Royal Ascot 2024

I just wanted to put it on record that I HATE Caius Chorister.

Why?

In June 2022 I had sorted out a nice bet on Wagga Wagga making its handicap debut off 56 at Salisbury and I organised getting 14/1 overnight win only (each-way is for those who lack moral fibre).

Despite pulling Georgia Dobie's arms off it came there strongly and just got beat a neck at 9/2 by some bitch of a filly running off 57.

Wagga Wagga won his next two races off 59 and 65 because he had bumped into a right one at the Netherhampton venue in the shape of the winner who is now an OR109 Cup mare ffs!

FML!

That is all - do carry on.
Glad you got over it Ian and it does not bother you anymore. ;)

Anyone interested in Laurel for the Duke of Cambridge will find Kevin Blake’s ATR article of interest.

And the Turftrax going map suggests decent ground but there's rain to come.

Everything is up in the air.

Literally.

Screenshot (98).png

Get Shirty, is doublely engaged on Tuesday, in the Ascot Stakes + Copper House. He won the latter off 99. On a tempting mark now off 90.
Appears to go on any ground. I'm hoping he has a crack at the longer race, as there maybe scope, to improve on recent efforts. 33/1 makes some ew appeal.

Get Shirty, is doublely engaged on Tuesday, in the Ascot Stakes + Copper House. He won the latter off 99. On a tempting mark now off 90.
Appears to go on any ground. I'm hoping he has a crack at the longer race, as there maybe scope, to improve on recent efforts. 33/1 makes some ew appeal.
I was looking at him.

I'm interested in Trooper Bisdee aswell.

I'm a sucker for a consistent horse down the bottom of the handicap going about it's business well winning races.

Often they get found out when stepped up in grade, but if any trainer knows the time of day, what is required and can make it happen, it's Sir Mark Prescott. I reckon the trooper will run well if he runs. There's scope in his current price for him to shorten up too.

He's also entered in the Northumberland Plate, so am holding back until final declarations.

Last edited:
I think there are a few of us keeping an eye on get shirty.

Pied Piper ran a stormer in the County Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival.

Running off OR156, he stayed on strongly to be 4.25l third to Absurde, to who he was conceding 18lb.

Absurde is probably a better horse on the Flat, but even so he had won the Ebor off 104 and Pied Piper returns to the level off 100.

Do the maths.

I expect Pied Piper to run in the Ascot Stakes, 5/1 might seem short in a big-field handicap, but I make him a 5/2 shot (28% chance of winning).

The Turftrax going map is now showing the ground firming up although showers are forecast. Hopefully enough rain will come to ensure they don't water and that they'll be racing on good, fair, fastish ground.

Screenshot (99).png

Pied Piper ran a stormer in the County Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival.

Running off OR156, he stayed on strongly to be 4.25l third to Absurde, to who he was conceding 18lb.

Absurde is probably a better horse on the Flat, but even so he had won the Ebor off 104 and Pied Piper returns to the level off 100.

Do the maths.

I expect Pied Piper to run in the Ascot Stakes, 5/1 might seem short in a big-field handicap, but I make him a 5/2 shot (28% chance of winning).
He's only 10/1 for the 1M6F handicap on Tuesday.

Is the Ascot Stakes the definate target, Ian?

I wrote I expect him to run in the Ascot Stakes because I think the trip will suit him better and Jamie Spencer is jocked up to ride him and last time I looked he was without a jockey in the other race.

But I can't be sure, so will wait until Sunday morning to find out.

I expect he will run in the Ascot Stakes. A close up 6th last season. He's 2lb higher now. Those two facts combined, make him short enough for me.

I'm in a similar situation with Alflaila.

But being the somewhat foolish risk taker that I am, I thought I knew best, and unloaded on him for the Prince Of Wales.

I'm now thinking this wasn't such a clever idea. If he's declared for the Wolferton on Sunday, that's my money down the drain.

When will I learn. The things we do eh.

Last edited:
King George VI Saturday.

Voyage 66/1

Oooh, now that would be very interesting indeed. Certainly worth having onside. But are you sure about the entry, Outsider? Acc to the RP it's that price for the King George next month. Voyage doesn't have an OR yet so might not qualify for the 3yo handicap. It's name isn't listed among the entries and I don't think you can supplement.

Inspiral now heading to the Prince Of Wales. This is shaping up to be one of the races of the week.

Oooh, now that would be very interesting indeed. Certainly worth having onside. But are you sure about the entry, Outsider? Acc to the RP it's that price for the King George next month. Voyage doesn't have an OR yet so might not qualify for the 3yo handicap. It's name isn't listed among the entries and I don't think you can supplement.
My mistake,sorry.its July 27th.
I was half listening to R.Hannon and he said it was running in the King George and I thought he meant Ascot.

Back