Recommendations

The format of the new website is simply not going to allow copy / pasting.

You need a HTML scraping tool DO. I've knocked you a fairly basic one up so PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it you.

Is the small format mentioned in number 9 any good to you DO?http://www.attheraces.com/news/2017/March/29/hidden-gems-on-attheraces.com
Thanks, Bear. As a worst-case scenario, I could use it but it will take up a lot of paper & ink at one-two races max per page when I'm used to getting up to five races on one page. I really don't understand what publishers think people want when they offer these things. OK, the alternative might be not to offer anything at all but their beggars-can't-be-choosers attitude beggars belief and belies their stated aims of providing a service. Bigeeps and Wilsonl have been brilliant in trying to help behind the scenes and I can now get cards on Excel but I'm still not comfortable with that............................................................................................ As an aside, Mrs O asked me this morning in passing if I had any horses on today. When I told her 'just one' she said, 'That's not like you.' I explained about the ongoing difficulties and she seemed shocked. 'That's ridiculous! You need this stuff. You need your brain to keep working otherwise you're going to turn to mush.'............................................. I think she just likes the idea of my ensconcing myself in the back room and giving her peace...................... you know what they say, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll get rid of him for a whole weekend....................

I've downloaded the fast card printout for Aintree on Thursday. It's in PDF format. Is there any way I can convert that into a Word document (which I can then edit) or into an 'editable' (if that's a word) version of the PDF?

I've downloaded the fast card printout for Aintree on Thursday. It's in PDF format. Is there any way I can convert that into a Word document (which I can then edit) or into an 'editable' (if that's a word) version of the PDF?

Have you considered Google for your queries?

If you have Adobe Acrobat you can use that ( presume you have it to read pdf files ), if not you can use this free software http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/

Try this Mo.

Open a new document in Microsoft word, go to page layout and set margins to narrow. Then go to a card on the sky sports website and highlight everything from the first race card number down to the last price. Copy and paste to word. Left click to highlight the column with the colours, then right click and select delete column. You can replace the column with the prices with the MON rating.

Thanks, BennyB. That will work. It will take slightly longer than before and won't include ORs but it's something I can work with. There's another route I'm experimenting with which looks promising and I'll go with whichever gives me the best balance between speed, workability and result. Thanks again.

PS - how do I 'set margins to narrow'?

I tried your advice with Word 2010 and Word 2003 and still prefer the latter but I don't see a 'narrow' setting for the margins.

Last edited:
Not sure on the margins - using a later version of word.

Official ratings are there, just the race I used only one horse had one.

Back