Road to the Cheltenham Festival Handicaps

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

[FONT=&quot]After seeing Rock Noir win in impressive fashion yesterday I couldn’t help thinking to myself there is a horse we might see in a handicap at the festival. There have been a number of changes to the festival this year (race names, additional races etc) to make it confusing for the most seasoned of racing enthusiast to work out.[/FONT]
This is a very useful site to add to your bookmarks:
http://www.cheltenhamfestival.net/supreme-novices-hurdle.php

By the time the festival comes around must people have a fair idea what they fancy or the form of the big races. It might be no harm this year to keep a thread going for these notoriously difficult races to work out.

Rock Noir has been added to the Jewson Novice Chase betting.
[FONT=&quot] Jewson Novice Chase[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Jewson Novices Chase (1:30pm) is a Grade 2 listed weight-for-age chase run over two and a half miles. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The race is a new event for the 2011 Cheltenham Festival, not to be confused with the old Jewson Novices' Handicap Chase which has been renamed the Centenary Novices' Chase, that has now become Tuesday's seventh race. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Could anyone guess what sort of mark he will be on presumably he will be a couple of pounds too high for the Centenary Novices Handicap?[/FONT]

Last edited:
IIRC, Rock Noir was given a hurdles mark of 150 when he first appeared at the tail-end of last season. Whilst I doubt his chase mark will be that high, I'd be surprised if the OH took too many chances with him, and can see him getting 146 or 147 for chases - in which case, I'd have to think there would be something better handicapped in the field.

My thoughts as well. Good thread idea but I think he will be 20/1 to win a handicap anywhere as per GHs point.

Not convinced about what the horse finds off the bridle either (like many ex-French horses) - looked to be travelling very well at Bangor but went out like a light.

Track would be a concern for me too - yet to win on an undulating track and badly disappointed in the County Hurdle last year.

IIRC, Rock Noir was given a hurdles mark of 150 when he first appeared at the tail-end of last season. Whilst I doubt his chase mark will be that high, I'd be surprised if the OH took too many chances with him, and can see him getting 146 or 147 for chases - in which case, I'd have to think there would be something better handicapped in the field.

Thanks. It was only when I checked the RP database that I remembered he was a very expensive purchase. One more question, did the handicapper access his French form and give him a mark in the county hurdle or was he automatically top weight?

Thanks. It was only when I checked the RP database that I remembered he was a very expensive purchase. One more question, did the handicapper access his French form and give him a mark in the county hurdle or was he automatically top weight?
Assessed his form is probably pushing it a bit but he was given a mark on the basis of what he did in France.

I've noticed I typed access which might be a better question Martin! Would they even know where to access the form?!

Time Electric was given a pretty interesting ride in the beginners chase at Fairyhouse (an absolute farce of a race) today. Probably got too close to Quito De La Roque at Clonmel for his trainer's liking but he could well turn out to be a Centenary type. Will certainly relish the likely better ground as well.

Time Electric doesn't strike me as a messing-around-with horse. If he's willing and able on any given day you have to let him take his chance. It may be a while before he's willing and able again.

He's no world beater that is for sure and as for today's race all the jockeys should be shot for gifting Bob Lingo such a lead.

Bensalem for the William Hill interest me. I notice Boyles have hime installed as 12/1 fav for the race, which will not get me rushing to the piggy bank. But a horse that performed well last season despite Kings yard performing poorly on the whole.

Sandwiched between two 156 rated hurdlers at Punchestown on his last run. Ran off 143 in the race last season when the second last caught him out. Given improvement in his his jumping and with the moving of the 2nd last fence, he'll be one i'm looking forward to seeing.

Having said all that, I have no idea if that's his target. Has anyone heard King mentioning the horse in any interviews?

Very much in agreement with you, Hezz - Bensalem looks a very well handicapped animal to my eyes (particularly on the run against Diamond Harry at Newbury). No real surprise, however, that the bookies appear wise to him.

I think I read that he was a sick animal in the spring/summer, and that he would always be late back into training for this season. That was while back, and I haven't seen/heard anything since.

Cheers Grasshopper, didn't hear he was sick. I think I heard King mentioning in an interview, about Karabak and his next target, that he was looking to get a run into Bensalem. So I assume he's ready to go.

I assume the William Hill will be the target. I half thought he might try run him for some place money in the World hurdle, but given his mark i'd think that's not even worth considering.

I would say if King confirmed the William Hill as his target (and next race) then I would say the 12s is huge. I could see him starting as low as 4/1 or 9/2.

I really like the 16/1 Sunnyhillboy. I'm guessing that will be the first time he will be stepped up in trip.

I am sure I read somewhere Bensalem was going back hurdling.

King did mention that he was looking to get a run into him over hurdles, but i don't know if that's the long term plan or merely to get a run into him and protect his Chase mark.

I would think if hurdling was the plan for the season then place money in the World Hurdle could be a realistic target.

I don't know what many of the races are at Cheltenham this year. Which one is the Jewson, for example? Is it the old Jewson, or this new 2m4 conditions chase for novices? I couldn't name one horse who I am sure is lining up in the latter.

Back