Royal Ascot - Highs and Lows

Highs

- Ghanaati's win for Barry Hills
- Yeats victory for the sport in general
- Canford Cliffs for shear demolition of his opponants
- Father Times emphatic win for the wonderful Cecil
- The record crowd on Saturday

Lows

- Rishi p.s he's not fit for Big Brother let alone BBC Racing.
- Gary Wilshire leading the public on, exploiting his role at BBC to help his industry.
- The Americans cockey and exploitations of our season and mother nature.
- Godolphin's no show.
- David Wachmans lack of support for his filly Chintz
- Roaring Forte's withdrawal
- Veracity's death
- Ryan Moore's enthusiasm

English people being loud, drunk, and obnoxious at a sporting event. I cannot believe this could possibly happen.

England has had a culture of drinking in Taverns, Inns and at sporting events (including public executions) for centuries, tis no different now. After all there were more drunks able to take their alcohol many years ago, as oppose to now, as it was the only way of obtaining undiseased beverages in alot of instances. I'd say we now have less of an amunity and therefore some are more outrageous when they do get a drink.

England has had a culture of drinking in Taverns, Inns and at sporting events (including public executions) for centuries, tis no different now.

I much prefer the continental way of doing things. Where they'd go for a meal first. One of the blokes I went to Thailand with refused to eat in the evening so he had more room for his Lager. It's that sort of drinking culture I find distasteful.

Highs

- Ghanaati, sublime performance and my only winner of the meeting!
- Never backed the horse in my life but hats off to Yeats, incredible performance from horse & trainer.
- Wesley Ward exploting the British training methods
- Scenic Blast demolishing inferior rivals

Lows

- Not being able to see the runners in the parade ring and get a good position for a race yesterday, bloody awful. Never going in the Grandstand for the royal meeting again. Disappointing for my first visit.
- Godolphin, bar their filly they had a stinker. The Queen Anne was horrible to watch.
- Record Breaker not quite getting up yesterday, had a large each-way bet at tastey prices.
- Veracity
- A disappointing Golden Jubilee result

FAREER for me - to have an interest in a runner in a big race through the personal connection of a social networking site was a thrill. But to see him win! Unforgettable.

It goes without saying that seeing YEATS win was totally thrilling, how often do we witness history being made? What a privilege.

CARACCIOLA just rounded things off for fairytale Number Three. Age is just a number to him.

Human interest? Barry Hills as leading trainer whilst being so ill. Well done his team.

The low was VERACITY. Thankfully I missed seeing Rishi interview Henry Cecil but that would have joined it.

I don't know why everyone's all over Rishi/Cecil: when Mike Cattermole interviewed him, he made a lot of comments about his illness and then actually asked him what sort of treatment he was now having! Cecil said, politely but dismissively, that he'd 'rather not talk about it' and quite rightly, too. Jeez, it's racing, not Jerry Springer!

Highs and Lows are all covered by various posts above. Having a good pal breed a winner (FAREER) was the best personal highlight, but performance-wise there were so many super finishes, YEATS clearly wearing the crown for the supreme test of durability.

Glad that horses were installed and started promptly (why not for every meeting, one wonders idly?), so that there weren't any hard-luck stories about falling asleep while 20+ animals were shuffled into the gates, pleased that the Americans had a good time and are likely to keep coming back, glad that, given the huge amount of horses so fiercely contesting the five days, there was only one injury which, ultimately and sadly, led to the end of VERACITY. And it was nice to see PISTOLERO on duty for the Meehan horses, too - I hope he got some Polos as his reward for ponying!

"Glad that horses were installed and started promptly (why not for every meeting, one wonders idly?), ........"

Did you miss the cock-up of the Hunt Cup, m'dear?

Krizon......Jesus did Cattermole really ask that? You just know some people have drifted through life without ever seemingly been exposed to the dark side

He might as well have asked "well...how long have you got then?"

What a prat.

Still if he had asked me i would have given an on air gruesome blow by blow account, involving everything coming out of every orifice and fuill descriptions of what the discharges looked like. Taht would have shut him up

Highs - Yeats winning was sensational, not having a penny on him but struggling to hid my joy in work.

Paco Boy showing he is a real G1 horse over 8f. Scenic Blast's exceptional Kings Stand

Lows - convincing myself that one of Sacred Kingdom and JJ The Jet Plane would defo win the Golden Jubilee.

Missing out on Strike the Tiger on day 1

Veracity

Lows

- Gary Wilshire leading the public on, exploiting his role at BBC to help his industry.

I agree with this, the man is a completely different person off the cameras and isn't stupid, and I find it rather sad that he feels the need to play one half of a circus act on these tv appearances. If he wants to make a fool of himself then fine, but not on the BBC which shouldn't allot air time to the agenda driven guff he speaks on the channel.

Krizon - totally disgusting that HC was asked about such personal affairs at a race meeting,(though I didn't see it) a simple and genuine how are you, would have told HC that people have had concerns and interests, which lets face it, HC knows people are aware of his health problems.

I much prefer the continental way of doing things. Where they'd go for a meal first. One of the blokes I went to Thailand with refused to eat in the evening so he had more room for his Lager. It's that sort of drinking culture I find distasteful.

Hear hear:D

He must have been either young or, married and away from home or, the Mrs for the first time. Or got that worse for wear came home with a Thai bride!

Highs Mastercrafsman
Canford Cliffs
Yeats
Ghanaati

Lows Veracity
Freemantle ( a very disappointing run )
Lush Lashes ( as above )
The prominance given by the BBC to that fashion prick

HIGH : Paco Boy !:D

LOW: The Buckingham Palace Stakes . This race really in not good enough for the Royal meeting .

I would suggest that they brought back the 5f 3 yo hcap that used to be the highlight of Ascot Heath day and when run once as the Balmoral Handicap on the first day saw Deportivo beat Baltic King in a classy renewal.

Back