Ruby Walsh, decisions, decisions

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Annie run in the Champion (perhaps, although less likely, both Champion and World). After all Mullins hasn't got much else in the Champion.:ninja:

Last edited:
In fact of course it is family first then business - if it were not he would still be doing the two jobs .

doing the 2 jobs could mean Townnend were Mullins jockey next season
Ruby is a very good jockey but it is a better politician

doing the 2 jobs could mean Townnend were Mullins jockey next season
Ruby is a very good jockey but it is a better politician

No chance - if Ruby were to have lost the job then it would have happened the year Townend became champion . Mullins and Nicholls had co existed for years there is no evidence Mullins pushed the issue .

Wicklow Brave running in a listed novice hurdle at Punchestown on Sunday.
Entered in the Supreme @ 33/1.

Possibly another tough decision for Ruby?

Wicklow Brave running in a listed novice hurdle at Punchestown on Sunday.
Entered in the Supreme @ 33/1.

Possibly another tough decision for Ruby?

Now 16/1 for the Supreme ! And he just beat LC much more comfortably and easily than Vatour beat LC.....

Interesting ................

Vautour cantered all over Lieutenant Colonel just as easily.

Maybe Grasshopper but I was keen on WB before today and took a small bit of 33/1 for the Supreme on Friday. Delighted with that now.

So I'll admit straight away that I might be a little biased on this one.

Just have to wait and see who Rides WB in the Supreme now.

Do you think WB's hurdling will have improved enough for/stand up to the cavalry charge of the Supreme?

Do you think WB's hurdling will have improved enough for/stand up to the cavalry charge of the Supreme?

It's a fair call. He was messy at the last today. I can only hope he will improve a bit. But I also feel he will come on a lot from that run today.

As I said I've only had a small bet for the Supreme at 33/1.

Nice lively outsider to have onside.

He made a howler of the last but I wasn't impressed with his hurdling at any stage today.

Better ground might help, I suppose.

the bolloc8s

"The lifespan of a jockey has definitely increased in the last 10 years," he said at the Irish Examiner sports breakfast in Cork.

Profiles R Walsh
"Whereas 34, 35 used to be the norm, it now seems to be 40 so hopefully I've a few more years in me, but if I was to go training horses I would train Flat horses.

"Flat racing is a business, it's where the money is. "Jump racing, unfortunately, is the poor relation. Flat racing is global, worldwide.

"Jump racing is confined between ourselves, England, a small bit in France, a tiny bit in Australia and a little bit in America.

"We were in Japan (for Blackstairmountain's victory in the Nakayama Grand Jump last April), there's big prize-money there, but there's very few races. Flat racing is global."

Ruby Walsh would consider training Flat horses when he retires from the saddle.
The star Irish National Hunt jockey believes it would make more economic sense to snub jumps racing when he eventually calls time on a distinguished riding career.
Walsh, 34, is, however, adamant retirement is not yet even a consideration.
"The lifespan of a jockey has definitely increased in the last 10 years," he said at the Irish Examiner sports breakfast in Cork.
"Whereas 34, 35 used to be the norm, it now seems to be 40 so hopefully I've a few more years in me, but if I was to go training horses I would train Flat horses.
"Flat racing is a business, it's where the money is.
"Jump racing, unfortunately, is the poor relation. Flat racing is global, worldwide.
"Jump racing is confined between ourselves, England, a small bit in France, a tiny bit in Australia and a little bit in America.
"We were in Japan (for Blackstairmountain's victory in the Nakayama Grand Jump last April), there's big prize-money there, but there's very few races.
"Flat racing is global."

Word on my injury is that it continues to make great progress. I could probably come back shortly before Punchestown, but have decided against that.

After riding at Punchestown my plan is to ride until the French Champion Hurdle in early June and then to have an operation. What that means is a tendon will have to be sewn back on to secure my shoulder.

Saw about 15 minutes of the interview-found it very interesting to contrast the theory of Willoughby and the practical experience of Ruby.
If I heard correctly Ruby will be at Royal Ascot for RUK.

Back