Rambling and Gambling

A perhaps interesting observation...

The last horse I can remember pulling off the 'JP move to Haslam' trick was Didtheyleaveyououttoo last July in a race (at Cartmel) with a very similar profile/makeup. Fortunately, I'd been following Didthey for much of his career, so the early double figures (I think around 16s first thing) stood out like a sore thumb. Everything screamed out that day.

But Didthey had to fight very hard that day to nose City Derby ('came back' to form a few days ago, maybe a wind op helped, and carries a piece of paper here). CD is unbackable at the likely odds.

I'm thinking Ilikedway (in his prime) would have had an edge over Didthey (similarly, in his prime), and likely would trouble CD greatly if you took a hard lateral line (tenuous, I know). But has the wind op given CD a new lease of life?

Perhaps this just gives a little added interest to the context of the race, but if you take the view they think Iliked still has something, the signs are arguably there (though maybe misinterpretable) that he won't get many better opportunities. 7-1 is probably just about fair though, don't know if he's contracted since last night (but two of the three non-runners may have clouded that anyway, if that's the case).
I'm definitely going senile in my old age. A mate has just text me and said i had missed loads of JP- Haslam horses off that earlier list including a few that we had some right good touches on. They include, Rock On Fruity, Scoop The Pot, Protek Des Flos, Laskadine. Melody Of Scotland and a few more that i have forgotten already.

I'll write them down next time. :giggle:

I'm definitely going senile in my old age. A mate has just text me and said i had missed loads of JP- Haslam horses off that earlier list including a few that we had some right good touches on. They include, Rock On Fruity, Scoop The Pot, Protek Des Flos, Laskadine. Melody Of Scotland and a few more that i have forgotten already.

I'll write them down next time. :giggle:
It comes to all of us eventually
I call them senior moments😂
My missus says i have selective memory syndrome😂

An absolute nonsense of a story on the front of the Rancid Post. It is trying to convince us that paying £7-50 for a pint of Guinness or lager or cider at the Cheltenham festival is not too bad when compared to "other major sporting events". (Dont ya just hate that term) !!!!
Well judging by the amount of anger, disgust, etc at the price, i think its fair to say that many people thought it was vastly overpriced. But this "Audience Editor" (????? anybody explain that one to me ?????) reckons that is fair when comparing it to "other major sporting events".
Well yes, the Festival is a major sporting event for us racing fans. But the point here is, you will pay that sort of price at most racetracks these days and you would struggle to find one that doesnt charge at least £6 a pint but usually more.
You will pay more than that at Ripon tomorrow. Would you call that meeting a "major sporting event" ?
You will pay a lot more at Doncaster on Friday. Would you call that meeting a "major sporting event" ?
You will pay far more at Windsor on Monday. Would you call that a "major sporting event" ?

If i didnt know any different (or do i) i would say that (in this election period) that this story is a party political broadcast on behalf of the Racecourse Association Party. :)

Perhaps our "Audience Editor" hasnt noticed that many hundreds of people abandoned Cheltenham this year to go abroad to watch it. And far more will do so next year.

Just a thought.

An absolute nonsense of a story on the front of the Rancid Post. It is trying to convince us that paying £7-50 for a pint of Guinness or lager or cider at the Cheltenham festival is not too bad when compared to "other major sporting events". (Dont ya just hate that term) !!!!
Well judging by the amount of anger, disgust, etc at the price, i think its fair to say that many people thought it was vastly overpriced. But this "Audience Editor" (????? anybody explain that one to me ?????) reckons that is fair when comparing it to "other major sporting events".
Well yes, the Festival is a major sporting event for us racing fans. But the point here is, you will pay that sort of price at most racetracks these days and you would struggle to find one that doesnt charge at least £6 a pint but usually more.
You will pay more than that at Ripon tomorrow. Would you call that meeting a "major sporting event" ?
You will pay a lot more at Doncaster on Friday. Would you call that meeting a "major sporting event" ?
You will pay far more at Windsor on Monday. Would you call that a "major sporting event" ?

If i didnt know any different (or do i) i would say that (in this election period) that this story is a party political broadcast on behalf of the Racecourse Association Party. :)

Perhaps our "Audience Editor" hasnt noticed that many hundreds of people abandoned Cheltenham this year to go abroad to watch it. And far more will do so next year.

Just a thought.
The attendances were down this year, but the powers that be choose to sweep it under the carpet and carry on regardless.
No doubt next year the prices will increase again.

An absolute rip off.
I know of a few people who now have a week in Spain watch the racing in bars and get to sit in the sun and enjoy a few beers at a fraction of the prices charged at Cheltenham.
On a slightly different note many of the Saturday racegoers I've seen are not interested in the racing.
They are happy to pay inflated prices for food and drink and are more interested in the bands /singers who appear after racing.
Each to their own.

The crowd looks quite sparse at Cartmel tonight. More so when you consider it is a freebie for the Racing TV members. But then again, it is £30 to get in.

And the poor souls HAVE to listen to Fitzgerald and his Sevenacres and Old Grammar and Woodside etc etc.
They havent got a mute button :LOL:

Cartmel 19-20pm Ilikedwayyourthinkin 7/1 First time headgear.
Ran in class 1 races for Gavin Cromwell last year.
With Brad Haslam now.
This time last year, finished 4th in a Grade A race in Ireland.
Do you think today is the day ???
Ran well finishing 3rd. Looked like he might win 2 out !!

I remember talking to Ian Davies about Murray Dodd a week or two ago. The young lad has just won again on Prince De Juilley in the first at Warwick and looks a very capable jock.

Good luck to him.

Back