Raven's Pass

Originally posted by Warbler@Sep 6 2007, 11:16 PM

The second concern I have about Raven's Pass involves those three letters in brackets after his name 'USA'.

I produced research a few months ago which showed that the strike rate of American bred horses drops markedly with age when they're racing against runners bred elsewhere. I am convinced this is because steroids are legal in America. I believe that the import of American bred horses should be stopped until the US authorities prohibit the use of steroids because it gives their two year olds and early three year olds a huge edge over those bred elsewhere. The relative performance of US bred horses indicate that they mature earlier than those bred elsewhere, and nobody is ever going to convince me this is due to anything other than steroids.

No research whatsover has led me to the conclusion that this is bollocks.

Racing & Football Outlook Septemner 4-10, 2007

time test___________________mark nelson knows the time of day

The clock points up Raven's Classic credentials

THE Solario Stakes han’t proved to be a reliable pointer to Guineas form in recent seasons but RAVEN’S PASS (70) shook up the ante-post market when obliterating his rivals at sandown last Saturday.

John Gosden’s colt made the rest of the field look ordinary and the winning time of 1m26.56s confirms this was a decent performance. Most of his rivals were off the bridle at the 2f marker and, while they were probably not up to much, you cannot argue with the time, even allowing for the fast conditions,; on a seven-race card it was the contest to dip under the Time Test standard and it lowered the juvenile course record that had stood for over 11 years by a second.

As I mentioned in my review a few weeks back, juvenile with classic aspirations need to have a figure nudging 70 - now we’ve got one

Rest of the card

Indian Trail (70)
Buachaill Dona (70)
Siberian Tiger (48)
Al Tharib (52)
Musango (51)
What Do You Know (64) Even Bolder (61)

*bump*

Forgotten how many nice pics were on this thread. And it has to be said, the Guineas normally goes to attractive colt - and this fella is gorgeous.

Makes interesting reading doesn't it? I was particularly interested in the bit in the clipping above about RP's stamina at a mile.

I haven't backed him for the Guineas and I think now I will stick with Ibn Khaldun [and be damned if need be!]

I think I read there was talk of the Craven or Greenham in the ground allows. As Goden says, there's no point running him in ground like for the Dewhurst and if that is the case, he'll go straight to the Guineas.

I backed him for the Guineas after seeing him win at Ascot on Diamond Day - it'll probably take a fair improvement to beat New Approach but if the ground's better on the big day I'll certainly be keeping my fingers crossed. If he gets beaten in a prep run then it's unlikely he'll win the guineas but if he goes straight there I'd be pretty confident.

A slight step away but anyone know if Kitty Matcham is likely to run in the 1000 or whether the Irish version would be more likely race for her?

Originally posted by imagine@Apr 1 2008, 07:15 PM

A slight step away but anyone know if Kitty Matcham is likely to run in the 1000 or whether the Irish version would be more likely race for her?
Dunno, but i love the way they`ve named this filly. Hope she does well for obvious reasons.

If Ravens Pass did go for the Craven, he would probably take on Twice Over( being aimed at that race ) now if Twice Over can get close to R.Pass then his 25-1 for the 2000 Guineas would disappear pretty quick.

Back