Rte's Racing Coverage

Bobbyjo

At the Start
Ok, I know there's an Arse Cup thread but this deserves one of its own. And I normally don't get too nit picky over mistakes that are made but I've had it with RTE's complete ineptitude. Or..I'll be more precise...the odious Tracy Piggott although Robert Hall didn't cover himself in glory either by introducing the competition with the memorable tag line 'no prizes for getting this right' before quickly adding that there actually was...

However,

Tracy is truly awful. She is the worst interviewer, rarely if ever knows her facts and continually embarasses trainers who take pity on her stupidity.

Today, she spoke to Willie Mullins before the Hennessey Gold Cup and asked his plans for his horses for the rest of the season before he pointed out that he'd better see how today went first. She said that Hedgehunter was 'the highlight' of his runners and completely forgot about the fact that he was the trainer of Snowy Morning until he pointed it out. Then, after the race, she informed us that Snowy Morning would be next going to Fairyhouse for the Bobbyjo Chase which would be live on RTE at the end of March. The race isn't then, of course. I had more examples when I started this thread but she really is the worst of the worst. She's so bad that I'm relieved when Brian Gleeson comes on screen. And that says it all.

Summed it up well. RTE would do well by poaching O'Brien from ATR, and use O'Ryan as co-commentator. Even give Gerry Hannon a crack at the commentating.

Turko was the only english challenger acoording to Robert Hall today.

Had the misfortune to listen to Peader Flanagan on RTE radio for the bumper. Big gamble on the Eoin Griffin trained fav. He wasnt mentioned once in the commentary. Decided to check how bad he had run now that I am online. He finished second. Strange.

Don't get me started on the guy who does the betting.He has adopted the classic Gleeson line that all the punters are backing all the favourites.Any time he is asked for specific details he freezes.Do we really need someone to fly over from England to do the job-he is only there for the televised meetings and I seriously doubt his knowledge of the workings of the Irish racecourse betting market.

Tony O'Heir sounds as if he is having an asthma attack at some stage in every race....get off the fags and lose some weight.

Harsh Galileo. He may not be up to much as a commentator but I think he was quite ill for a while. It may have been a few years back. Its the only excuse I have for him.

Tracy Piggott really is a joke. We have an old recording of the Irish Champion Stakes where she is asking Michael Jarvis how Riktar is. Off course he told her his horse is called RAKTI! There were a couple of further mistakes but htis was the best.

The camera work is brutal... panning back at important stages of a race, JEEEEESSSS.. ah, just don't get me going..

Brian Glesson :dork: ... Peadar Flannagan :suspect: .. Tracy shrug:: ... when put together in a tricast become Matt on ATR :angy: :rant: ... ('grassy knowl stuff', i.e. one good head shot) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AoB.

I meant to have a gripe about that.

For some coverage, I don’t quite understand the reasoning behind why they focused a camera on the crowd then panned over to the field as it came up and passed by.

Wonder if the camera operator took a holiday in America recently…

I think people are getting RTE coverage confused with that on ATR with regard to its cameramen again.

Well who does the pictures from the Curragh then?

i could do a better job with my mobile

Attheraces is dire…have no problem with the RTE camera angles bar the odd blip of focusing on the front couple too much but that happens on C4 and BBC as well. RTE have the blimp etc at the big festivals as well.

Originally posted by AnyOtherBusiness@Feb 12 2008, 10:24 PM
'grassy knowl stuff', i.e. one good head shot

That is hilarious! The funniest thing I have read on a racing forums for years.

Made up AoB? Or sourced from somewhere?

QUOTE (clivex @ Feb 13 2008, 10:45 AM)
Well who does the pictures from the Curragh then?

i could do a better job with my mobile

You find out Clivex

Get you :laughing:

Back