Rte's Racing Coverage

Originally posted by useful+Feb 13 2008, 11:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (useful @ Feb 13 2008, 11:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AnyOtherBusiness@Feb 12 2008, 10:24 PM
'grassy knowl stuff', i.e. one good head shot

That is hilarious! The funniest thing I have read on a racing forums for years.

Made up AoB? Or sourced from somewhere? [/b][/quote]
Ha ha :laughing: .. glad you like it... I'm afraid I'm sad enough to say its original... bit of a JFK fan... and can't ever get the head shot out of my mind...

Watching Matt on ATR is a bit like watching Baywatch, way better with the sound turned down.... and you'll probably undedrstand the plot much better as you won't be interupted by mindless, idiotic ramblings.... in both cases...

He's the modern day Tommo.....

"... and the favourite is under pressue..."
"... and the favourite has a lot to do...."

:rant:

Live interview with Conor O'Dwyer last weekend after he had ridden his last winner and is going full time as a trainer.

Ted Walsh; " So Conor, you're a trainer now. Are you still going to be a nice bloke or are you going to turn into a right bollocks?"

It was a great interview. You have to give it to Ted, he saw the tears coming in Conor's eyes when he was talking about his riding career and he was quick to change the subject to the future and Conor's eyes dried up and you could see how happy he was to be starting his life as a trainer. Must say, it was a great piece by them and has nothing to do with how good a presenter he is or not. Ted knows the people involved and Conor was comfortable in their company and they made a good pair!! I loved Ted's comment about Conor being a bit of a ladies man in his younger years......goes along with Ted's usual comment of "riding her mother!!"

Originally posted by Dante@Mar 28 2008, 10:15 AM
Is it possible to receive RTE racing coverage in mainland Britain?
Not sure, think the only way is to trick Sky into activating an Irish viewing card on a UK box.

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but since bookies started to sponsor the racing coverage:

a) We rarely see the rest of the field finishing behind the winner. The only time we see a strong finisher is when it is within the viewfinder or when a commentator decides to make a point about it and the film is replayed.

b) We never see the paddock coverage in "real time", which is usually taken up with some sort of triviality such as the recent building works, or who Thommo has spotted in the crowd/paddock. Okay, this is (sometimes) interesting, but could be shown while the horses go to post - if they must at all. The paddock coverage is generally shown just before the off and rarely in time to make a decision whether to bet or not.

c) We hardly ever see the horses going to post. Sometimes if a big (generally Flat) race is due off we will see the favourite going down, but very rarely any of the others.

I highlight these major irritations because when SIS was first introduced I fell into conversation with one of their team who mentioned that they had instructions not to pan back to the rest of the field behind the first couple home and, if the winner was clear, to focus entirely on that horse.

Don't know if RTE coverage is sponsored, but that might be the root of the problem.

Sadly, the BBC has started to do this as well and I have noticed, several times, Clare Balding trying to get the cameraman in the paddock to focus on the horse she is talking about, not on her.

Given up watching the Mac and Thommo Show as they seem to have entirely forgotten that the horses are the stars of the show.

Originally posted by an capall@Mar 28 2008, 10:46 AM
Live interview with Conor O'Dwyer last weekend after he had ridden his last winner and is going full time as a trainer.

Ted Walsh; " So Conor, you're a trainer now. Are you still going to be a nice bloke or are you going to turn into a right bollocks?"
Ha ha ha. Walsh is always good for a cracker

Back