully piling in that day and reaping the long awaited rewards. But sometimes it goes wrong. :(
This was my worst.
I had been watching a horse called Ryedale Racer who at the time had won four races and three of them were at Hexham. He had reached a high of 124 but hadnt won for 17 months and had dropped to a mark of 107. It was February and as most of you know, Hexham have their first meeting of their new season on the Thursday of Cheltenham. So i am watching the horse and convinced myself that Hexham in March was "the day". I had mentioned the horse on the old forum a month or so prior and told them that the day was coming. It was entered at Kelso in February and i thought that this would be a run to blow the cobwebs away and for it to show some sparkle in readiness for Hexham. I spoke with a couple of the old forum lads privately on the morning of the Kelso race and told them we needed to see a bit of life in the horse and then we could go all guns blazing when March and Hexham came around. At least one of the lads backed the horse that afternoon because he said he could not let it go at the price it was. I cant remember if the other lad did although i'm of the opinion he did.
And racetime came around and i watched it go to the front and said to myself at halfway that he is going really well still but he must fade. Something must come and do him..............................please

Result -
1- Ryedale Racer 80/1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only won by 8L.
I felt sick. Painful wasnt in it !!!

:oops:

Your turn. :)

Ouch. I have serious fomo these days, so tend towards backing several if I fancy them but the one that really hurts was idole first in the plate at Cheltenham, I had the race down to three horses and backed two of them.

Needless to say idole first was the one I discarded.

It still hurts.

Time for a bit of torture ! For anyone who cares to get annoyed for a few minutes. And a bit of (financial) pain.

I've been talking to one of the lads on here about a horse tomorrow and i said i am not bothering. I also added that if it wins, so be it. It wont be the first time i have let one go, far from it. And it most definitely wont be the last. There have been so many in the past it would be impossible to remember them all. But a few stood out and one in particular. So i will give you my painful recollection and you can all feel free to share yours.

As some of you may have noticed, i spend a lot of time looking at horses with future races in mind. Looking for a potential plot and trying to work out where the horse is going next and when "the day" will be. And hopefully piling in that day and reaping the long awaited rewards. But sometimes it goes wrong. :(
This was my worst.
I had been watching a horse called Ryedale Racer who at the time had won four races and three of them were at Hexham. He had reached a high of 124 but hadnt won for 17 months and had dropped to a mark of 107. It was February and as most of you know, Hexham have their first meeting of their new season on the Thursday of Cheltenham. So i am watching the horse and convinced myself that Hexham in March was "the day". I had mentioned the horse on the old forum a month or so prior and told them that the day was coming. It was entered at Kelso in February and i thought that this would be a run to blow the cobwebs away and for it to show some sparkle in readiness for Hexham. I spoke with a couple of the old forum lads privately on the morning of the Kelso race and told them we needed to see a bit of life in the horse and then we could go all guns blazing when March and Hexham came around. At least one of the lads backed the horse that afternoon because he said he could not let it go at the price it was. I cant remember if the other lad did although i'm of the opinion he did.
And racetime came around and i watched it go to the front and said to myself at halfway that he is going really well still but he must fade. Something must come and do him..............................please

Result -
1- Ryedale Racer 80/1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only won by 8L.
I felt sick. Painful wasnt in it !!!

:oops:

Your turn. :)
Now that is a sickener
My most painful moment came in the 2005 champion hurdle.
I had backed Harchibald at 33/1, 25/1 20/1 and all odds down to 7/1
I had been placing a £10 win bet each week for about 9 months prior to the race.
Go on youtube and watch the finish.
When i see it i still cant see how it lost.
It would have been my biggest win ever by some margin but wasnt to be.
Its 19 years ago and still troubles me.

Now that is a sickener
My most painful moment came in the 2005 champion hurdle.
I had backed Harchibald at 33/1, 25/1 20/1 and all odds down to 7/1
I had been placing a £10 win bet each week for about 9 months prior to the race.
Go on youtube and watch the finish.
When i see it i still cant see how it lost.
It would have been my biggest win ever by some margin but wasnt to be.
Its 19 years ago and still troubles me.
One of the most debated Champion Hurdles ever. In fact, one of the most debated races ever.

One of the most debated Champion Hurdles ever. In fact, one of the most debated races ever.
Paul Carberry received lots of criticism for that ride.
I personally dont know what he could have done differently.
Its all about opinions.
In December of that year he rode a double at Cheltenham when Sir Oj won the big handicap chase and Harchibald won the Bula hurdle.
I had a £20 double and won over £800
It lessened the pain from march of that year but theres still a feeling of what might have been.

Jockeys will always make mistakes when it comes to split second decisions and Carberry simply got it wrong IMO. Surely he must have knows Hardy Eustace would fight back the second challenged like he always did.

Some can have all day to work out the best way to go. I just had a fiver on Brian Hughes in the Hope Henry Brooke would fuck up which he is guilty of doing at times. The last person you want to get into a sprint with is Brian Hughes....4 out and 3 out Brooke is all over Hughes like a rash and in a matter of strides could go past and easily take a 4 or 5 length advantage....instead he takes a huge pull almost running into the back of Hughsie then sits there till Hughsie puts metal to the pedal steals 2 lengths and Brooke has used up all his petrol pulling the head off his...I believe he got a few beers after the race

Jockeys will always make mistakes when it comes to split second decisions and Carberry simply got it wrong IMO. Surely he must have knows Hardy Eustace would fight back the second challenged like he always did.

Some can have all day to work out the best way to go. I just had a fiver on Brian Hughes in the Hope Henry Brooke would fuck up which he is guilty of doing at times. The last person you want to get into a sprint with is Brian Hughes....4 out and 3 out Brooke is all over Hughes like a rash and in a matter of strides could go past and easily take a 4 or 5 length advantage....instead he takes a huge pull almost running into the back of Hughsie then sits there till Hughsie puts metal to the pedal steals 2 lengths and Brooke has used up all his petrol pulling the head off his...I believe he got a few beers after the race
And people are still debating it :)

Cartmel 19-20pm Ilikedwayyourthinkin 7/1 First time headgear.
Ran in class 1 races for Gavin Cromwell last year.
With Brad Haslam now.
This time last year, finished 4th in a Grade A race in Ireland.
Do you think today is the day ???

With Brad Haslam now.
Its a possibility.
Looks well handicapped on the best of its form.
Maybe the betting will give us a clue.

With Brad Haslam now.
I dont know if you remember but it was a horse i highlighted a while ago on the old forum. Again it is a case of trying to work out "the day".
Rated 139 at best and ran on this day last year off a mark of 134. Runs tonight off 111.
But the race has cut up really badly now and it may cut up even more.

I'll just watch.

A perhaps interesting observation...

The last horse I can remember pulling off the 'JP move to Haslam' trick was Didtheyleaveyououttoo last July in a race (at Cartmel) with a very similar profile/makeup. Fortunately, I'd been following Didthey for much of his career, so the early double figures (I think around 16s first thing) stood out like a sore thumb. Everything screamed out that day.

But Didthey had to fight very hard that day to nose City Derby ('came back' to form a few days ago, maybe a wind op helped, and carries a piece of paper here). CD is unbackable at the likely odds.

I'm thinking Ilikedway (in his prime) would have had an edge over Didthey (similarly, in his prime), and likely would trouble CD greatly if you took a hard lateral line (tenuous, I know). But has the wind op given CD a new lease of life?

Perhaps this just gives a little added interest to the context of the race, but if you take the view they think Iliked still has something, the signs are arguably there (though maybe misinterpretable) that he won't get many better opportunities. 7-1 is probably just about fair though, don't know if he's contracted since last night (but two of the three non-runners may have clouded that anyway, if that's the case).

A perhaps interesting observation...

The last horse I can remember pulling off the 'JP move to Haslam' trick was Didtheyleaveyououttoo last July in a race (at Cartmel) with a very similar profile/makeup. Fortunately, I'd been following Didthey for much of his career, so the early double figures (I think around 16s first thing) stood out like a sore thumb. Everything screamed out that day.

But Didthey had to fight very hard that day to nose City Derby ('came back' to form a few days ago, maybe a wind op helped, and carries a piece of paper here). CD is unbackable at the likely odds.

I'm thinking Ilikedway (in his prime) would have had an edge over Didthey (similarly, in his prime), and likely would trouble CD greatly if you took a hard lateral line (tenuous, I know). But has the wind op given CD a new lease of life?

Perhaps this just gives a little added interest to the context of the race, but if you take the view they think Iliked still has something, the signs are arguably there (though maybe misinterpretable) that he won't get many better opportunities. 7-1 is probably just about fair though, don't know if he's contracted since last night (but two of the three non-runners may have clouded that anyway, if that's the case).
I agree, he wont get many better opportunities and good luck if you get involved. I will certainly cheer it on for you but i have decided to sit it out and watch.

As for the JP - Haslam connection, the list of horses that have moved and done the business (eventually, after dropping way down the handicap) is a mile long.
Off the top of my head there is Dr Sanderson, Arthurs Quay, Aramax, Gameface, Countister, Marshalled, Thatbeatsbanagher, Horn Cape, Jerrysback, Roxboro Road, Brelan D'As etc etc.
All of the above and plenty more were campaigned initially to get their marks down and then......................:thumbsup:

One that didnt do the business was Canelo. And you can imagine my annoyance when after watching it and waiting and waiting and waiting some more, it still hadnt got its head in front. i read last week that it had moved to the yard of Thomas Fife and absolutely sluiced up in a point on Hexhams point course twelve days ago. And it runs in the last at Cartmel tonight against the aforementioned Jerrysback and another ex Haslam horse in Cash Again.

I live in Staffordshire and my local track is Uttoxeter.
Back in the 70s and 80s i had a contact in the Peter Bevan stable who would tip me the wink when one was ready.
A ploy of theirs was to send one to Bangor or worcester when a Uttoxeter meeting was on.
Most times when the money was on they collected as i did also.
Sadly Peter is no longer with us.
Does anyone remember him.
He was a kind man and very hard working and knowledgable.
I only met him the once but it had a lasting effect on me👍

Back