Ryanair Chase

fonz

At the Start
Despite a cracking performance from Coneygree today the main thing I took from todays Denman chase was
Taquin Du Seil blatantly does not stay 3m and as such will surely be heading for the Ryanair.
The race was looking quite hot a few weeks back but doubts over the front 2 in the betting in the Champion Chase may mean Al Ferof and Champagne Fever are heading there.
The main players in this are likely to be Cue Card (Gone at the game?)Don Cossack(Will he handle the track?Good traveller?) Johns Spirit (Handicapper) and Ballycasey (Tripless).
When you way all that up 16/1 looks fair for TDS:cool:.

Last edited:
If Cue Card was gone at the game he wouldn't have finished as close as he did in the King George. Good ground/Cheltenham are his optimum conditions

Joe Tizzard interviewed at Kempton yesterday said they thought Cue Card had suffered a career ending overreach injury after the KG but are happier with hin now and confident of a good run in the Ryanair

If Cue Card was gone at the game he wouldn't have finished as close as he did in the King George. Good ground/Cheltenham are his optimum conditions

10l worse than he did last season, despite not having ground out the searing pace he set then?
Good luck with that project.

Cue Card was beaten 20L in his first go at the King George, and it didn't stop him going on to win the Ryanair. His form at Kempton is utterly meaningless in the context of the Ryanair Chase, as will become evident at the Festival, where he'll get his ideal race conditions for the first time in 2 years.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be ruling Cue Card out.

Don Cossack is going to be bang there.

Eduard needs to jump slicker. With that, he could be a player if lining up.

I wouldn't be ruling Cue Card out.

Don Cossack is going to be bang there.

Eduard needs to jump slicker. With that, he could be a player if lining up.
Man that would be some parade through Greystoke on the friday
The Ryanair winner and the Champion Chaser :p

Last edited:
I worry about Cue Card and get the distinct feeling we may have seen the best of him. I honestly think his best days are behind him and he's a bit on the soft side.

Kinda daft thing to say about a horse who has been seen to run on like a tiger on occasions but he has been folding too easily, for my liking, lately.

I was really impressed by Balder Succes the other day but noted barry Geraghty's comment on Ma Filleule.

He said prior to the race that he expected a big improvement in her performance because she really comes to herself in the spring.

If he is correct there no reason why she can't improve even further by the time the Festival come round.

She is certainly tough enough and talented enough to run a big race and she will be getting a valuable allowance.

Tanlic, it's my belief that the world will fold-in on itself, the day you fail to make a case for a horse trained by someone called Henderson or O'Neill, so - for all our sakes - please keep up the good work.

Well right now my main fancies for Cheltenham are Faugheen, Sprinter Sacre and my banker is Peace and Co.

Caracci Apache, Beat That, Hunt Ball, MaFilleule, Bob's Worth I would give good ew chances to

Lami' Serge, Blue Fashion Whisper, Josse's hill, I wouldn't back with your money.

IMO Holywell will be placed at best after watching him at Kelso and Taquin Du Seil wins absolutely nothing in my book.

Fancying 2 horses of Nicky Henderson's strongly, giving a few an ew chance and fancying nothing of Jonjo's is hardly being biased.

Others I think have outstanding chances are Annie Power, UDS, Don Poli NH Chase, Apache Stronghold.

I doubt if anyone fancies backing against Nicky Henderson having at least 2 winners at the meeting.

My take is Sprinter Sacre is as near a certainty as you will get. He is expected to be 100% plus at Cheltenham if continuing to go the way he is going and considering he only needs to come on a few pound from Ascot how anyone can think he won't is beyond me. Looking for something to beat him won't be found in that race..........Only if he is physically unsound or he has an accident will he be beaten

NJH and Barry Geraghty both believe Peace and Co is an exceptional horse heading right to the top.....BG is usually very laid back about horses but apparently not when his name is mentioned.

What's not to fancy?

NJH and Barry Geraghty both believe Peace and Co is an exceptional horse heading right to the top.....BG is usually very laid back about horses but apparently not when his name is mentioned.

Barry will only ride Peace And Co if Jacob rejects it.

Looking for something to beat him won't be found in that race..........Only if he is physically unsound or he has an accident will he be beaten

I've got to say..that if SS does not win..there is no way on earth anyone who supports him or is connected with him will say..he got beat by a better horse on the day..there will be some reason why he hasn't won

if any horse beats him it will get very little credit for doing so..as with DB last time.

its a bit unfortunate really because even without SS it has hallmarks of a decent race..but if SS doesn't win..the winner won't get the plaudits it deserves

Looking for something to beat him won't be found in that race..........Only if he is physically unsound or he has an accident will he be beaten

I've got to say..that if SS does not win..there is no way on earth anyone who supports him or is connected with him will say..he got beat by a better horse on the day..there will be some reason why he hasn't won

if any horse beats him it will get very little credit for doing so..as with DB last time.

its a bit unfortunate really because even without SS it has hallmarks of a decent race..but if SS doesn't win..the winner won't get the plaudits it deserves

I suppose it's only to be expected. We have been hit smack between the eyes with the best since Arkle....So we will always get so and so only won because

Unless of course UDS is the 3rd coming :cool: then the fun really begins if SS comes back to his best

Last edited:
Back