Royal Ascot 2024

Marb

Journeyman
I'll kick this thread off with two that I like.

Royal Hunt Cup - Aerion Power was a colt who ran really well in this actual race last year. Sir Michael Stoute has campaigned him relatively lightly the past several seasons, and it was interesting that turning six years of age, they decided to get him gelded. Usually I feel they tend to geld flat horses a bit earlier in their careers. The same thing happend with Astro King, being gelded, albeit around the time he left Stoute's for Daniel and Claire Kublers, and look at the extra improvement Astro King found after the procedure. I think Aerion won cosily today, will only improve for the run, and on last year's fourth, I reckon he only needs to find a couple of lengths to win this. He's 47 in the list to get in, so I'm hopeful he'll make the cut with a penalty for his win today. Some bookies left him at his original anti post price of 33/1 immediately after his win today, including Skybet, who are now only 18's, and the 33s and 25s has been chipped away the past couple of hours. I can see why.

Prince Of Wales - I'm going to be backing Alflaila who is a top price 14s chance with most bookies. Those four wins on the bounce at the end of 2022, and it's first win of 2023 were both progressive and impressive. Alflaila beat what I think is a solid yardstick in My Prospero. Why it only had two runs in 2023 I don't know, but I'm interested in what it can do in 2024. I think Owen Burrows is the type of trainer to bring out the best in this horse as it gets older, which is what he did with Hukum. I've just got a good feeling about this.

I'm looking forward to the meeting.

Last edited:
I have to be careful because I’ve got stars in my eyes for Alflaila so I’m glad to share your feeling :love:

“He won’t be ready until the second part of May as he had a little blip after the Irish Champion Stakes. He obviously won well in the Group Two (York Stakes) up at York last season. We are all in agreement that it didn’t go to plan in Ireland, but he was only three and a quarter lengths behind Auguste Rodin.

"He doesn’t have much to find at the top level, and all being well we can have a bit more of a longer season. He is another one that is moving well and that has done well. We might have a look at the Brigadier Gerard Stakes at Sandown Park first, and then all being well we can look at all the decent 10 furlong races with him.

"You would hope he could go for the Prince Of Wales’s Stakes at Royal Ascot. I wouldn’t rule out going up in trip to a mile and a half with him at some point because of his run style. He hit the line strongly in the Irish Champion and it might just open up a few more options at some stage.” Burrows Stable tour April Sporting Life

Good that you've started the thread, Marb.

Hopefully others will post their stuff here and not start other threads all over the place :)(y)

I've done two so far.
Real gains 33/1 as per a/p thread..Royal hunt cup
Wizard of eyes. 16/1 wokingham.
i haven't done WOE in a single yet in case he runs in something else like the Buckingham Palace.

Very interesting selections you have there, Steve.

The Wizard Of Eye has improved again after the gelding operation. He was impressive winning that Victoria Cup. He's in the Jubilee aswell though. I thought Tom Marquand wouldn't be able to get him up the last day, but he did. One of the few winners I've spotted myself of late! He's a slightly bigger price for the group race.

Trainers are a funny bunch, so I couldn't totally rule it out. I couldn't and wouldn't back him until I knew where he was going though. A lot to like about him in any event. I see Fresh is also in the Wokingham. He'd be a danger to all if he came back to his very best.

The other one, Real Gain, could be open to any amount of improvement, especially after the gelding operation. He had a nice seasonal starter last time. I wouldn't put anyone off, especially with him having the support of your good self. I always back at least two in a race like this, so I may well back him aswell.

Last edited:
The trouble is Mart he's only 16s now.

I haven't backed WoE only in the double but I've risked a small bet for the July Cup at 50/1.

I really hope White Birch misses the Hardwick and goes for the POW as I reckon he'd make mincemeat of Passenger.

I am having a bit on him at 5/1 and keeping my fingers crossed

same here, Tanlic. I'm on Passenger a/p for the POW.
Same. I think Passenger will be a monster this season.

Other bets I have at the moment are Charyn at 8s for the Queen Anne and Wild Tiger for the Hunt Cup at 14s.

With Charyn I can't have this Facteur thing as fav. His form is Meh-dan and soft ground Champions Day. I dislike Inspiral as a horse, I dislike the trainer. Charyn wins.

Wild Tiger was super impressive at Goodwood the other day for a trainer who you've got to respect in this race and he's a Frankel so a step up to a mile should improve him further.

Two horses plunging down the handicap are really eye catching in the Wokingham. Great Ambassador has never run well at the track so I'll be looking for him to finish down the field before a much better run at Goodwood. Fresh has not been off a yard for a while. He'll likely be a big price on the day on the machine hopefully.

There has to be a chance Fresh might not make the cut without picking up a penalty.

(Reminder to self - check out this Wild Tiger. Never heard of it but I like the case you're making.)

There has to be a chance Fresh might not make the cut without picking up a penalty.

(Reminder to self - check out this Wild Tiger. Never heard of it but I like the case you're making.)
Fresh entered at Haydock on Saturday.

I'd be more interested in Fresh in the Buckingham Palace.

I'm a Passenger fan as well.

Reminder to self to check out Wild Tiger

I have to be careful because I’ve got stars in my eyes for Alflaila so I’m glad to share your feeling :love:

“He won’t be ready until the second part of May as he had a little blip after the Irish Champion Stakes. He obviously won well in the Group Two (York Stakes) up at York last season. We are all in agreement that it didn’t go to plan in Ireland, but he was only three and a quarter lengths behind Auguste Rodin.

"He doesn’t have much to find at the top level, and all being well we can have a bit more of a longer season. He is another one that is moving well and that has done well. We might have a look at the Brigadier Gerard Stakes at Sandown Park first, and then all being well we can look at all the decent 10 furlong races with him.

"You would hope he could go for the Prince Of Wales’s Stakes at Royal Ascot. I wouldn’t rule out going up in trip to a mile and a half with him at some point because of his run style. He hit the line strongly in the Irish Champion and it might just open up a few more options at some stage.” Burrows Stable tour April Sporting Life
He'll go for the Prince Of Wales, or the listed Wolverton stakes, according to the Attheraces website.

I'm pleased I read this, as I'll hold back my punt on him now. I was very nearly ready to start unloading!

Re Wild Tiger, could the plan be the Hunt Cup following up in the Magnet Cup? Does SBS have history with that double? I'm pretty sure he's at least tried it.

I can feel a potential plot for the Hunt Cup coming on from the master of confoundery and obfuscation, and Padishakh is his name. Someone reportedly paid £200k to get him from Roger Varian last year, and who better than O'Meara to recapture some of that outlay by winning a couple of big handicaps before maybe higher grade targets.

Nicely 'unexposed'. Seems nigh on guaranteed a run. The question in my head is will he try to win one of the York handicaps in a couple of weeks' time to make sure (or for extra pennies), hold still for the big one off a break, or go for the dodgy 'he broke slowly, bumped his head leaving the stalls, had a runny nose, didn't sleep the night before, had hiccups' post-York and after he's won the Hunt Cup by a pulling up 3 lengths.

By my interpretation of the current weights, he wouldn't be wanting to drop (if that's possible), so if he goes to York he'll probably be off.

50-1 best for Ascot I think atm. Should really be 66 or 100.

Any other second guesses on the intent are welcome :)

PS Reportedly ''will be better on better ground'' - comment based on run at Doncaster (soft).

Last edited:
Who knows what O'Meara is planning.ive given up trying to work him out.
Will have to back Bopedro though. :drink:

I've done two so far.
Real gains 33/1 as per a/p thread..Royal hunt cup
Wizard of eyes. 16/1 wokingham.
i haven't done WOE in a single yet in case he runs in something else like the Buckingham Palace.
According to the RP headline just now, (I haven't access to the article, can anyone help me out), Charlie Fellowes is looking strongly at the Queen Elizabeth Jubilee stakes. Who can blame him.

Last edited:
I'll kick this thread off with two that I like.

Royal Hunt Cup - Aerion Power was a colt who ran really well in this actual race last year. Sir Michael Stoute has campaigned him relatively lightly the past several seasons, and it was interesting that turning six years of age, they decided to get him gelded. Usually I feel they tend to geld flat horses a bit earlier in their careers. The same thing happend with Astro King, being gelded, albeit around the time he left Stoute's for Daniel and Claire Kublers, and look at the extra improvement Astro King found after the procedure. I think Aerion won cosily today, will only improve for the run, and on last year's fourth, I reckon he only needs to find a couple of lengths to win this. He's 47 in the list to get in, so I'm hopeful he'll make the cut with a penalty for his win today. Some bookies left him at his original anti post price of 33/1 immediately after his win today, including Skybet, who are now only 18's, and the 33s and 25s has been chipped away the past couple of hours. I can see why.

Prince Of Wales - I'm going to be backing Alflaila who is a top price 14s chance with most bookies. Those four wins on the bounce at the end of 2022, and it's first win of 2023 were both progressive and impressive. Alflaila beat what I think is a solid yardstick in My Prospero. Why it only had two runs in 2023 I don't know, but I'm interested in what it can do in 2024. I think Owen Burrows is the type of trainer to bring out the best in this horse as it gets older, which is what he did with Hukum. I've just got a good feeling about this.

I'm looking forward to the meeting.
The handicappers left him on 95.
The same mark when he was fourth last year. I just hope he makes the cut again.

According to the RP headline just now, (I haven't access to the article, can anyone help me out), Charlie Fellowes is looking strongly at the Queen Elizabeth Jubilee stakes. Who can blame him.
Charlie Fellowes is hoping to take advantage of the lack of overseas entries at Royal Ascot this year by mapping out an ambitious tilt at the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Stakes with his smart handicapper The Wizard Of Eye.

The Newmarket trainer may well be in the thick of the Royal Ascot action at his yard next week with some US raiders set to board at his Bedford House Stables, but he is thankful that none of them is to be aimed at the sprint feature on June 22.

Formerly trained by Stan Moore, The Wizard of Eye made a successful debut from his new yard at Ascot last month when running out an easy winner of the Victoria Cup.

That was over seven furlongs but Fellowes says the five-year-old has always shown plenty of pace in his homework and he is keen to give him a crack at the Group 1, the market for which is headed by Kinross.

Fellowes said: “I’m not convinced it’s the strongest renewal of what is now the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Stakes we’ve ever seen. There are no foreign horses in it, including Australian horses in particular, and they all seemed to finish in a bit of a heap at York in the Duke of York Stakes.”

Fellowes added: “Kinross is a very good horse put probably wants a bit further and definitely wants cut in the ground over six.

"The Wizard Of Eye is not getting any younger, is extremely talented and the straight track at Ascot was no problem to him the other day. I thought they went steady in the Victoria Cup which often plays to the strengths of the leaders but he was still able to pick up from the back of the field and show a lot of speed to go and win it.”

The Wizard Of Eye is a 16-1 chance for the Group 1 and the same price for the Wokingham Handicap on the same day.

Fellowes said: “It’s a big step up but this might be the right time to try it. If he’s not good enough well he’s not good enough and we can drop back into the handicaps where there are a lot of nice races to go for but on his homework I'd say he’s good enough.

“He’s also entered in the Wokingham and he’ll be in the Buckingham Palace as well but at this stage I’m very much leaning towards the big one.”

Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Stakes (Royal Ascot, June 22)

bet365: 11-2 Kinross, 6 Mill Stream, 8 Regional, 10 Mitbaahy, 12 Shouldvebeenaring, 14 Art Power, Shartash, Spycatcher, Washington Heights, 16 Go Bears Go, The Wizard Of Eye, 20 bar

Any news on whether the wee Italian stallion, Gianfranco Dettori is coming over for this?

Last edited:
Back