RIP Michael Jarvis

Very sad to hear - never ever heard a bad word against him in over 25 years in the game. A very talented trainer.

Now, this is sad. A true gentleman, and I can't imagine there will be anyone with a bad word to say.

Agree with all of the above sentiments - he seemed to have a gentle smile for all who greeted him. Yard now safely turned over to Roger Varian some time ago when Michael's illness bore in on him - somehow, it was so like him to quietly bow out undramatically like that. Sincere condolences to all.

It was ominous in the RP on Sunday when Brough Scott was talking to Henry Cecil and they met someone on the gallops who said it wasn't looking good for Jarvis. A very good trainer.

Pretty much everyone who has met Michael Jarvis would describe him as a gentleman. His record as a trainer speaks for itself, but his record as a man seems an even more impressive one.

I'm very sorry to hear this. He came across as a very decent man and he could certainly train. His record speaks for itself and he was very unlucky not to have a Derby winner in 2006 with Hala Bek whose jockey cost him the race.

Rakti is the most fiery horse I've ever seen at a racecourse. I'm convinced I saw smoke and steam coming out his nostrils at Newmarket on Champion Stakes day as he glared at us members of the public gathered round the parade ring. To have trained that horse to consent to do anything, never mind win a string of top races, was a serious achievement.

Michael Jarvis can also take credit for launching the international dimension of Michael Kinane's career by giving him the ride on Carroll House in the Arc. Up to that point Irish based jockeys rarely rode outside Ireland, and almost never for outside stables.

Rakti is the most fiery horse I've ever seen at a racecourse. I'm convinced I saw smoke and steam coming out his nostrils at Newmarket on Champion Stakes day as he glared at us members of the public gathered round the parade ring. To have trained that horse to consent to do anything, never mind win a string of top races, was a serious achievement.

Which year was that? I was there when he ran in it in 2005, by which time he'd completely lost it, and I remember something very similar. An almighty kerfuffle, lots of snorting, everyone turning around to look what was going on, and then the realisation: it's just Rakti coming into the parade ring :lol:

Rakti going to post in the Queen Anne was the funniest thing ive ever seen at a racecourse. I had a decent bet on Valixir that day and was able to rule out Rakti before the race even started.. unbeatable entertainment.

Michael Jarvis can also take credit for launching the international dimension of Michael Kinane's career by giving him the ride on Carroll House in the Arc. Up to that point Irish based jockeys rarely rode outside Ireland, and almost never for outside stables.

Good point about Rakti...

Someone whistled at him or something as he came out on course. Drove him mental. Poor Philip Robinson must have the shoulder sockets of a 90 year old. A horse I genuinely miss. As Grey said, I can't imagine too many would have got more out of him than Jarvis.

Back