Robert Alner Seriously Injured

What a nice gesture, just mentioned on At The Races.

Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Robert is back in action of being weaned off the ventilator. On Sunday he had his first taste of fresh air in 87 days when 3 nurses wheeled him out on his hospital bed wrapped in warm attached to an oxygen tank.
We'd like to thank Paul Nicholls for his generosity donating his winning Hunter Chase percentage money to Robert, which was kindly matched by Fontwell Race Course at the weekend.
The Robert Alner Fund will be set up shortly and we are planning some fund raising activity later in the year.

It appears, reading the blog that Robert's recovery is fairly slow. Let's hope he is soon at home and off the ventilator. Best of luck with the fund too.

Further update on Robert as of 28th Feb 2008

Alner operation successful

by Racing Post staff

ROBERT ALNER'S latest operation following his road accident in November has been carried out successfully at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.

Alner was moved back to Frenchay last weekend, following a period in a Salisbury hospital, closer to his Dorset home, after it became clear that surgery was needed to refit a plate supporting bones in his neck.
The surgery was accomplished satisfactorily on Monday and, provided his doctors find no reason to retain him at Frenchay, another move back to Salisbury appears imminent.

Nick Mitchell, assistant trainer to Alner and his wife Sally, said: “We're waiting to hear what the doctors say. The plan appears to be for him to move back to Salisbury, which will be a big help to Sally.”

It's such a pain for them that Andy Thornton is now out injured for about 3/4 months as he's totally torn his shoulder to shreds in the fall he had at the weekend. He's such an important part of the set-up, this is going to make it even harder for poor Sally - rotten for him too that he can't ride Simon in the GN - how often do you get to ride a horse with a winning chance in the National

shrug::

Glad to hear that the op went well, hope he's back closer to home soon.

A wonderful piece on Channel 4 Racing this morning about Robert Alner. A look around the yard at the horses with Sally with Alice.

I loved the yard. All the horses looked very laid back and very happy. There were ducks, dogs, a goat and a sheep all wandering around. It all looks very relaxing. I didn't realise they only had about 40 horses. I just imagined they had more than that.

Sally was quite emotional at the end of the interview thanking everyone, including the Injured Jockeys Fund and other trainers and all the people in the village for their continued support. Sally seems to be a remarkable lady, and I can't imagine how difficult it has been for her since November when Robert had his car accident. He can now move his head and his arms but is still unable to speak but evidently still gets a 6.30am a report via the nurses on progress at the yard. He has also asked for his dogs to be taken to see him.

I wish Sally, Robert and the Alner Team a very successful Cheltenham Festival.

Echo those words completely Kathy...What a brave , inspiring woman Sally is after what has happened ...
Best wishes to Sally , the team who have rallied around to help, also to Robert ..and the horses who will be going to Cheltenham ...Good Luck

:clap: I hope the result from Saturday's racing put a smile on Robert's and Sally's faces.

Courtesy of The Racing Post

In form at the right time
Sally Alner saddled Connak to win and later doubled up at Sandown with Bowleaze which augured well for the stable's runners at Cheltenham next week.

Originally posted by Kathy@Mar 8 2008, 07:39 AM
A wonderful piece on Channel 4 Racing this morning about Robert Alner. A look around the yard at the horses with Sally with Alice.

It could and should have been a wonderful piece. Unfortunately, they sent Alice Plunkett and it turned into over-sentimental mush. She'd done no preparation whatsoever and her contributions were scarcely even literate.

That's not the fault of Sally Alner or Nick Mitchell, of course, and nobody could fail to sympathise with their travails. They deserved better, though.

Trust fund launch on Monday in aid of Robert Alner

by Racing Post staff

A TRUST fund in aid of the popular Dorset trainer Robert Alner will be launched on Monday.

Alner suffered life-threatening injuries in a car crash last November and at the heart of the project is a ball at Wincanton racecourse on Saturday, October 11.

Many of the biggest names in jump racing are expected to be present, while the majority of the proceeds from Jim Old's annual charity golf day at Marlborough in August will also go to the Alner fund.

His wife Sally said: "Both of us are overwhelmed by all the support Robert has received since his accident.

"People have been amazing and the Injured Jockeys Fund has been there for Robert from day one.

"We can't thank everyone enough for all their efforts and are deeply touched that a fund has been set up for him."
Alner's long-time stable jockey Andrew Thornton is one of the trustees.

He added: "There are lots of practical things we can do to make Robert's life a little easier when he resumes back at the yard.

"Unfortunately mostof them cost money. That's why we are launching a fund to help him."

The 64-year-old suffered serious neck injuries in the accident and subsequently endured several operations. He continues to make steady progress at Odstock Hospital near Salisbury.

The Robert Alner Fund has already been boosted by contributions from a dinner dance at Cheltenham racecourse in January.

Lambourn trainer Charlie Mann is organising a golf day on June 30 while champion trainer Paul Nicholls handed over his winning percentage from his hunter chase victories this season.

I hope they are able to raise a lot of money for Robert. I always find it so heartwarming to hear how people in, or connected with, the racing industry rally round when people fall on hard times or suffer such horrific injuries. It's not only financial support but they physical help they have offered his wife and family during this awful period in all of their lives enabling their racing business to continue.

OK, I'm going to say what one or two probably are thinking and this is nothing to do with the Alners personally who I am sure are lovely people - but why a public appeal for money? I can certainly understand offering practical help but why a trust fund?

Why isn't there an insurance policy covering this? Surely he must have had cover and if he didn't - especially bearing in mind the industry he works in and the fact that we aren't talking about a stable lad or lass living off a very restricted wage - why not?

Personally, I don't need to know the reasons behind why the fund it being set up - presumably it is just to help them financially. I don't want or need to know what insurance they did or didn't have in place. I can imagine that a lot of people involved in racing have been raising money and wanting to continue to do this in the future. Perhaps this fund is a way of bringing it all together like they did with the JP McNamara Fund.

I just hope the fund helps them, now and in the longer term to resume some form of a normal life - whatever that may consist of in the future for Robert and his family.

I understand Songsheet's caveat well. I don't see why Alner, dreadful though his situation is, should suck funds which might otherwise be available to Racing Welfare etc for the benefit of ALL in the industry who suffer horrific injuries, many of them like lads and lasses or inexperienced jocks with less in the way of finacial resources than the Alners.

Maybe it's because he didn't suffer his in respect of anything to do with racing - it was a car accident with [iirc] no-one else involved? I've got massive insurance [even in my parlous financial straits!] for any kind of accident suffered when travelling inc in my car, and I'd have thought anyone involved in racing given the miles we all drive should have the same, esp the professionals.

I'd feel happier if the Alners used their clout and the goodwill shown them to help raise funds for the established industry charities, and benefited from the monies raised along with everyone else in need of them. I realise that their house will need adapting and so forth as Alner is now paralysed, but there are many in this position.

No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to ask them to help the Alner's in either a physical or financial way. It's down to peoples individual choices and the decision of a highly respected charity. I cannot begin to understand how Sally has managed to continue with their business the way she has with her husband so desperately ill. Admittedly, it does happen to many thousands of people but if a trust fund will help this particular family in the short and the longer term then I wish them well with it.

Back