Ruby Walsh

Or just stupid risk-taking motivated entirely by short-term thinking? They're all crazy bastards really, so best of luck to him.

LOL - he was "in the locker" on Chris Evans show tonight and he said hed passed the doctors as fit - I have my doubts as to how sensible this is so soon, but good luck to him....

I saw him at Fairyhouse last weekend. He looked the same complexion as the light grey coat he was wearing.

As Gareth says, they're all mad bastards, all they think of is the winners they're missing out on. When you add to that the pressure of his main employers, possibly real and if not real then in any case easy to imagine, and you fear he might be rushing things. That said, he has a solid family looking out for him and he's come back very quickly from other injuries.

Fingers crossed, because he's the best NH jockey of my lifetime.

I rate him higher than McCoy.

McCoy set a new standard for others to aim at. Ruby Walsh has more than matched it.

Don't forget all he's doing in Ireland as well as the UK.

Don't forget all he's doing in Ireland as well as the UK.

Why would I forget what he's doing in Ireland as well? But I don't see the point you are making in any case, he's riding for 2 top stables instead of one and does travelling by plane rather than car. How does that make him the best jockey of his generation?

A lot of people only look at the UK table and think that McCoy is still the top jockey around in terms of races and prize money won. Walsh took over from McCoy a few years ago on the money front when you take Irish and UK stats together.

Apart from that, I think he is the match of McCoy in a finish and a better tactician and horseman. McCoy still has an edge in pure doggedness.

As Gareth says, they're all mad bastards, all they think of is the winners they're missing out on.

I met him in the owners stand after the Drinmore and his words were "missed two f***ing grade ones there and Brave Inca to come". I said hello too!!

I met him in the owners stand after the Drinmore and his words were "missed two f***ing grade ones there and Brave Inca to come". I said hello too!!

Its also a very valuable period coming up for even a jockey with as much as Walsh...always an important factor.

Now this will make me more hated than usual but all those who think R. Walsh is better than AP are at best Stupid...At worst not worth bothering with again.
R Walsh is class but AP is a legend full stop

Who would you want riding for you in a seller at Taunton? Mc Coy

Who would you want if you had a Gold Cup prospect?....gotta be Ruby

I really do hope he doesn't have an awkward fall as the area must be very tender after one rupture despite its recovery, god forbid nothing bad happens.

Now this will make me more hated than usual but all those who think R. Walsh is better than AP are at best Stupid...At worst not worth bothering with again.
R Walsh is class but AP is a legend full stop

Such a compelling arguement it's hard to disagree :blink:

They are different types of jockeys and incomparable imo. Both top class ,I don't think it's possible to pick who the better one is from one day to the next.

The difference is McCoy always tries, which is nice to know when you're considering who to back in a race.

Last edited:
A lot of people only look at the UK table and think that McCoy is still the top jockey around in terms of races and prize money won. Walsh took over from McCoy a few years ago on the money front when you take Irish and UK stats together.

Isn't that related to whom they ride for rather than their merits as riders?

The difference is McCoy always tries, which is nice to know when you're considering who to back in a race.

Does Roger Federer try to win a smaller tournament as much as he does Wimbledon? Of course not, but he is still the greatest tennis player in the history.

Quote David Johnson
Originally Posted by Grey

Isn't that related to whom they ride for rather than their merits as riders?

I wouldn't want to rely on that argument alone, but it is hardly an accident that the two best stables on respective sides of the Irish Sea want his services so badly that they are willing to share him.

That's not my point; my point is Ruby drops his hands when he can't win. He should be done for it, but he won't because of who he is.

Last edited:
Back