Russell late for dope test

Grey

Senior Jockey
From irishracing.com

Dope test slipped Russell's mind

Mon, 21st Feb, 2011

Jockey Davy Russell, whose failure to show for a urine sample on time at Naas yesterday was referred on to the Turf Club for further investigation, has stated that the dope test “just slipped my mind”.

Russell, a non-drinker, said “there was too much going on as I was in for a stewards' inquiry after the Woodlands Park Chase and I was involved in the 'jockey Olympics' and looking at entries and it just slipped my mind.

"I forgot and left the track and it was an error on my part but I came back to give a urine sample when I got a call, so there shouldn't be any problem."
Russell currently lies in joint third place in the Jump Jockeys’ Championship on 56 winners.

Last year there was the mouthwash incident at Listowel. An initial test that day showed him to be above the limit for alcohol but a second test shortly after put him in the clear. He blamed the first reading on the mouthwash he had been using.

Given there's already a little bit of history here, I think it's being presumptious to say "there shouldn't be any problem". I'd imagine there will have to be some, possibly minor, penalty.

There are plenty of 'tee-totallers' who would fail a breath test - quite a few of them in the racing industry!!

He was smoking something during the jockeys olympics. Presumed it was a cigarette but you never know!!

Davy is as straight as the road from Cork to Dublin...... The old one obviously!:whistle:

Didn't Rio Ferdinand get a lengthy ban for something similar?

Back