Road To The Kentucky Derby 2010

Powerscourt

At the Start
Godolphin enter eight for US Triple Crown

By NicholasGodfrey 11:44AM 7 FEB 2010

Nominations

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/triple-crown-mania/nominations

USA: Breeders' Cup winner Vale Of York heads a total of eight Godolphin nominations to this year's American Triple Crown, while Ballydoyle's sole entry is shock Dewhurst winner Beethoven.

John Gosden has three nominations, but they do not include Pounced, who won the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf in 2009.

A total of only 17 overseas-trained horses featured among 366 early nominees for the three Triple Crown races were revealed on Saturday night.

Connections of these first entries have paid $600, but horses can be added for a $6,000 fee at a second entry stage on March 27.
The Godolphin team also includes recent purchase Tahitian Warrior, an impressive winner at Gulfstream Park last month, plus Fareej, Mendip and Sahara Kingdom, all of whom were unbeaten at a low level as two-year-olds.Gosden's possibles are headed by the highly rated Prizefighting, while Dermot Weld has five entries.

"Our nomination total is down a bit, but the 366 horses on the roster of nominees represent as deep a field of quality prospects as we've seen over the years," said Churchill Downs seniot vice-preisdent Donnie Richardson.
This year's Triple Crown beginswith the Kentucky Derby on May 1 followed by the Preakness at Pimlico on May 15 and the Belmont on June 5.
US-based nominations are headed by the Eclipse Award-winning pair Lookin At Lucky and She Be Wild.
Todd Pletcher, still looking forhis first Kentucky Derby victory, has the most nominations with 20, one more than D Wayne Lukas.

Beethoven has already earned enough graded earnings to make the final field if they so choose to send him over.

Would probably need a prep on the all weather somewhere.

Would love to go to this one year.

Some decent racing at Santa Anita and Gulfstream this weekend but Santa Anita had to abandon their card last night where superfilly Blind Luck was supposed to run.

As part of its Champions Of Racing series Horse and Country TV (Sky Channel 280 8PM Sunday with repeats on a Monday and a Friday)) takes a look at The Cinderella Man of Racing Lava Man and Falbrav winning the 2002 Japan Cup for Italy

Then at 8.30 it takes a look at The Kentucky Derby and Falbrav, eight group ones in five countries .

Road to the Kentucky Derby

Just wondering if any forumites follow the game across the pond? Been following it a lot more since I went to the Breeders Cup. Some good performances last night.

Nice performance from Awesome Act on his dirt debut for Jeremy Noseda at Aqueduct, won very easily and now continues his progress towards the Kentucky Derby. Video available here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVwXbK1bhbM

Blind Luck got beat at Santa Anita, she also appeared in Antepost Derby lists and came into the Santa Anita Oaks off the back of 2 very impressive wins at Hollywood and over C&D. This is one of the worst rides I've seen for a while, the jockey Rafael Bejarano has come out and admitted he messed up and she should have won to his credit, something I wish more jockeys would do over here. Here's the replay.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWan7henFY

EskendereyaEskendereyaThought Eskendereya did it pretty impressively and looks to be going on the right sort of path for Kentucky glory....he is the favourite with the Euro bookies.

A couple of major prep races for the Kentucky Derby this weekend with Jeremy Noseda's Awesome Act in action on Saturday in the Grade One Wood Memorial at Aqueduct taking on Eskendereya. Looking At Lucky running in the G1 Santa Anita Derby.

Aqueduct - April 3, 2010

Race 9 - 5:12 PM

STAKES Wood Memorial S. (Grade I)

Purse $750,000. For Three Year Olds. No nomination fee. $7,500 to pass the entry box. All starters will receive a $4,000 rebate.

1 Most Happy Fella (NY) 3/G L A R Napravnik 123 W Badgett, Jr.
2 Awesome Act (KY) 3/C L J R Leparoux 123 J Noseda
3 Eskendereya (KY) 3/C L J R Velazquez 123 T A Pletcher
4 Schoolyard Dreams (KY) 3/C L R A Dominguez 123 D S Ryan
5 Jackson Bend (FL) 3/C L C H Borel 123 N P Zito
6 Carnivore (KY) 3/C L* J Shepherd 123 J W Delozier, III

Santa Anita Park - April 3, 2010

Race 6 - 2:36 PM

STAKES Santa Anita Derby (Grade I)

Purse $750,000. For Three-Year-Olds. By subscription of $300 each to accompany the nomination (Early Bird) on or before Saturday, January 2, 2010. l

Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer

1 Posse Power (KY) 3/C L* L Mawing 122 F Lucarelli
2 Thomas Baines (KY) 3/G L* J Rosario 122 D F O'Neill
3 Who's Up (FL) 3/C L* V Espinoza 122 M Puhich
4 Sidney's Candy (KY) 3/C L* J Talamo 122 J W Sadler
5 Setsuko (KY) 3/C L* R Bejarano 122 R E Mandella
6 Caracortado (CA) 3/G L* P Atkinson 122 M Machowsky
7 Lookin At Lucky (KY) 3/C L G K Gomez 122 B Baffert
8 Cardiff Giant (KY) 3/G L C Santiago Reyes 122 M Puhich
9 Skipshot (KY) 3/C L* F T Alvarado 122 J Hollendorfer
10 Alphie's Bet (CA) 3/C L* A O Solis 122 A Barba

I dont follow it that much but do ye have any opinions on Connemara

I think Connemara lacks enough speed for a Derby and might be more of a Belmont horse. His only chane in the Derby might be for a frantic pace up front for him to run at. He has no early speed and will be at the back of the field early on needing a lot of luck in running in a twenty horse field.

Massive performance by Eskendereya ..

The horse is big and will only improve with time

Will be a short price Fav for the Derby after that.

Aren't the owners of Eskendereya in financial trouble? Any chance Coolmore could step in and buy the colt before the Derby particularly with the Pletcher connection already there.

Aren't the owners of Eskendereya in financial trouble? Any chance Coolmore could step in and buy the colt before the Derby particularly with the Pletcher connection already there.

Owners are in some kind of financial trouble but this horse could certainly cure that problem.

Apparently all kinds of offers were made for him after his Fountain of Youth win last month but owners were not selling. Coolmore were surely involved as were almost all the big operations.

Would not surprise me to see him standing at Coolmore along with his sire.

I dont ever remember Coolmore buying a colt in training or am I wrong? I thought the deals they do are for after racing/stallion career.

Back