Ryanair Chase

Despite a cracking performance from Coneygree today the main thing I took from todays Denman chase was
Taquin Du Seil blatantly does not stay 3m and as such will surely be heading for the Ryanair.
The race was looking quite hot a few weeks back but doubts over the front 2 in the betting in the Champion Chase may mean Al Ferof and Champagne Fever are heading there.
The main players in this are likely to be Cue Card (Gone at the game?)Don Cossack(Will he handle the track?Good traveller?) Johns Spirit (Handicapper) and Ballycasey (Tripless).
When you way all that up 16/1 looks fair for TDS:cool:.
TDS has an even more interesting in the Brown Stable Plate.
Could it be he's been lined up for the handicap and not the Ryanair, fonz?

Last edited:
I sincerley hope not as iv'e been backing him way before NRNB came in, I read a link saying Jonjo had basically earmarked the Ryanair as his target and IMO a competitive handicap off 159 with at least half a dozen plots just wouldn't be the right place for him.

I sincerley hope not as iv'e been backing him way before NRNB came in, I read a link saying Jonjo had basically earmarked the Ryanair as his target and IMO a competitive handicap off 159 with at least half a dozen plots just wouldn't be the right place for him.
Best of luck with that. Looking at the RP say's he's rated 154 now.

Also has John's Spirit in both races, I wonder if he'll send one for the Ryanair and one for the Plate.

In any event, he currently has two of the top rated horses in the Plate with these two horses. It's times like this I like to see what else he has down the bottom of weights!

There's one called Festive Affair which is entered on the 27th Feb at Newbury. He's been expected to go well the last twice judging by the odds but underperformed at a time when the trainer was badly out of form. Interesting to see if he takes up his entry on Friday.
Also entered in the Grand Annual I should add.

Last edited:
Ryanair now likely port of call for Ballycasey if coming over. Not a handicap as previously mentioned. Not that I fancy him.
The national has been mentioned as an option if running well :blink:

Where was this reported, CL?
That's very disappointing news for those who have backed him for the Ryanair isn't it.

I have this between Cue Card and Hidden Cyclone. It's not as strong a renewal as last year which automatically puts Hidden Cyclone right there. Cue Card this season has proven what we already knew. He doesn't stay 3 miles. When seeing 4's and 5's against his name this season you'd be inclined to think he's regressed but he's travelled perfectly well into his races but simply hasn't stayed. He's a live player IMO.

Ballynagour is potentially interesting but he has just enough form in the book to figure out where his level is. As for the others I can't have the Balder Succes or TDS form. It's way below that of last years renewal of this race. As for the fav, well he's got to be one of the most undeserving favs of the whole festival. Granted he's got a lot of 1's against his name but what has he actually beaten? As far as I can see its a couple of Gold Cup horses over a seriously inadequate trip.

Can't have the mare or John's Spirit either. Champagne Fever would be an absolute cert if he went for this, but I've got to accept he isn't and the two proven Ryanair performers are the obvious choices.

Cue Card's jumping hasn't been nearly as slick as it was prior to his absence, and he was beaten before stamina became an issue twice this season around sharp 3 milers.
Agree Don Cossack's probably overrated, but Balder Succes was impressive when picking Ma Filleule up in just a few strides at Ascot, and is a perfect 4 from 4 around the RyanAir trip, over fences.

Must admit Balder Sucess scares me having backed Ma Filleule 11.5 and you have to fear Don Cossack for that matter.

When you eliminate those that are likely not to turn up there's not a lot of depth in this years renewal.

Cue Card seems to have something ailing him and he cant be trusted to put his best foot forward

If John's Spirit wins I'll eat my heart and TDS is fucked for want of a better word.

If WPM has made a mistake at Cheltenham it's not running Champagne Fever in this the way it's cutting up.

I love Cue Card to death, but agree with Reet his jumping just hasn't been slick this year. Read they plan to lead with him in this, so perhaps that and better ground could revitalize CC. Not a betting proposition for me at the prices though, so will be a watch race unless he's a big drifter on the day

He had a bad overreach last time that was like a flap on a tent door so he could be semi excused
Plus the time before was over 3 miles 1f against the top chaser in the country.
The more suitable trip and less restraint could see him bounce back
I wouldn't expect too big a drift though as he's very likely to lead and go lower in running...........great back to lay if he did go big 11 or 12 , but doubtful

I love Cue Card to death, but agree with Reet his jumping just hasn't been slick this year. Read they plan to lead with him in this, so perhaps that and better ground could revitalize CC. Not a betting proposition for me at the prices though, so will be a watch race unless he's a big drifter on the day

He's always jumped better out of good ground.

I still have complete faith in Cue Card.

This season, he's returned from injury with a new jockey, he was giving stacks of weight over an inadequte trip on his comeback, and has been ridden non-optimally in his two 3m+ outings this season; trips that everyone - with the apparent exception of his trainer - knew he did not stay.

For the first time in a long time, he will get absolutely his optimum conditions at Chelts, in terms of trip, track and going. He will win the Ryanair, and 6/1+ is a belting price. He has too much class for this level of opposition.

Apologies DO you caught me at a bad Grassy moment:). Jacob is Munir's jockey but he only gets the choice of mounts when there's no stable jockey involved...In this case Barry gets first choice.

I don't think this is right, Tanlic.

My understanding is that DJ gets first choice the Munir horses regardless.

I think Tanlic has already alluded to this but why on earth are Hidden Cyclone connections favouring the CC? He ran an absolute cracker in the Ryanair last year and just found one very good horse better. If there was a time to go for the QM it was last year, not when its the hottest renewal for quite some time.

Alright he ran a tad keenly last year but now another 12 months older he's hardly getting quicker over 2 miles. I hope to God they aren't thinking he didn't stay last year. Sometimes you just have to admit you were beaten by a better animal. Apart from an in form Cue Card there is nothing in the Ryanair this year that would touch Dynaste.

Two words "Don Cossack "
At ten this is last chance realistically to run a top 2 mile Chase, or even a Festival Grade 1.
He was not finishing his races and was very keen through his races.
The latter trait seems to be sorted and the former trait surely screams going the shorter trip.
Andrew McNamara having won a QMCC on Newmill would be best to advise Shark the best race to go for.
I imagine they could be changing their minds every day as the positive vibes keep coming for the 2 mile big guns !
It looked an easier decision three weeks ago than it does now for sure.

Back